Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Jobs parked in Handicapped spaces and kicked old ladies?  (Read 8431 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Steve Jobs parked in Handicapped spaces and kicked old ladies?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »
"morally handicapped" - love it.
Thanks.
I don't normally enjoy defaming the dead, but I can make an exception for Jobs.

And I heard it was puppies, not old ladies.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 01:35:45 AM »
How'd he drive with no number plate? The cops here in Oz would have spotted that in a second.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline prowler

• Show only replies by prowler
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:14:46 AM »
Quote from: persia;763710
How'd he drive with no number plate? The cops here in Oz would have spotted that in a second.

The story I heard was that you only need a license plate in the state he lived in after having a new car for a month so he had some kind of special deal with the car dealership to get a new car every month and thus not require a license plate.

Why did he do it? Apparently he didn't want people to learn what his number plate was an identify him/his car. Silly really since a car without a number plate stands out more and it wouldn't take long for the rumour mill to come into action either.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
Steve Jobs was head of Apple so I guess he had right to choose any parking slot at Apple campus.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 08:22:15 AM »
As Prowler said, that was the reason for the lack of plates on his cars, but it was more so someone couldn't look up his plate number via someone shady at the DMV and harass him at his residence.

All covered well in the Isaacson book, which is worth a read even if you aren't an Apple fanboy (I'm not).

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »
Quote from: prowler;763719
The story I heard was that you only need a license plate in the state he lived in after having a new car for a month so he had some kind of special deal with the car dealership to get a new car every month and thus not require a license plate.

Why did he do it? Apparently he didn't want people to learn what his number plate was an identify him/his car. Silly really since a car without a number plate stands out more and it wouldn't take long for the rumour mill to come into action either.

But in a month he would have been driving yet another car... I imagine there are many new cars which were not Jobs'.

I guess getting new license plates every months was not an option.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
Steve Jobs was a weird arsehole... His biography goes into great detail about that. But the simple truth is Apple products were better with him around. He was tireless in ensuring that a product did exactly what it was supposed to to. Nothing more, nothing less, and that is a painful process... But it was something he was good at.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »
Was every six months, and up until quite recently I believe, the law was still applicable in California.  I think the longest you can go now without plates is 90 days.

You had a 6 month window to put plates on a car, so Jobs would just trade his back for a new one in the time period.  Apparently he wasn't the only one at Apple to do it either.

http://jalopnik.com/5853923/the-real-reason-why-steve-jobs-drove-without-a-license-plate

Offline Sean Cunningham

• Show only replies by Sean Cunningham
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0192445
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;763727
Steve Jobs was a weird arsehole... His biography goes into great detail about that. But the simple truth is Apple products were better with him around. He was tireless in ensuring that a product did exactly what it was supposed to to. Nothing more, nothing less, and that is a painful process... But it was something he was good at.

When he wasn't there they became the same anonymous, corporate jumble of random pros and cons as you get from every single other consumer electronic manufacturer who put out products of meaningless differentiation and/or incremental stat creep.

Any company ruled by shareholders puppet-mastering executives who are just cashing a paycheck and willing to simply "not lose" rather than set their sights on "winning", companies who lack a singular vision, tyrannical or otherwise, will produce nothing of real note except by accident.  

They will put no dent in the universe.  He put many.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:45:31 PM by Sean Cunningham »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Fanboy Alert!

Quote from: Sean Cunningham;763746
They will put no dent in the universe.  He put many.

He made a lot of bad decisions as well as the good ones.
One of your "dents" has to include the dents I made in the walls with my head while servicing Apple IIIs.
Thanks to Jobs (who insisted on an aluminum die cast case) these monsters regularly unseated their socketed chips from repeated thermal expansion and contraction.
The proto-Mac Lisa was almost as overpriced as the Xerox hardware it was copied from, and failed miserably.
Anyone still have a Newton?
I could go on...

Dents? Yeah, dents, dings, and the occasional clunk.
But great marketing.
After all, what really differentiates their products?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »
Still with all the failures Apple is the largest computer company on earth...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Sean Cunningham

• Show only replies by Sean Cunningham
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0192445
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;763750
Fanboy Alert!

And hater conflator alert.  The Newton was a product under Sculley and was among the first projects killed upon Jobs' return to Apple.  

He was right about heading towards a quieter running system and based on those failures we have successful products of evolution.  Anyone else is happy to keep making the same crap over and over again.  

I wonder how many A4000D's are still operational.  We experienced 100% failure rate from poor thermal design at DD and that was from a more conventional design and layout.  It wouldn't take much to point out engineering foibles in almost every post-2000 Amiga desktop system, if one were so inclined, before getting to the let downs in the later chips.  A500s unseated chips.  A3000s were thermally better but an awful design from a maintenance standpoint, though nothing compared to what you'd get from Dell in the '90s, or pretty much any compact mini-tower PC.

It's either ignorant or disingenuous to poo-poo the LISA and Jobs while enjoying this website, any website, while enjoying an Amiga, a GUI, MorphOS, movies with visual effects,  CG animated features, smart phones in America...

I could go on.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:56:50 PM by Sean Cunningham »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
Quote from: persia;763754
Still with all the failures Apple is the largest computer company on earth...

Fair enough.
From what I remember, Apple first, HP second.
And Apple is the sole manufacturer of OSX systems, while HP makes only a fraction of the Windows PCs marketed.
Further, although I'm no big Windows fan, systems running Windows greatly outsell OSX systems.

Finally, size is no measure of quality, after all McDonald's is one of the world's largest fast food chains (I'd still prefer a burger from Five Guys).

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
They must really trust new car owners in California.. If someone should run over a kid whatever in the first couple months and then decides to drive of, it must be extremely hard for the authorities to trace that car even if there was witnesses.