Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: View the Outbox  (Read 4271 times)

Description:

Offline alewisTopic starter

• Show only replies by alewis
Re: View the Outbox
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 12:43:51 AM »
Lol!

Offline AMC258

• Show only replies by AMC258
    • http://www.AMC258.com/
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 01:51:02 AM »
@#$#$@!#!  My outbox that stores all the drunken shoutings is not retrieving what I shouted last night!  This is obviously someone else's responsibility!

Not to be negative, but it's easy enough to cut, paste, and file, if you think you will ever need to retrieve the information.

I *ONLY* (well, almost) use my A3000 to view this site, and I am very grateful that it works so well, ie, that it is so compliant!
Get up!  Get up!  Get outta here!  GONE!
  - Bob Uecker

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 12:13:32 PM »

c64_d0c wrote:
its not like he is the only one with the problem you know :-x

Evidently. Yet he doesn't feel the need to behave like a spoiled toddler about it :-P
int p; // A

Offline maffoo

• Show only replies by maffoo
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »

alewis wrote:

"potentially breaking".... so upgrades which are of benefit to all must be avoided on the grounds that they might, repeat might, not be well received on a highly marginalised browser...!???

InTheSand wrote:
And there's also the issue of any upgrade potentially breaking  viewability on real Amigas (yes, I do visit A.Org on my A3K now and again!)

- Ali

Well, it would be a bit ironic if Amiga.org wasn't viewable on real Amigas :lol:

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »
@ alewis

You can copy the text before you send the PM. Then PM the same text to yourself. I think that is the only way to win.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 03:29:30 PM »
Personal attacks and profanity aside, do you have ANY idea what would be involved in updating a site that has literally 5 years of data installed in it?  "Updating" a site this large is NOT as simple as inserting a disc and clicking on "upgrade".

Nevermind the fact that the modern Xoops engine went out of it's way NOT to be backwards compatible with HTML 3.x capable browsers long, long ago.

I have fought with this issue many times over the years, and put simply, it's one we cannot win.  If we (could even) upgrade for the benefit of the majority (most of whom don't even OWN an Amiga any longer) then we lose the necessary backwards compatibility for Aweb and other Amiga browsers.  

I for one am not yet ready to make that call but I digress.

Here's the bigger problem.  Xoops developers have not really cared about providing upgrade paths to their users.  We're using a patched version so old that we would have to literally find, then install, then "update" the site like 14 times to get to the latest version.  The chances of the data installed on our system surviving or correctly being modified that many times is slim, nil, and none.

So, you have to track your own bloody PMs' sent.  Small price to pay to keep a site that works for everyone.

Wayne

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 03:45:28 PM »
I'm probably saying nonsense (never tried network programming..) but would a site like this be that hard to code from scratch ? I mean Xoops (or whatever it's called) is a full blown general engine, probably full of features most sites don't use anyway...
It all seems just a bunch of user accounts/forums and news items... :roll:
:lol:

:pint:
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 04:00:33 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Here's the bigger problem.  Xoops developers have not really cared about providing upgrade paths to their users.  We're using a patched version so old that we would have to literally find, then install, then "update" the site like 14 times to get to the latest version.  The chances of the data installed on our system surviving or correctly being modified that many times is slim, nil, and none.

Indeed, wasn't there a time where you had this site upgraded further than it is now, but there were far too many problems with it, so you removed some of the "bonus" stuff that was patched because all the Amiga browsing members had major problems?

The site is fine the way it is, having an outbox would be handy, but there are simple solutions that have already been mentioned.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline alewisTopic starter

• Show only replies by alewis
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 04:01:06 PM »
@Wayne. The tone of your post seems a bit 'strident' - unsure if aimed at me, the profane person, or just general frustration; I imagine the later, as your post reveals a considerable amount of frustration over Xoops.

I didn't mean to add to it! Just wondered if there /was/ an outbox and I was having a blonde moment, or there really wasn't and it it would be nice to have one.

@others who suggested cut and paste. Yep, can do that for one or two mails. Try doing it for a damm sight more, and keeping track of whom they are too, its a labour intensive manual process, and hence heavily error prone. Exactly the task that long ago (ie real) system analysts would identify as benefiting from computer automation. Rest my case.

But in this case it isn't possible.

Ok, I didn't know that, I do now. If this is a perenial question, it might be worthwhile putting in a sticky for new users... I know I been regged on the site for 4 years, and really only active for a few months, but after a decade of using web sites which *do* have outboxes, one becomes accostomed to having an out-box.

I didn't realise the the site is A-web friendly. EAB, Aminet et al are not. As a consequence, I haven't really used the Amiga for surfing for 5+ years now, its just too slow and too "broken".

K, long winded (and hopefully unnecessary) apology over. Wayne, chill a bit

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
You would have figured by now, someone would have coded a decent web portal engine and tools for porting from xoopsh|t db. :roll:

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 04:02:08 PM »
@Jose,

Not "impossible", but more effort than the current Amiga market would justify.  There are hundreds of little things about this site that while you may not use, or may not notice, someone would, and they would complain in it's absence.

Heck, I'd love to even rewrite the whole PM module altogether to give inbox, outbox, saved items, and everything else, but when balancing a full-time job and everything else, it's rather hard to do.  

I'll see whether one of the new modules HAPPENS to be backwards compatible, but I somehow doubt it.

Wayne

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »

Wayne wrote:
I'll see whether one of the new modules HAPPENS to be backwards compatible, but I somehow doubt it.

Wayne

It isn't.

Offline Jose

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
Fair enouph... but you could make it a tinny hobby, like a few lines of code per day or something...
Ok forget it.. 8-)

Offline AMC258

• Show only replies by AMC258
    • http://www.AMC258.com/
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
I have in the past given serious thought to such a project, written for the Amiga.  If enough people volunteered to help, I'd be game.  But, I will NOT code in C, under any circumstances.  I have decided upon FPC, which no one else wants to code in.
Should I win the lottery Wednesday, maybe I'll make Amiga programming and hardware design a fulltime job.
Get up!  Get up!  Get outta here!  GONE!
  - Bob Uecker

Offline Jose

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 12:30:13 AM »
"But, I will NOT code in C, under any circumstances. "

Any ? Wow.. Why ? :-)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 29, 2007, 12:44:54 AM »
@Jose

I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea. He wouldn't be alone in hating it.

*mental image of gamecube pops up for no apparent reason*
int p; // A