Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Active games programmers  (Read 3323 times)

Description:

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
Re: Active games programmers
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 02:12:51 AM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;732552
When work isn't taking every waking moment, I do play around on my various Amigas; almost always in a programming perspective. I admit though that I get mired down in the semantics of trying to modernized my coding environment on the Amiga more than I do in actually producing any code on it.

That pretty much sums me up too. I actually have several ideas for games I'd like to implement, but then I get distracted by spending time trying to get the code up "up to spec." Then, some other distraction comes along and... there it sits.

And I didn't vote because I prefer C++. I've always hated C.
Ed.

Offline mikrucioTopic starter

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 02:53:24 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;732630
That pretty much sums me up too. I actually have several ideas for games I'd like to implement, but then I get distracted by spending time trying to get the code up "up to spec." Then, some other distraction comes along and... there it sits.

And I didn't vote because I prefer C++. I've always hated C.

thanks ed, c++ is in the same bucket. please vote!

And what do you mean up to spec?

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 03:30:25 AM »
68K all the way :D C is for the peecee :D

But... am I active? Not really :(

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 04:57:25 AM »
Well, instead of up to spec I should instead say more modernized. I know that also sounds crazy since I mentioned Objective-C and technically it's quite old itself. I program in a lot of languages across the board. I know that I can use C++ on the Amiga. I have a registered copy of Cubic IDE. I also SAS/C 6.58 or whatever the latest C++ capable version is.

I also am one of the fortunate ones to have a working Amiga 1200/PPC that runs OS4.1. That environment is pretty nice. I keep wanting to get myself a NG Amiga so I can really appreciate it.

Mostly though I've been doing a lot of iOS development (Objective C/C++) and HTML/CSS3/JavaScript programming alongside Node.JS. I keep seeing about getting V8 and Node.JS running on the Amiga and then I realize I need up to date versions of dev tools to compile it.

Then I would start down the path of seeing how far I could get. I'd usually make some progress and then rat hole chasing down broken links for libraries and whispers of solutions or knee deep in trying to compile a bunch of GNU tools to get things moving.

Eventually I'd get so lost in my quest to have a modern tool of some sort as seen on another more modern platform that I'd waste what little free time I had to spare. The worst part is usually I could have written everything I wanted in C in the time I wasted seeking "better" tools. :-)

Story of my recent Amiga life.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline EDanaII

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 06:08:18 AM »
Well, instead of up to spec I should instead say more modernized. I know that also sounds crazy since I mentioned Objective-C and technically it's quite old itself. I program in a lot of languages across the board. I know that I can use C++ on the Amiga. I have a registered copy of Cubic IDE. I also SAS/C 6.58 or whatever the latest C++ capable version is.

Well, that's pretty much what I mean by "up to spec." :) Except I end up doing this instead:
Code: [Select]
#include <iostream>

#include <proto/dos.h>

#include &quot;GraphicsLibrary.h&quot;
#include &quot;IntuitionLibrary.h&quot;
#include &quot;ScreenBase.h&quot;

struct GfxBase* GfxBase = NULL;
struct IntuitionBase* IntuitionBase = NULL;
struct Library *GadToolsBase = NULL;

ScreenBase screen;

int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
try {
GfxBase = GraphicsLibrary.GetGfxBase( );
IntuitionBase = IntuitionLibrary.GetIntuitionBase( );

ScreenBase screen = ScreenBase( );
screen.open();

Delay(5 * 50);

screen.close();
std::cout << &quot;\nAnd there was much rejoicing...\n&quot;;
}
catch (SystemLibraryException &error) {
std::cout << error.Name << &quot; version: &quot; << error.Version << &quot; failed to open&quot;;
}

IntuitionLibrary.close( );
GraphicsLibrary.close( );
GadToolsLibrary.close( );

return 0;
}

Which, to me, is a lot more elegant than the older, clumsier Amiga way of doing things.

Eventually I'd get so lost in my quest to have a modern tool of some sort as seen on another more modern platform that I'd waste what little free time I had to spare. The worst part is usually I could have written everything I wanted in C in the time I wasted seeking "better" tools. :-)

Yep. Me too. Mostly because I lack the knowledge yet of the full Amiga architecture. But then, I'd get pulled away because of work, my (now deceased) father, family, my father's trust or the WWII web site I maintain. So many distractons, so little time.

But this is something I enjoy doing, so I don't consider it time wasted. It's just my way of building appreciation of what was once Amiga. :)

@ mikrucio

OK, you've talked me into it. :)

As to "up to spec" see my response to nyteschade. I just like using the more modern coding paradigms...
Ed.

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 06:43:54 AM »
@EDanaII

What libraries/compilers are you using to use C++ that way with the Amiga?
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 06:46:01 AM »
Hmmm well I was using Blitz 2.1 and it was fine for my textured floor Shmup with a few copperlists here and there.

(due to the difficulty finding some big box kit Buck Rogers is shelved for good now, as is Gradius and my 2.5D 'forest game')

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »
With regard to modern languages, I find that AmigaE is well suited to the newer object-oriented paradigms for the most part.  Once I get my CF adapter into my A1200, I plan on trying to cross-compile code to it using my AROS VM as a PortablE environment.

One thing I am adamant about is that I don't want to support graphics card Amigas exclusively.  The chipset was what made the Amiga.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »
Here I was thinking that objective-C was an iOS only thing.
But the try-catch is such a nice feature to have, I use it constantly in php and javascript.

So how do I get to work with objective-c on the amiga?

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »
I keep meaning to port a game I released on BlackberryOS last month to Amiga 68k and MorphOS but haven't had enough free time as yet.  Sometimes it feels like there aren't enough hours in the day.  I mostly coded in 68k asm in the past but I'll be using 'C' for this, as the original code is all in 'C'.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;732595
I'd love to use it, but its 68020+ only, which I have with no way to display.  The only computer I can monitor-ize is the A2000 with a 68010.

SAS/C 6.50 is available from the TOSEC Amiga collection on archive.org and the updates to 6.58 are on aminet.

It should run nicely on your A2000.

Failing that you can also get Aztec C from TOSEC too.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline EDanaII

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »
@ Nyteschayde

Oops, sorry, Nyteschayde, maybe I wasn't clear. The library is _mine._ It's what I end up doing instead of what I intended to do, driven by my desire to see a slightly more modern coding paradigm on the venerable old Amiga. :)

The compiler, as I pointed out in another thread, is ZeroHero's cross compiler GCC 3.4 (I think). I'm using that as a tool chain in Eclipse.
Ed.

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »
C here, working on something with vbcc...

to me, vbcc seems to generate unaligned reads on 68000, so works fine on 020+ in my testing.
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline mikrucioTopic starter

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »
cool guys, keep em coming!
I know there is more! keep this thread alive!

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 06:17:52 AM »
When my professional game coding career ends (my current job will be my last job), I'd like to create a whole pile of freely available audio tech that runs on many platforms. I'd be targeting everything from GPU to traditional CPUs. Amiga is one platform I would like to include, if anything as a low anchor to keep the code honest. Really I just want to see if I can design architectures that can scale well from the lowest to highest end machines. The reality is most of the stuff I would run in the Amiga would be downright comically slow and neutered, but I'd like to include it anyway.

I've never been one to actually do too much direct game coding, but one thing I would like to try at some point is to create some accurate as possible classic arcade clones that run on say an A500. For me, I'm just curious to try and see if this can be achieved.

But in other words, I'm not active ... always wanted to do more over 20 years ago on the Amiga, still thinking I might have a chance to play with it some day.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 24, 2013, 07:49:20 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;732677
SAS/C 6.50 is available from the TOSEC Amiga collection on archive.org and the updates to 6.58 are on aminet.

It should run nicely on your A2000.

Failing that you can also get Aztec C from TOSEC too.

It does run just fine :D

Although, I am not too sure what all the widgets do, and it took me  a while to figure out how to tell it to compile and link.