Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga project - need some help...  (Read 1280 times)

Description:

Offline PertinaxTopic starter

• Show only replies by Pertinax
    • http://www.heaven-knows.net/
Amiga project - need some help...
« on: March 01, 2003, 11:56:49 AM »
Hello everybody!!

Right, here we go:

I need a new ide buffered interface - I currently have an Eyetech one, but for certain reasons wold prefer to use the Elbox/Power Computing EIDE'99 one.  Can I just swap the two or do I NEED to installer the Elbox software for it to work? (as opposed to using IdeFix as I do currently)

Does the Subway USB clockport controller work via the clockport(s) on the Z-IV busboard?  Anyone use one in this manner?  I've filled all my zorro slots...

Are the A600/A1200 keyboards/connectors identical (except keypad etc)?  Can I do a straight swap between the two?

How (i.e. where and which way round) do I fit a push-on-a-chip keyboard adapter?

Thanks in advance chaps (and any chap-esses...)

Jason (jason@heaven-knows.net)

Offline Skippy

• Show only replies by Skippy
Re: Amiga project - need some help...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 12:48:03 PM »
You can find the software for both ide interfaces here:

http://www.amigarealm.com/amiga/amios/ops13.htm

Skippy
Squareroot of all fluffiness.

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 12:52:34 PM »
1. Yep IDEFix software works fine on the elbox interfaces

2. I think it works on the clockports, check the subway website out (forgotten url) theres a long list of machines its been tested on.

3. the A1200/A600 connectors are identical, I have used an A600 keyboard in an A1200 before.

Not to sure what you mean in your last question.

Hope that helps :-)
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 01:07:48 PM »
When I say "push-on-a-chip" keyboard adapter...

Its a chip socket type external keyboard adpater, this one being made by Individual Computers.
The socket pushes down onto a chip on the motherboard and lets you attach an external keyboard.  From what I can remeber they also allow multiple key presses.  The one I've got seems to have been sold by Power Computing, but I've no idea how to fit it (I seem to recall it fitted over the Lisa chip?)  

Any ideas?

And thanks for the help people!!  :))  

Jason

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 01:52:05 PM »
hmm dont know about that, I've never owned one, you could try www.amiga-hardware.com see if theres any info on it there, or contact jens via email, you can find the url for that yourself ;-)
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline Skippy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2003, 02:02:35 PM »
I've got one of those Eyetech "push-on-a-chip" keyboard adapter devices, ugly contraption, with a din keyboard connector. Lives in the loft now.

Like how many people these days use din connectors? So I converted it to a PS/2.

I also did the same to my other keyboard adaptor that slots into the a1200s' ribbon slot; again ugly contraption that wrecks the ribbon slot and that was original provided with a din connector.

A brief list of again mis-informed information from Eyetech.

I buy an accelerator that kept over-heating and crashing my computer because it not designed for a1200 desktops; but towers! And needs a FAN!

The EZ Tower I purchased ruined my a1200 case as it required me to cut away sections to fit into the tower. what?! That went in the bin.

Upon purchasing my accelerator, unfolds this string of "you need a timing fix on your motherboard", "your motherboard is a bugged revision" etc.

So then I have to pay additional money to get all these problems fixed, tower the computer, buy keyboard adaptors, face plates and god knows what other rubbish, just to use an accelerator.

AND purchase an a4000 keyboard, then I am required to convert YOUR keyboard adaptor to use it, cheers Eyetech.

The best of it, I don't even have the accelerator anymore, because thanks to YOUR engineers in their great wisdom 'hot-glued' my accelerator to the motherboard for transportation reasons, after I returned the whole system to you to fix the m/b bugs, that you failed to inform me about at the time of purchase.

So consequently when I attempted to remove it at a later date to upgrade my system I ripped off a chip that was drowned in this stuff.

I had to solder it back on and this voided my warranty, then you later tried to taken action against me for voicing my opinions in a consumer 'watchdog' bbs I setup.

Anyways,

Skippy

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2003, 02:11:17 PM »
The one I've got seems to have been sold by Power Computing

The keyboard adapter I've got is from Eyetech, so this may not apply to you - email Power Computing BEFORE doing anything ;-)

The one from Eyetech fits over the chip immediately to the right of the original keyboard connector (when looking from the front of an A1200), there is a blue capacitor that the adapter reaches to just to the right of the chip.

Having just looked at the Power Computing website the adaptors they sell (here and here) seem to fit in the original keyboard connector.

The adapters from Eyetech however do not look like these at all (if you check their website they have the same pictures, but I have just received a keyboard adapter from them myself.)

If you look here you will see the instructions for installing their interface (the one that fits over the chip).  My interface looks similar to the one shown here, but it only has the To Keyboard Socket, and the Hard Reset Connector.

I advise you to check with Power Computing and Eyetech before doing anything with the adapter, just to make sure that nothing will go wrong.

Hope that helps :-)
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2003, 03:46:07 PM »
The best of it, I don't even have the accelerator anymore, because thanks to YOUR engineers in their great wisdom 'hot-glued' my accelerator to the motherboard for transportation reasons, after I returned the whole system to you to fix the m/b bugs, that you failed to inform me about at the time of purchase.

What kind of clowns work at Eyetech???
Glue an accelerator to the computer???
Total incompetence!!!
Why didn´t they just send it in a separate protected box so you could install it yourself ?
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2003, 04:00:54 PM »
What kind of clowns work at Eyetech???

I've never liked Eyetech, they were always really unhelpful, all they wanted was my money.  Power on the other hand were excellent, they have even helped me with stuff I got from other places.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2003, 04:14:42 PM »
Clowns work at Power, unhelpfull for me and had no manners regarding a query i had about one of there products i had purchased.

Never had a problem with Eyetech

Offline Skippy

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2003, 04:31:35 PM »

Why didn´t they just send it in a separate protected box so you could install it yourself ?

Exactly!

Bodged job, conned, ripped off, no after-service, poor technical support. W@nk3r$

I spent over a £1000 upgrading my system, biggest waste of money ever!

More CONS exposed:
The £50-70 [at the time] "MEGA"-Power Supplies they flog you, as recommended when adding expansions for more 'beef' and stability, are nothing more than an AT PSU that you could have easily picked up for a about 10 quid.

I actually MADE one myself by simply researching the AT psu pin-outs, the one I am presently using.

The Ethernet PCMCIA adaptor contains nothing more than a standard IBM card. The case is some d-i-y 'maplin' effort, and for some reason has a V9 battery flap. Basically they've taken a project box and bodged a network card inside.

Plus; they actually handcrafted the f#cking pcmcia card slot, with what I can only assume was with a pen-knife.

Inside, reveils more eyetech bodges as the pins from the adaptor board to the pcmcia card are twisted and bent.

Hardware manuals are nothing more than A4 photocopies, that are so poor they are un-readable.

I can't believe I'm still so angry with them, so many years of hatred towards them.

Skippy.

I'll try and upload some photos of their bodge products.

Boo Eyetech, shame on you! Hiss.

PS: Apologises to Wayne Hunt for bad mouthing Eyetech via his service.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2003, 04:42:08 PM »
@Skippy

So can I assume you have not ordered that ....

..... mmmm what was it called ?
Touring-VX ?

:-P  ;-)  :-D  :-o  8-)  :-?  :-o  ;-)  ;-)  :-?  ;-)

/me hopes thats enough of them small buggers
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2003, 05:23:33 PM »
Well, I've managed to get the keyboard adapter working, will place my orders for the ide interface tonight, and then ask some questions over at the highway/subway usb yahoo! group :)

Thanks again everyone! :))

Jason

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2003, 05:46:03 PM »
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say no probs mate.

Come back anytime with more questions, someone's bound to be able to help you again.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel