Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini  (Read 21732 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2012, 04:45:21 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685201

If I could reach you, I would smack you. I've done as much bagging on the X1000 as anybody, but for all my problems with the product, Trevor has shown guts and know-how and passion. He's the kind of person that deserves accolades for mere accomplishment, if we're going to be giving them out. Barry is a furniture reseller trying to make a fast buck off whatever gullible dupes he can scrape together, and he's not one hundredth the scrappy underdog enterpreneur that Trevor is (to say nothing of guys like Jens or the NatAmi team.)

DAMNED well said!
I have the greatest respect for Trevor.
And while I'm not a big fan of Hyperion, they are the only real Amiga related game in town.

I've never really been bothered by Barry's plans because I've lost most of my hangups related to trademarks (notice the system I use).

But a CUSA Amiga isn't really an Amiga in anything but name only.

The closest thing to an Amiga currently available is the X1000.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 05:31:16 AM »
Hi,

@commodorejohn,

Gosh, those are the nicest words you have ever said to me. What am I like in real life, just an old fart waiting for someone to redevelope the Amiga and bring it back. The only computer I won't use is an apple product. I hate apple back from the old days, you know they where probably one of the reasons the Amiga failed. The biggest reason though was the Commodore leadership, not knowing what they wanted or where doing(sort of hangs around in the commodore circles, doesn't it commodorejohn), commodore just couldn't decide what direction to go, they invested their money into the PC10, PC20 and then the Amiga 500 and Amiga 2000, these moves really confused most Amiga people back in the old days.

The Amiga 1000 was supposed to be the flagship of the new Amiga line, yet not even two years since coming out, they were abandoning the Amiga 1000 for the 500 and 2000

This caused a lot of the people out there to look at other computers, and one of the competitors apple took a lot away from the Amiga line, not saying this was bad because Commodore wasn't ready for the influx of sales, and we just couldn't get enough Amiga's out there to sell.

By the way calling me a twit is sort of mild, because I am a real a$$hole,

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 05:57:41 AM »
Quote from: smerf;685209
I hate apple back from the old days...
smerf

I actually really understand this sentiment.
Apple's 68K products were lame in the extreme.

Back when these were current, I was selling multi-user 68K systems.
The Macs lack of a CLI was idiot tech raised to its highest level.

Still, I don't have any problem using an abandoned platform for my own purposes.
And today was the first time I've run OSX in over a year. I had to test an R400 based video card I'd received and those don't even post under MorphOS.
So, in went the OSX boot drive, I tested the card and immediately removed the drive (with a shudder)
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline spirantho

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 07:18:59 AM »
Quote from: smerf;685189
Golly gee whiz, really, maybe like MorphOS, Aros, minimig, Amiga X1000, and Natami,  we can call all of them takers, or we can call them developers trying to give the Amiga a new start somewhere.

But that's just it - they're not trying to give anything a new start except Barry's bank account.  Painting a Linux backdrop blue isn't a new start to anything, it's a cash-in. I'd still like to see any evidence at all that C=USA have any intention whatsoever of doing anything with the names "Commodore" and "Amiga" except using it to hike up massive profit margins on bog standard PCs.
MOS, AROS, MiniMig, X1000 and NatAmi all give something to the community. C=USA just take. Completely different.

It really doesn't matter for the people at Amiga.org, they refuse to accept a new way of life anyway.

We don't refuse to accept a new way of life, but we prefer the old way of life, and if the old way of life is what we enjoy using, then why shouldn't we?
Most of us use modern machines too, and those who don't, don't need to.

To me computing should be both functional and enjoyable. Modern PCs are functional, not enjoyable, so I use an AOS machine whenever I can. And if it does the job as well as a modern PC, and I can enjoy using it, then that's what I'll do.

I use a PC with Linux, WindowsXP, Windows, Vista, and Windows 7.  One runs EUAE, the rest run Cloanto's Amiga Forever.

I believe in giving my old silicon a rest, and turn on the old girl when I want to show the younger generation what an Amgia did. It impresses a lot of them, especially when they learn that the machine is older than them.

smerf

That's fine for you, but the rest of us use our machines for something different than just showing what the "old girl" can do - we still use our machines.... and no amount of people shouting "but the world has changed! You're stuck in the past, man!" will change that.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »
@OP

Her post make some really good points!.

@all

I am really suprised to see attempts of trolling here.
Her post is not trolling and not an comment to try and stir the pot, its her take on how it looks like, its her opinion and its an honest opinion.

Can we please stop with all the trolling, its ruining our community and its making me ill to see how people in the Amiga circles act like teenagers,we are better than this!.
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 08:05:20 AM »
Quote from: lempkee;685236
@OP
Can we please stop with all the trolling, its ruining our community and its making me ill to see how people in the Amiga circles act like teenagers,we are better than this!.

+1
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 08:23:47 AM »
Why is this one random "anonymous" person's opinion causing that much trouble? Its an opinion, of one person, who cares?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 08:26:49 AM »
I think what Lempkee meant is the often spammy and pot stirring nature of Transition's news postings.

As for the author of the opinion piece, well put.  It's opinion and doesn't need much debate, I'm sure we all feel differently about situations like this to some extent.

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »
But isn't Middleman one of CUSA's resellers? So how can his/her comments be objective?

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
CUSA hasn't "taken" anything from the "community". All they've done is used the brand to market Linux PC's and rolled out a fork of the Linux Mint distribution which is a fork of the Ubuntu distribution which is a fork of the Debian distribution. This has absolutely zero negative impact on the retro hobbyist interested in classic Amigas, Amiga emulation (both hardware and software) and NG Amiga systems.

If one is upset with what is being done with the brand identity, it doesn't make sense to blame CUSA. When a dog takes a crap in your front yard, do you blame the dog? Of course not, you blame the owner for not controlling their animal. If you're pissed about a check mark logo with the label "Amiga" carved into the case of a Linux PC, blame Amiga, Inc, they're the owner of the brand identity.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;685242
Why is this one random "anonymous" person's opinion causing that much trouble? Its an opinion, of one person, who cares?

maybe because what she has to say strikes a chord with a lot of us.

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
Once again, a rare voice of sanity raises itself above the background noise! :-)

Quote from: koaftder;685246
CUSA hasn't "taken" anything from the "community". All they've done is used the brand to market Linux PC's and rolled out a fork of the Linux Mint distribution which is a fork of the Ubuntu distribution which is a fork of the Debian distribution. This has absolutely zero negative impact on the retro hobbyist interested in classic Amigas, Amiga emulation (both hardware and software) and NG Amiga systems.

If one is upset with what is being done with the brand identity, it doesn't make sense to blame CUSA. When a dog takes a crap in your front yard, do you blame the dog? Of course not, you blame the owner for not controlling their animal. If you're pissed about a check mark logo with the label "Amiga" carved into the case of a Linux PC, blame Amiga, Inc, they're the owner of the brand identity.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685125
Dumbshít.

****stain.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »

Jesus, you really don't have a problem with what is going on? You don't see how bastardizing the Amiga name is going to affect us all? For outside observers all they will see is CUSA and you don't see the significance of this will do to our precious community? What are you completely retarded*?

I notice your name is highlighted in blue with the words vip/donor written underneath it. This implies you are of someone who commands great respect in these parts. I think you should be stripped of this as you don't deserve it.

:confused:

Strange analogy

*pardon my French ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »

Good post. Too many commodore fanboys that get upset easily. The more companies using "amiga" type name brings more recongnition to "amiga" community. And maybe gets some guys to drag their classics out of the closet.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 25, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;685260
Good post. Too many commodore fanboys that get upset easily. The more companies using "amiga" type name brings more recognition to "amiga" community. And maybe gets some guys to drag their classics out of the closet.

Or, it could back fire and cause some people to abandon their classic Amiga's. This is affecting the communities image. Not necessarily for the better.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.