Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lets talk or play... Breathless  (Read 4974 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Lets talk or play... Breathless
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
In one of the AGA threads, a few people jumped in and mentioned they really enjoyed Breathless. So do I, and I am playing through it currently, so I thought it'd be nice to have a chat about it.

The ground rules:

Any comparison to Doom is forbidden. Thank you. That is all

So to kick things off, it ran okay but pretty sluggish on my old accelerator (030/25, 8 megs RAM). With my new ACA1230/56, it runs really well. Max screen size is still too slow but you can get a good size one or two steps below, and 1x1 pixels and still play at a good pace.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: Lets talk or play... Breathless
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:43:48 AM »
Yep, I loved Breathless too. I'm going to flaut your rules about comparing with Doom though. Yes Breathless was a very different game: techno-action rather than horror, so had a totally different atmosphere. But I never thought it would run on my 040 A1200 after trying Doom and finding it unplayable and ugly.

Nonetheless I took a chance and bought the floppy version of Breathless in a sale, and I was totally blown away. Great graphics, amazing huge levels, smooth movement in full screen, and proper 3D with looking!!! Breathless was one of the few games I played all the way through as I was totally gripped by it.

As I mentioned in the AGA thread, the only think that disappointed me about Breathless was that all the enemies were robots. Robots destroying other robots doesn't quite have the same atmosphere as humans killing aliens/demons/other humans ;) I wonder if anybody could mod Breathless to change the enemy graphics?

Sorry for the Doom comparison, but I think it was necessary in demonstrating the technical achievement of Breathless.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:45:49 AM »
Quote from: motorollin;602349
Yep, I loved Breathless too. I'm going to flaut your rules about comparing with Doom though. Yes Breathless was a very different game: techno-action rather than horror, so had a totally different atmosphere. But I never thought it would run on my 040 A1200 after trying Doom and finding it unplayable and ugly.

Nonetheless I took a chance and bought the floppy version of Breathless in a sale, and I was totally blown away. Great graphics, amazing huge levels, smooth movement in full screen, and proper 3D with looking!!! Breathless was one of the few games I played all the way through as I was totally gripped by it.

As I mentioned in the AGA thread, the only think that disappointed me about Breathless was that all the enemies were robots. Robots destroying other robots doesn't quite have the same atmosphere as humans killing aliens/demons/other humans ;) I wonder if anybody could mod Breathless to change the enemy graphics?

Sorry for the Doom comparison, but I think it was necessary in demonstrating the technical achievement of Breathless.

--
moto

well, okay :) I wanted to avoid the "wah wah doom killed the amiga" garbage. So you are okay mate.

And I agree, the graphics are gorgeous. Very crisp and sharp, which is an area where AB3D and Gloom definately had room to improve, great as those are.

The music is amazing too. The game really reminds of the Terminator movies.

Offline motorollin

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
Quote from: runequester;602350
well, okay :) I wanted to avoid the "wah wah doom killed the amiga" garbage. So you are okay mate.

I think that Breathless quite clearly proved that the Amiga was capable of its own Doom. So I don't think Doom killed the Amiga at all.

;)

And I agree, the graphics are gorgeous. Very crisp and sharp, which is an area where AB3D and Gloom definately had room to improve, great as those are.

I completely agree, the graphics in Gloom are terrible. Though it was fairly fun to play for a little while, due to its speed. Breathless wasn't as fast IIRC, but it didn't need to be; I remember it being more a creeping around game rather than a running-around-making-crowds-of-skinheads-explode game ;)

The music is amazing too. The game really reminds of the Terminator movies.

IIRC I played without music. I'll have to dig out my copy of Breathless and reinstall it on my A1200 :)

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Quote from: motorollin;602352
I think that Breathless quite clearly proved that the Amiga was capable of its own Doom. So I don't think Doom killed the Amiga at all.

;)

I completely agree, the graphics in Gloom are terrible. Though it was fairly fun to play for a little while, due to its speed. Breathless wasn't as fast IIRC, but it didn't need to be; I remember it being more a creeping around game rather than a running-around-making-crowds-of-skinheads-explode game ;)

IIRC I played without music. I'll have to dig out my copy of Breathless and reinstall it on my A1200 :)

--
moto

The thing with Gloom is.. its basically a 2D shooter like Chaos Engine, but in 3D. Its fun, but its a straight up blaster (with lots of guts).

And yeah, you're right. You can dash in Breathless but you really need to take it slow, get the drop on the enemies a few at a time, and avoid getting cornered.
I love that they'll come after you too, if you bail. No mercy from the robot overlords :D

Offline motorollin

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 08:58:57 AM »
Quote from: runequester;602354
The thing with Gloom is.. its basically a 2D shooter like Chaos Engine, but in 3D. Its fun, but its a straight up blaster (with lots of guts).

Agreed. It's basically a different type of game, and the resemblance in 3D effect is purely cosmetic ;)

Quote from: runequester;602354
And yeah, you're right. You can dash in Breathless but you really need to take it slow, get the drop on the enemies a few at a time, and avoid getting cornered.
I love that they'll come after you too, if you bail. No mercy from the robot overlords :D

Yeah! Robots have no fear of death :)
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »
We could use a few SA-style Let's play-threads. I was thinking about making one about Genetic Species.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »
Quote from: whabang;602356
We could use a few SA-style Let's play-threads. I was thinking about making one about Genetic Species.

I would LOVE that. I need to reinstall that game, and see if I can get AHI to work this time around.

Offline motorollin

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
Quote from: whabang;602356

Unfortunately I never got Genetic Species to run at a reasonable speed/quality, even on an 060+RTG, which was a shame as I'd read amazing things about the graphics in that game.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
Quote from: motorollin;602359
Unfortunately I never got Genetic Species to run at a reasonable speed/quality, even on an 060+RTG, which was a shame as I'd read amazing things about the graphics in that game.

--
moto

When I had it installed on my old system, it didn't run too bad. Was playable in any event, but since I couldn't get sound to work, I ended up deleting it.

Offline whabang

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 09:10:48 AM »
Quote from: motorollin;602359

--
moto
It runs like a charm under UAE. :p

Offline motorollin

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »
Quote from: runequester;602360
When I had it installed on my old system, it didn't run too bad. Was playable in any event, but since I couldn't get sound to work, I ended up deleting it.

Ahh well, I'll have enough to keep me entertained with Breathless today :)
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline motorollin

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
Quote from: whabang;602361
It runs like a charm under UAE. :p

Blasphemy!!! :lol:
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline whabang

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 09:36:46 AM »
Well, if I'm to do a Let's play-thread, I want video clips and screenshots! ;)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »
The thing which bothered me most about breathless was the "by blocks" level design. It was, essentially, Wolfenstein 3D extended vertically. However, I recognise that this simplicity was in no small part responsible for it's speed.

Breathless was the first AGA FPS (you thought I was going to say game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned clone, didn't you?) that really demonstrated that with appropriate conversion you could have a scalable 1x1 pixelmode engine. On my 040, it was playable at a reasonable size in 1x1.

From a technical achievement perspective though, no amiga-bred FPS game comes close to the AlienBreed 3D game for me though. Pity that TKG was so rushed, it could have been so much more.
int p; // A