Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org  (Read 29008 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Amiga.org
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »
Man, I would never want to be a moderator on this site.  It's like being a ref in roller derby.  One of the hardest, most unrewarding jobs, everybody hates you, everybody's always yelling at you, and you're lucky if someone even buys you a beer at the after-party to say 'thanks'!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
It looks like Mr. Goodyear was right.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »
@Gizmo350
IMHO, I would really like to see a whole new landing page with small sections of cool new products, pics, Trevor's blog sampling, new news blurbs, Amiga peeps in action, that sort of thing!

Yes this maybe a good idea, something definately to consider.  We would have to ask the Amiga.org regulars what they would prefer in terms of layout.

I myself would prefer tutorials contributed on how to install Classic hardware or software, reviews and support pages. We need to open a thread to canvas ideas.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:46:50 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
Its a valid concern when one camp buys amiga.org that the site will be censored heavily because they have a vested financial interest in doing so. Already shown now that posts counter to their agenda will be edited, deleted or heavily censored.

I would have the same concern if MorphOS developers or AROS developers bought amiga.org. Hope this forum stays worth visiting, but it looks bad already...

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2014, 09:26:48 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;766478
Its a valid concern when one camp buys amiga.org that the site will be censored heavily because they have a vested financial interest in doing so. Already shown now that posts counter to their agenda will be edited, deleted or heavily censored.

I would have the same concern if MorphOS developers or AROS developers bought amiga.org. Hope this forum stays worth visiting, but it looks bad already...

Uhm, when has Trevor ever been in any way hostile to MOS, AROS, Pegasos, Minimig, FPGA Arcade, or anything else out there? Doesn't he have one of everything, and enjoy them all?
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »
Considering the relativly large Classic Hardware inventory Amigakit got in their shop I would find it very unlikely that that aspect of the community will be "disciminated".
Considering the content of Trevors blog and Amigakits wide array of goods Id say they are quite balanced in their intrest of Classic+NG.

Im puzzled by these imaginary "lines in the sand" between the "camps" that the community insist are drawn up.

Or maybe Im more like Epsilon; glass half full kinda type.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
What are we school yard kids? Blue, Red, NG, Classic... should all be "Amiga". The Amiga community is a small place, let's all just get along :-)

As a side note can we get back the last 50 posts/latest posts links on the main page??
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline itix

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »
Quote from: billt;766480
Uhm, when has Trevor ever been in any way hostile to MOS, AROS, Pegasos, Minimig, FPGA Arcade, or anything else out there? Doesn't he have one of everything, and enjoy them all?

Certain moderators are hostile. Luckily some of them are not moderators here anymore but with moderators this site rises or keeps going on its death spiral.

For now it is not looking good.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:56:01 PM by itix »

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2014, 10:12:59 PM »
Quote from: mikeymike;766470
3k posts and this is the first time you've seen me?  New moderator, no.  I just haven't been around for a while and responded to a reported post.

MIKEY!!!!! Welcome back, Mate! Where have *YOU* been hiding? :)

Whoa. Trev's back too? What's going on here? :lol:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:15:10 PM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
Glad to see the usual suspects are living up to their normal levels of optimism and inclusivity... :)

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2014, 10:23:09 PM »
A post edited misteriusly, moderators away just with "easy-speak" threads about something closer to non sense and hundreds of fans of a "company" selling overpriced things using the amiga name...
a1200 060

Offline itix

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 10:27:32 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;766486
A post edited misteriusly, moderators away just with "easy-speak" threads about something closer to non sense and hundreds of fans of a "company" selling overpriced things using the amiga name...

Maybe it is time to abandon this site for good.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
Maybe yes.
a1200 060

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:58 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;766367
Surely the owners of the site could even sack the moderators and do whatever they wanted. I'm not saying they would, but you're saying they cannot.

That is not what I wrote at all.  Members will post what ever they decide to send to the forums when they click the "Submit Reply" button, or when they create a new thread in any forum.  A-Eon, through the use of their moderators, will choose to permit any particular post to remain un-moderated, or to moderate by editing, or deleting any post, that they decide is in violation of the Terms of Service for posting on this forum site.

How do you interpret what I wrote as saying that the new owners or management can't sack the moderators?  Of course they can.:)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 11:42:52 PM »
Quote from: itix;766487
Maybe it is time to abandon this site for good.

morphzone looks like a good place to stay and if in concern of amiga there is still lots cool stuff going on on eab, in fact currently much more than here or on aw.net. its another safe place amongst others. so i dont think that it would hurt anyone even if amiga.org went down.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
But ask yourselves: WHY?
« Reply #74 from previous page: June 13, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
"NutsAboutAmiga" raises a very good and valid point in the "Change in Amiga.org ownership" thread over at AW.net (a thread that was completely *massacred* by moderator "Amigadave", who is also a moderator here, BTW).

He simply ask the question: WHY?

I think more people should do the same and ask themselves this question, and then try to answer it. I mean, it wasn't like Amiga.org was in need of "saving", there was no need for pity or charity, it wasn't like the site would have closed down without their intervention or anything like that. So why?

Not everyone agrees in that "NG" is real Amiga, not everyone agrees in that OS4 is the best "NG" solution (or that it's even a good, usable, stable, feature complete enough option at all), not everyone agrees in that PPC is a viable HW platform for "NG", not everyone agrees in that $3,000+ "NG" machines that builds on everything just mentioned is the way forward for Amiga (or a way at all). Some would even say that some or all of those thing just mentioned are actually *bad*!

But then there are stake holders in all those things, that has a *financial interest* in the success of them.

Matthew Leaman is a self-proclamed OS4 development sponsor, post Hyperion (and their unpaid developers who simply left). While not a stake holder in the OS4 IP (Right? Or is that the next "big announcement"? Are *you* the owner of the "X-kernel"?), he is playing it by the ringside, by investing in core driver and SW development for OS4, like modern GFX drivers, etc, etc. Given the current poor state of the OS4 project, he "is" OS4 today, his investments clearly makes him a stake holder, official or not.

Matthew Leaman is today also A-Eon, who owns the X1000/"Nemo" motherboard that is used as a core component in a certain computer system. His investments (and official role and position in the company), clearly makes him a stake holder in the particular HW offering (as well as future offerings) provided by this company.

Matthew Leaman is of course also "AmigaKit", who is putting together those $3,000+ "X1000" systems based on the "Nemo" motherboard. This (AmigaKit) was his first and probably the dearest ("Amiga" related at least) business of his. He is *the* stake holder in the system building and retailing business of the X1000/Nemo/OS4.

(Of course, in many of the above mentioning's of "Matthew Leaman", you could also blend in "Trevor Dickinson" to various degrees (degrees that may still be changing, not that it matters for the point of this post))

To summon it up, there is a lot of *financial interest* from some stake holding parties in the success of some very particular and rather narrow options in the "Amiga World" today!

The last piece of the jigsaw, the missing piece of the puzzle, is how the market *perceives* what's being offered! Where are purchase decisions being made? Where are consumer's information being gathered before a major investment?

--> ONLINE DISCUSSIONS <--

The by far biggest, oldest, and most "reliable" source of information and online Amiga discussions is probably: Amiga.org!

The takeover of Amiga.org is simply a move from strong stake holders of *one particular "amiga offering"* to gain control of the online perception of their product! It couldn't be anything else!

Some people ask: So you are going to place banners and advertising all over the place now? A rather naive question IMHO. Of course not. The point is gaining control over the database, over everything that has been said - and is being said - about what the stake holders are interested in (read above!). Moderation! Editing! Banning!

The last time we saw this kind of "involvement" from a strong financial stake holder, was when Eyetech/Hyperion wanted to promote their (original) "AmigaOne" system. They were strong financial stake holders in that particular HW/SW/OS solution. The only problem was that a competitor was way ahead, and had a far better product. They were many years behind the competition, so they played out the FUD card, and didn't like the response (here on Amiga.org). This caused the "exodus" to AmigaWorld.net, causing lots of Amigans to simply leave Amiga.org for this "greener pastures" that was "telling the truth", and where insane moderation policies was enforced.

This corporate "community takeover" was the explanation to how the "Articia S" became "*flawless*", how MorphOS became evil and had AmigaOS copyrighted material inside it (OK, I know that those claims were earlier than this, but they were certainly being repeated (under the moderators guardian)), how the Pegasos didn't have the MAI approved fixes (though bPlan were the ones providing the fixes to MAI in the first place), etc.

Posts disappeared, threads disappeared, user accounts disappeared. Everything in an ambition to *control* the community's perceived version of "truth"!

And they didn't even *own* the site, they didn't *own* the database! They simply had a force of very loyal moderators at hand!

This site is now owned and controlled by financial stake holders of an OS, Motherboard, and System provider, that that was first announced in 2009 (where "OS4 developments for it begun"), and as of present date they haven't been able to fully deliver according to the original promised specs!

Now they are setting the stage for the "NG of the NG" of OS4 thingies... The "Cyrus" (which isn't even using the controllers they have been developing drivers for, which means the driver situation resets to zero). Hence the Amiga.org purchase.

Since this "takeover" happened, we have seen what could only be described like an "Orchestrated Reverse Exodus" to Amiga.org. Which is kind of funny in its sadness. In my view, history is repeating itself, just in a different way, in a different direction.

Amiga.org has been here (there was another version previous this one) pretty much since the Internet became mainstream. It has always been *inclusive*, *tolerant*, and *open*. I have been a proud member since 2002, two years before OS4 was released in its first, *sad* state (I know, because I was a paying customer). I have always expressed a "different kind of view" here (in terms of OS4), sometimes very unpopular in some peoples eyes, and I have taken beatings for it. But now, I expect to be kicked out and banned. Maybe because of this post?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)