Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini  (Read 21562 times)

Description:

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
Re: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
@MissAnonymous

Hear, hear... This CUSA outfit is nothing more than a glorified sticker / re-branding company, which is totally bereft of the creativity, talent, commitment found throughout this community past and present.

Their "products" are about as innovative as the re-branded Tablet tat available from Amiga, Inc. They should really look back at the Commode Gaming's ill-fated endeavors, and realize once the novelty quickly wears off *and it will*, nobody in their right mind will pay a premium prices for hardware that is readily available elsewhere for much cheaper, simply for the privilege of a couple of stickers and a glossy desktop theme.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for all those talented people, actively developing in the Amiga spirit, may it be for AmigaOS, MorphOS, Aros and others.
The endeavors of CUSA pale in comparison, all they seem to want is invest the absolute minimum effort in order to extract the quickest buck.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:53:46 PM by Akiko »

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »
In most ways I agree with the angle of the OP.  I don't see CUSA as evil, nor do I see them as misunderstood.  I feel CUSA is ignorant to what Amiga and Commodore means to the community.

This lends to their replies and actions as they seem more like a child's reactions to being punished for something they can't grasp or understand.  They see it as a recognizable computer symbol without understanding WHY it is a recognizable computer symbol...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »
+1 Akiko, if CUSA come to Norfolk you an me can chase 'em down with our tractors. :D
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;685142
In most ways I agree with the angle of the OP.  I don't see CUSA as evil, nor do I see them as misunderstood.  I feel CUSA is ignorant to what Amiga and Commodore means to the community.

This lends to their replies and actions as they seem more like a child's reactions to being punished for something they can't grasp or understand.  They see it as a recognizable computer symbol without understanding WHY it is a recognizable computer symbol...

They are hardly ignorant of it.

They see people selling NG "Amiga" computers for 3 grand.  They see USB cards being sold for a couple hundred, and other equipment for similar prices.  They see people zealously defending next-gen corners with insults and flamewars.  We can hate them all we want for what they are, but they are hardly the first grave robbers.  We can only hope they will be the last.

Offline tone007

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 12:49:09 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;685124
She has been using an Amiga for 27 years and still doesn't understand CPUs? No wonder they say women know nothing about computers :-(

http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/tap/Files/hopper-story.html
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 02:01:41 AM »
I totally agree with our anonymous poster, Commodore USA lack the talent and technical experience to create something deserving of the Amiga name and should just be ignored as a sad joke.

By the way whoever it is it's 100% definitely not Cammy, who was born in 1985.
Amiga user forever.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 02:10:41 AM »
Awww....... I really do miss CeCe. She was so much fun, when she was around here. LOL! Remember when she was ranting about having to shop out that Fremen's @$$ for the SciFi redux of Dune? XD
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2012, 02:13:03 AM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;685174

By the way whoever it is it's 100% definitely not Cammy, who was born in 1985.

Pssh. Cammy's *A LOT* older than being born in 1985, I've been hanging with her, since 1993, when she was one of the new challengers of Street Fighter II and she was *MUCH* older than 8, back then. :laughing:

[EDIT] - I'd like to point out that the only reason Cammy and I started hanging out, was 'cos at the time, Chun Li and I were separated.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:15:38 AM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2012, 03:21:16 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;685126
http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/amiga.html

I don't really care who wrote the post, but thanks for this reference X.

I think I'm in love.

That woman is amazing!
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2012, 03:21:24 AM »
Hi,

[I have always loved the Amiga and appreciated it for what it really is]

Back in 1985 it was a very innovative computer, compared to other computers out at that time, but compared to today's computers and high technology the whole Amiga can be put in the base of a joystick, but also can still be hooked up to a TV.

[Since CommodoreUSA had nothing Amiga related for sale I have ignored their posts so far]

by todays standards "Just what exactly is Amiga related?"  an old archaic computer that is a hobby computer, nothing more, nothing less. A collectors computer to keep all us old farts remembering our days of yesteryear.

[This all changed recently when CommodoreUSA started selling the Amiga Mini, something that has no relation to any Amiga I have ever purchased and loved. I don't understand CPU's, GPU's and other computer gibberish but I know and love the artistic tool called Amiga that I have used since 1985 and this is not it. ]

Well we can really tell that you really don't keep up with modern times. Today's artistic tools on Linux, Windows PC's and UGH!! rotten apple core MACs can do about 1000% more than the Amiga with its cartoonish drawings. (Sorry but that is what it really is).

[Where is the Amiga operating system?]

The Amiga operating system is in Uncle Bill's hands, whether we like it or not. He bought the patent rights and owns them as of yet as far as I know. I can't really recall any official word of him selling them, although he did sell out some licenseing rights.

[CommodoreUSA They are Takers]

Golly gee whiz, really, maybe like MorphOS, Aros, minimig, Amiga X1000, and Natami,  we can call all of them takers, or we can call them developers trying to give the Amiga a new start somewhere.

[I don't live in a vacuum]

No, you sure don't live in a vacuum, you live in something worse, just like all the other people here on Amiga.org, you live in the past, you don't want to see it go away, you don't want to advance a go with the future, where the programs are a little harder to use because they do so much more.

Read those last couple of words, where the programs are a little harder to use because they do so much more, back in 1985 didn't we hear those same words from a great person named Jay Miner, that the Amiga computer was the best because it's programs have the capability of doing so much more. If Jay was alive and  inventing today I would hate to see what he would of made today. What processor would he have used? What Graphics chip, oh so outdated, How about card would he have used? Would he have chose the new Intel, or the Octacore AMD?

Yeah, the Amiga was a great computer, it surpassed every other computer made, but that was back in 1985, it is now 2012, will we see a new Amiga way better than what was?  or will we see the end of the world as supposedly said by the Mayan calander.

It really doesn't matter for the people at Amiga.org, they refuse to accept a new way of life anyway.

smerf

Owned a CPM machine before 1985, owned a 8086 machine before 1985, owned a C64 machine before 1985, owned a C128D machine before 1985, owned an Amiga after the  C128D machine in 1985. Still own a bunch of Amiga's in 2012.

but

I use a PC with Linux, WindowsXP, Windows, Vista, and Windows 7.  One runs EUAE, the rest run Cloanto's Amiga Forever.

I believe in giving my old silicon a rest, and turn on the old girl when I want to show the younger generation what an Amgia did. It impresses a lot of them, especially when they learn that the machine is older than them.

smerf
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:25:40 AM by smerf »
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Iggy

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2012, 03:44:50 AM »
Quote from: smerf;685189
The Amiga operating system is in Uncle Bill's hands, whether we like it or not. He bought the patent rights and owns them as of yet as far as I know. I can't really recall any official word of him selling them, although he did sell out some licensing rights.
smerf

Exclusive licensing rights. Even Amiga Inc can't develop it (and trying to sell something you're not allowed to develop would be pointless). Which means that the Amiga operating system is in Hyperion's hands.

So whether you guys like it or not, there is a company developing new Amiga related systems and software that IS related to legacy systems.

Its a shame more of your fanatics can't get behind Hyperion. If the hardware was more affordable, I'd consider it. Right now, about the only positive voice you guys haven't crowded out is AmigaDave.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Middleman
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2012, 04:13:17 AM »
Quote from: Akiko;685136
@MissAnonymous

Hear, hear... This CUSA outfit is nothing more than a glorified sticker / re-branding company, which is totally bereft of the creativity, talent, commitment found throughout this community past and present.

Their "products" are about as innovative as the re-branded Tablet tat available from Amiga, Inc. They should really look back at the Commode Gaming's ill-fated endeavors, and realize once the novelty quickly wears off *and it will*, nobody in their right mind will pay a premium prices for hardware that is readily available elsewhere for much cheaper, simply for the privilege of a couple of stickers and a glossy desktop theme.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for all those talented people, actively developing in the Amiga spirit, may it be for AmigaOS, MorphOS, Aros and others.
The endeavors of CUSA pale in comparison, all they seem to want is invest the absolute minimum effort in order to extract the quickest buck.

I don't disagree with some of your comments Akiko, but I don't agree with some of them either.

I know Barry may have upset you guys with his previous unfulfilled product announcements and gaffs, but to be serious he's working under a lot of pressure. CUSA is no Apple with years of experience or budgets the size of a country's Balance of Payments accounts. They are still a fledgling company with only 2 years under their belt and are limited by the budgets they can spend. In particular is Barry....he is at heart a numbers man. And to convince him to produce the right products for us, he and his stakeholders Amiga Inc. and the related Commodore licensors they have to believe the market is still there, is supportable and is sustainable...

Also I think most of you guys have failed to realize the scope of what CUSA has brought themselves under. It is a HUGE undertaking to revive the Commodore and the Amiga brands, as you would probably know the past 20 years have shown from other endeavors into the foray that have failed miserably. You may call it what you will (that they're just hobbling together cheap PC machines with just a sticker on top) but the truth is it is more than that. You need REAL INNOVATION AND REAL GUTS and money to get out there and say you can do it to revive Commodore…..because otherwise you fall flat on your face. This is the danger and risk the CUSA team faces at the moment…..because while the hardcore users are all asking for their ideal dream machines at the ideal prices, they fail to realize the huge investment, efforts and capital needed to create the very things they want. And as a company working now in an industry with very little margins, they have to decide and consider is this endeavor still worth it?

But such risks can be lessened….if we work together as groups coming together, to create that demand. If you want them to produce the products you want, they're going to have to need money and capital. And the only way they're going to do this is your support for them by buying their products. This is the same for everybody whether you are Acube, Aeon, Amikit or otherwise….

That said, nobody in the Amiga communities should be at loggerheads with each other in various camps….everybody can co-exist and live together in harmony if only we work together and give each other the space for others, and time to cooperate, to create new ideas. If we do this, we can make it work and the dream will come true…that we will all have that proper Commodore branded modern Amiga box running the latest AmigaOS….

CUSA are no former CBM.....but please give them time. They will do good for the Amiga community eventually. I know they will…please have some faith….

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14:57 AM »
Quote from: smerf;685189
by todays standards "Just what exactly is Amiga related?"  an old archaic computer that is a hobby computer, nothing more, nothing less. A collectors computer to keep all us old farts remembering our days of yesteryear.
Speak for yourself; I was born in 1985 and didn't even know what the Amiga was until I was 17. (Grew up on those oh-so-awful Macs that you go off at the merest mention of.) I'm part of the Amiga community because I appreciate the Amiga for what it is, not for the nostalgia I don't have for it. It might indeed be best classified as a hobby machine these days (though the only crucial part of my daily life I don't think I could conduct on my A1200 is my VST endeavors and listening to the MP3 portions of my music collection,) but I've never considered "hobby" to be a slur, myself.

Golly gee whiz, really, maybe like MorphOS, Aros, minimig, Amiga X1000, and Natami,  we can call all of them takers, or we can call them developers trying to give the Amiga a new start somewhere.
While I'll recognize the ongoing debate over the merits of each, you know what none of the above are doing? They're not slapping a free OS on commodity hardware, adding a sticker, and trying to sell it for 50-90% markup. Any of the above might conceivably be said to be "trying to give the Amiga a new start somewhere," but what CUSA is doing is nothing of the kind.

No, you sure don't live in a vacuum, you live in something worse, just like all the other people here on Amiga.org, you live in the past, you don't want to see it go away, you don't want to advance a go with the future, where the programs are a little harder to use because they do so much more.
The worst kind of futurists are the ones who act as though wanting to remain with something old and familiar is a moral failing and a mark of inferiority. I don't know what you're like in daily life, smerf, but here, you're a horrible arrogant twit. You're not somehow superior by dint of not being attached to old tech, no matter what you think.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 04:23:24 AM »
@Middleman

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes at CUSA but so far it appears all they have done is make some custom cases for PC's and included a free Linux Mint OS with some script modifications. This is very low cost and very low risk. They can correct me if I am wrong but I have not seen any risk or any innovation taken so far. ClusterUK and ARES does the same thing and they are little outfits. At least they include AROS with their offering and put money back into the community. Has CUSA ever put any money into the community? What pressure is CUSA under? No one asked them to do what they are doing.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:31:13 AM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 04:33:11 AM »
Quote from: Middleman;685195
I know Barry may have upset you guys with his previous unfulfilled product announcements and gaffs, but to be serious he's working under a lot of pressure. CUSA is no Apple with years of experience or budgets the size of a country's Balance of Payments accounts. They are still a fledgling company with only 2 years under their belt and are limited by the budgets they can spend. In particular is Barry....he is at heart a numbers man. And to convince him to produce the right products for us, he and his stakeholders Amiga Inc. and the related Commodore licensors they have to believe the market is still there, is supportable and is sustainable...
You know what? I've worked under pressure too. It makes me irritable and snappish sometimes - what it doesn't make me is a crude, tactless gasbag filled with unwarranted self-importance. In the two years CUSA have been active around here, Barry has been consistently rude to anybody who questions his actions or his plans, has allowed his company to post a large number of blatantly fake promotional materials (honestly, a trained monkey could do a better job with Photoshop,) and only sends Leo around to cozy up to the community when he really puts his foot in it (despite repeated assertions that we're "not the target market.") This isn't a matter of budgetary limitations or lack of confidence in the market, this is a matter of Barry being a sleaze.

Also I think most of you guys have failed to realize the scope of what CUSA has brought themselves under. It is a HUGE undertaking to revive the Commodore and the Amiga brands, as you would probably know the past 20 years have shown from other endeavors into the foray that have failed miserably.
That's a load of shít. In two years, all we've gotten are comically overpriced PC builds in some-degree-of-customized cases and constant assurances that something actually Amiga-related is definitely probably maybe in the works, in the distant future, if everything goes well. No plans, no details, no nothing. It's a stalling tactic, and it's screamingly obvious.

You need REAL INNOVATION AND REAL GUTS and money to get out there and say you can do it to revive Commodore…..
If I could reach you, I would smack you. I've done as much bagging on the X1000 as anybody, but for all my problems with the product, Trevor has shown guts and know-how and passion. He's the kind of person that deserves accolades for mere accomplishment, if we're going to be giving them out. Barry is a furniture reseller trying to make a fast buck off whatever gullible dupes he can scrape together, and he's not one hundredth the scrappy underdog enterpreneur that Trevor is (to say nothing of guys like Jens or the NatAmi team.)

But such risks can be lessened….if we work together as groups coming together, to create that demand. If you want them to produce the products you want, they're going to have to need money and capital. And the only way they're going to do this is your support for them by buying their products. This is the same for everybody whether you are Acube, Aeon, Amikit or otherwise….
The difference being that Amikit actually makes things that I might want. Giving CUSA money for things I have no desire for and can't afford is not going to get me anywhere closer to the things I'd actually like, it's going to encourage them to produce more things I don't want and can't afford.

CUSA are no former CBM.....but please give them time. They will do good for the Amiga community eventually. I know they will…please have some faith….
I gave them plenty of time, and they've not only failed to provide any evidence of progress in any direction I'd like to see progress in, they've manage to alienate damn near everyone in this community. I think that says it all, really.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

« Reply #44 from previous page: March 25, 2012, 04:45:21 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685201

If I could reach you, I would smack you. I've done as much bagging on the X1000 as anybody, but for all my problems with the product, Trevor has shown guts and know-how and passion. He's the kind of person that deserves accolades for mere accomplishment, if we're going to be giving them out. Barry is a furniture reseller trying to make a fast buck off whatever gullible dupes he can scrape together, and he's not one hundredth the scrappy underdog enterpreneur that Trevor is (to say nothing of guys like Jens or the NatAmi team.)

DAMNED well said!
I have the greatest respect for Trevor.
And while I'm not a big fan of Hyperion, they are the only real Amiga related game in town.

I've never really been bothered by Barry's plans because I've lost most of my hangups related to trademarks (notice the system I use).

But a CUSA Amiga isn't really an Amiga in anything but name only.

The closest thing to an Amiga currently available is the X1000.