Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CommodoreUSA CEO Interview Answers  (Read 40361 times)

Description:

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
Re: CommodoreUSA CEO Interview Answers
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »
"This was not a paid advertising program; You can’t buy this
exposure from Disney, it as to be offered; it’s not for sale.
Disney, at their sole expense, printed millions of full color dvd
insert panels, which were included on the front of every TRON
dvd worldwide!"

Hmmn it wasn't in mine...  (UK)

http://i.imgur.com/XZaaz.jpg

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »
Nor mine Danwood....

But that's by the bye.

having read the thing, yes i read it not just skimmed it, it seems to me that the majority of things have been issues already covered multitudes of times on various forums. Just not filled with vitriol we normally would see from Barry. The things that are new and he clears up seem to amount to the usual back tracking and spin we have seen. Such as the $30million ad budget, something that I can't understand why they ran with it in the first place nor amended before now as it's been mentioned even on their own forums without anyone correcting it if it was complete crap. And I am still skeptical that a company like Disney would allow them to advertise for free.

The way I look at this is that he has come with a carefully crafted, well thought out bit of marketing. While he has answered the questions I can't help but feel this was all just an exercise in marketing for him and something that he can refer to if anyone else ever asks him the same things.

My opinion hasn't changed. I doubt it ever will. But I hope that this will keep them off our backs now.

Offline number6

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
@Barry Altman (just so you know where I got this idea from)

My question from the interview:

Given the expressed desire to progress from being a licensee to an owner of both Commodore and Amiga IP, is there any progress on either of those fronts?

Barry's answer:

I can't recall ever(y) publically making that statement

True. This was stated by @redrumloa after his initial visit with Barry. It was quite clear, but I suppose you could say "not public"?

While Commodore USA is currently a licensee for the Commodore and Amiga name, the intention is to own these companies outright one day and to be a publicly traded company on a major exchange.

last paragraph

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;689006
"1. The ability to utilze the latest hardware
2. An advanced graphical API
3. SMP
4. An advanced software stack
5. Mature software development options"
All of which is great for a mainstream OS, but for a hobby OS there's one really important question to answer:

Do I enjoy using it?

The above 5 points is what many OS4 users would die to have, but it won't happen going the current route. Frankly, it will be very difficult (read: impossible) to sell any kind of general desktop computer to *anyone* (outside this little community made of a few hundreds more or less fanatics) without those features, meaning *no business*. Anyone looking to sell a *perfectly usable* (for real, to "real" people!) desktop OS of year 2012 level must go a different route, and by going this route (the custom Linux OS), at least it will be something different than Windows and MacOS, and who knows, maybe it feels good enough and fun to use? Not like the old OS3 based OS's, something new, like Mac OSX compared to MacOS 9? Windows 2k compared to Win3.11? Completely different, not at all the same thing, but still something you could adapt to and embrace given some time?

Anyway, again - Nobody is taking your Museum Amiga's away from you, nor your OS4 boxes, so take it easy. If the new Commodore Amiga's aren't for you, then don't get it, as simple as that.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »
Quote from: tone007;689011
I like using real, useful, modern computers as well, and I also like purchasing them from companies who can support the product they sell and also provide competitive pricing.  If anything, CUSA should be selling their hackjob machines for less than "real" vendors are selling theirs for. What, no profit there? Now you're getting it. Move on to luxury plumbing fixtures.

You are free to buy whatever you want, from whoever you want.

If it isn't for you, then don't buy it. Simple, really?

As an example: The A1X1K/OS4 sure as hell isn't something for *me*, no matter the brand names or boing balls slapped on to it. At least the Commodore Amiga's are usable for real, it doesn't have ancient specifications, it has an OS and SW stack that makes the computer usable, and it sure as hell doesn't cost $3,000+. Neither of them are MorphOS though, it was more than a decade ago since I mentally abandoned the Amiga(tm) brand forever, so I see no need in looking at Amiga branded stuff of any kind. I look at specs, price, etc and make my decisions from that... :)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:26 PM »
Yeah, in the end the Barron isn't the Anti-Christ, just another businessman trying to make a buck, he saw the Commodore and Amiga brands as a chance for that and he took it.  In the end who wouldn't?  He's not going to produce anything for the retro enthusiasts, there's no money in that, as is more than evident from the businesses that have tried.

He's just a guy who used to make cable ends and is spending his own money to try to build a business that will outlast him.  It comes with middle age, suddenly you know you aren't here much longer and you want to leave something that says "I was here."  I really do empathize with that, but in the end his products aren't for me.  I can see if I owned a computer shop, I would sign up for his programme, because it would make my computer shop different to the other computer shops around, but I sold my business years ago.

In the end I appreciate that he took the time to explain everything, and just because I'm not a potential customer it doesn't mean I don't wish him well.  After all these years, there is no second coming of the Amiga.  I will love my classic Amiga toys and emulators and continue with Apple products for my modern needs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
Quote from: persia;689047
Yeah, in the end the Barron isn't the Anti-Christ, just another businessman trying to make a buck, he saw the Commodore and Amiga brands as a chance for that and he took it.  In the end who wouldn't?  He's not going to produce anything for the retro enthusiasts, there's no money in that, as is more than evident from the businesses that have tried.

He's just a guy who used to make cable ends and is spending his own money to try to build a business that will outlast him.  It comes with middle age, suddenly you know you aren't here much longer and you want to leave something that says "I was here."  I really do empathize with that, but in the end his products aren't for me.  I can see if I owned a computer shop, I would sign up for his programme, because it would make my computer shop different to the other computer shops around, but I sold my business years ago.

In the end I appreciate that he took the time to explain everything, and just because I'm not a potential customer it doesn't mean I don't wish him well.  After all these years, there is no second coming of the Amiga.  I will love my classic Amiga toys and emulators and continue with Apple products for my modern needs.

+1

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
I just tire of the yammering on about these "new Commodore" and "new Amiga" machines on sites like A.org, and I for one hope I never see another thread about either of them now that "the air has been cleared".

We got guys busting their asses - the Natami guys, Mike and crew with the FPGA Arcade board, stuff like the ACA boards, ZorRam.  MorphOS, AmigaOS, and AROS all offering very nice offerings of the Amiga experience.  We have more choice than we ever had in regards to "The Amiga Experience", really.  While we may fight and bicker between the camps, at the end of the day we do all truly know we are on the same boat.

Yet we waste our time dancing around with this C-USA nonsense - commodity hardware with a rebadged Linux distro, from a company that clearly has no intentions in offering anything to anyone wanting something that actually resembles an "Amiga".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  I understand the retro market.  I do understand why someone buys a C64x.  I do understand and fully realize there are people that will buy the "Amiga Mini" in some attempt to revisit their glory days back when they had a real Amiga.  I'm entirely comfortable with the concept of "a fool and his money are soon parted", and I'm entirely comfortable in the fact their products are not for me.  I hope C-USA makes a good PC that people are happy with if they purchase one.

Why the angle keeps getting spun that it's the "haters" that have kept them as a topic on true Amiga sites, that one baffles me.  I wonder why they are even mentioned at all - they are a commodity PC assembler/rebadger, and Gateway has more true Amiga street cred than C-USA.  It baffles me why every time C-USA so much as squeaks out a muted fart, the powers that be here are front paging it.  All I can come up with is they are trying to drive pageviews, and I see that as costing this site and others like it a lot of the old timer traffic.

People come here primarily to discuss the Amiga.  How you define "Amiga" is up to you.  It might be legacy, it might be FPGA, or AROS, MOS, AOS, or emulation.  Whatever floats your boat.  Isn't a damned thing Amiga about anything that will ever come out of Commodore USA other than engraving on a Chinese case filled with x86 components, running Linux with a custom skin.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
Did the Amiga.org servers melt yet?

Offline crawff

• Show only replies by crawff
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »
Are you trying keep this thread on the front page..... :-)

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
Quote from: Duce;689050
People come here primarily to discuss the Amiga.  How you define "Amiga" is up to you.  It might be legacy, it might be FPGA, or AROS, MOS, AOS, or emulation.  Whatever floats your boat.  Isn't a damned thing Amiga about anything that will ever come out of Commodore USA other than engraving on a Chinese case filled with x86 components, running Linux with a custom skin.

The Lovecraftian H'Miga!

(props to whoever posted that on mb)

Offline Optimus

• Show only replies by Optimus
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
I don't blame them for licensing the names either. Or for trying to make a profit. I very much don't like the "illusions" they try to make about the company size, the multitude of false promises, their sham of a forum, and the arrogance. This interview was the most "down to earth" Barry has ever been.

It remains to be seen how many people are willing to pay "double" (as Barry claims) for his Amiga branded PCs.

Make no mistake, CUSA and their surrogates (whatever their motivation) post here because former Amiga owners are their target market. Unlike the C64x, the only nostalgic factor is the name.

When we question their tatics and the products they offer, we are the crazy trollers.

The fact is the Amiga Mini only exists as a poorly photoshoped image. They are the ones that have the audacity to try to sell something that doesn't exist and won't for at least another month for double (or more) what it costs them, and come pitch it here for free even though it has no tangible connection to Amiga other than the name.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
No intent on contributing to linux, no intent in aros = no intent to buy your ****e.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
read the answers, didn't see pie vs. cake.

reagequit.

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
I am converting it to rtf format and I came across this.

On UAE
Do you plan some sort of a help for UAE project in order to add
support for PowerPC to this application?

I am told very little would be gained from that as there is very little
PPC software that is not already available to us non-emulated.

Not sure if this is my question cut to shreds but my point was a PPC core emulation + WIN UAE = OS4 running on x86 PCs like the worthless crap they sell ;)

edit:
my question is here....
Why are you not doing the only sensible option of funding
PowerPC 604 CPU emulation core for WinUAE option so Amiga
OS4 could be run on your generic cobbled together medium
power PC compatible?

I see you are under certain delusions and will leave it at that.

Leave it at what? You pathetic overpriced chinese bargain bucket PC with underwhelming 3d/audio performance with Amiga logo stuck on them?

The delusional one is you Mr BS extreme. As your tiny budget only allows fooling people into buying your overpriced badly built Windows PCs + Amiga sticker and AROS want nothing to do with you YOUR LAST HOPE OF EVER GAINING A TINY BIT OF RESPECT IS GONE WITH. WinUAE+PPC CORE + OS4 is the only way to add any legitimacy to your $1 website.

"While we have no immediate plans for an A500 replica, we will surely produce it one day."

And added to that gem of a reply all he wants to sell badly built ugly chinese wintel machines usingthe C=/Amiga name :roflmao:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:55:57 PM by Digiman »

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 17, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
Quote from: runequester;689070
No intent on contributing to linux, no intent in aros = no intent to buy your ****e.

And his opinions conveniently steer his products to PC Windows x86 motherboards with f**k all to do with even watered down "Amiga" machines running OS4. Apart from C64x case you could badge their products as ANY retro make. And to be honest Amiga Mini is more like an Atari Mega ST shrunk in the wash design-wise :roflmao:

(Mos and AROS are just Amiga like unofficial projects)