Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New to Whdload what's The crack?  (Read 11458 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: New to Whdload what's The crack?
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 27, 2014, 10:30:34 PM »
Quote from: superfrog76;758042
I don't argue with the intrinsic value of having a phone; I just don't use it enough to make it worth the 40 dollars a month for the bill.

WHDLoad is a one-time purchase of approx. $30.00 USD (which includes free lifetime updates, AFAIK), not a monthly subscription.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;758030
Unfortunately, it's not clear from the eBay listings nowadays which of these cards have any games or demos installed.

Search harder. It's seriously right in the listing description, dude. If this was a technical item I'd be glad to send you a link, but you don't need that. Just put in "amiga cf", and look at descriptions like:

- Amiga A1200 4GB CF hdd AGA whd 2014 Edition
- Amiga 1200 4 GB CF Hard drive whdload
- Amiga 600 4GB Games & Demos Hard Disk Drive A600 CF HDD for Amiga 600
- Amiga 1200 8 GB CF Hard drive whdload 2014 Edition AGA + Demos
- Amiga A600 4gb cf HD Whdload 2014 Edition

Those are all active listings on ebay right now.  Or you could just download WHDLoad and put the files in C:.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:43:12 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline superfrog76

• Show only replies by superfrog76
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
True, I should have mentioned win zip instead than the phone ;)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 12:10:53 AM »
Quote from: superfrog76;758051
True, I should have mentioned win zip instead than the phone ;)

WinZip is a scam.  All of the basic zip functionality of it has been built into every operating system since Windows XP.  Unless you need to do some kind of encrypted archive, I don't know why anyone buys it other than it sneaks onto your machine when you download something else (damned pre-checked opt-outs that people never look at, LOL).

Offline superfrog76

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2014, 06:57:11 AM »
Indeed; the only license that I had for a V8.0, was on Win98 SE; the most useful feature was the pwd protection and the volume split in multiple archive :)

I remember the good old time when I had no internet at home, so I would go to the internet cafe and save stuff on a ton of floppy....winzip was the only way to do that :)

Offline superfrog76

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;758030
Unfortunately, it's not clear from the eBay listings nowadays which of these cards have any games or demos installed.

AmigaBruno: This is the video that I was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd42RsKHm5Y

Most of the lists has info about the fact that they have games; just need patience to read them.

Searched right now and found 4 of them. BTW if you have already the IDE CF reader, just avoid to waste time with ebay and get a Sandisk CF from any shop around you; less hassle.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
Quote from: superfrog76;758064
Indeed; the only license that I had for a V8.0, was on Win98 SE; the most useful feature was the pwd protection and the volume split in multiple archive :)

I remember the good old time when I had no internet at home, so I would go to the internet cafe and save stuff on a ton of floppy....winzip was the only way to do that :)

Yepp I used WinZip to back in the day, now it's bloatware trash sadly.

Today all I need on a x86 machine is 7-zip and/or winrar got some problems vise versa with em and huge 500GB-1.5TB splited torrents so need both installed.

I remember I also used WinACE and Unace in the past.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:37:17 AM by som99 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2014, 09:53:11 AM »
Quote from: superfrog76;757987
Spirantho, I agree that a lot of work went into WHDLoad, but at the same time, I would like to point out as example, the impact between WHDLoad, and Amiga forever. Which is totally in favor of the latter IMO.

WHDLoad gave the real amiga users, the chance to run games that would not run on the hd, and in some cases, make them run on configurations which would never be able to run certain games. AF on the other side, put a ton of work to make the emulated Amiga available to the masses....they both use the games written by others, but to me, AF value is much higher than WHDLoad; looking at what it does and what kind of impact has.

They cost almost the same..., but one sell you the right to use the original roms and run games/WB; while the other allow you to run games that would run  on floppy, in the worst case....or run games that honestly, are a minimal part of the whole catalog of Amiga games. Among the 2, I see value in AF, but not in WHDLoad, to justify that price.

On the moral issue, I think it is pretty much a personal opinion...most of the games running on the Amiga (emulated or real) are cracked anyway...if someone has no problems to download a ton of cracked games, has even less problems to pay someone to play them from the HD; if you catch my point. I don't have cracked images; the only ADF that I have are of the games that I had on floppy, and that I still have (except some cases, where the game itself does not exist anymore, altho the receipts that I paid are still somewhere in my archive for sure).

Far from blaming anyone! This is how I am, I do not criticize, judge or do the sermon, just because I act in this way. I am simply marking the fact that once that you go on a certain route (cracked games), then the whole subsequent reasoning may be warped by the first choices made.

In a certain way, also the crackers that cracked the games put a lot of work in what they did...altho some do work for the love of doing it, others for gaining money.

Maybe I am just too old fashioned :)

This discussion is almost as strange as the discussion "too much Linux threads on AmigaOS forum". You guys really know how to motivate the few developers :-). Really what are you talking about? I own both several licenses of AmigaForever and the WHDLoad key. I am the creator of AROS Vision and WHDLoad perfectly works in it (without it many games would not work on it). Then I hate discs, I find them annoying today. That so many users sticked on discs in a time HD was becoming standard on the PCs was one of the reasons why the Amiga-platform lost the game. There is abolsutely no reason to use discs or ADF today and WHDLoad solves it for many old games. It is one of the few brilliant amiga programs that are still in development. I would recommend to support all developers that still do something and that is the case for both AmigaForever and WHDLoad. And moral issues... you cannot blame WHDLoad for being also used for "cracked games", that would be the same when you would blame the atom for being used as bomb. And besides the damage was done back in the days when there was still a commercial market and people copied the games instead of buying them ("because the software companies are all rich and people are only poor children"). If more people would have bought new hardware and new games at this time who knows. But that is another topic...

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 09:57:55 AM »
Quote from: superfrog76;758024
Yes, why it is so strange? Do you deal with people that live only for money? Nobody does something for free or for passion? I pity them, they must have a really sad and miserable life. The fact that you have a gift or skills, does not mean necessarily that you must monetize it 24/7. I have a full time job that pay a lot and give me the chance to do what I love; so I am lucky probably.

I don't know if it is made in VB or not; the UI is exactly the same even if you use Visual C++. I agree that without UAE there would be no AF, but is the same for WHDLoad: without games there would be no WHDLoad. You can still use the AF frontend without launch the games thou, as database and catalog system thou.

I am simply comparing the legality and usefulness of the 2, since they both depend from something else. To me one's price is fine, while the other seems excessive, that's all.

SO WHDLoad is not freeloading on games? I see you having a strong opinion on AF, but I don't see you making a reasonable comment on WHDLoad thou, which makes me think that you take side, and not just analyzing the things like I am trying to do.

I don't want to change your ideas, I express my opinion, to see if someone has arguments that could make me change my mind about this product legality

"Nobody does something for free or for passion?"

Then what about you? What do you contribute (except this discussion)? It sounds a little arrogant to be honest (too many people are making discussions and instead of contributing anything that makes sense).

And when you are earning so much then why do you discuss several pages about a one-time contribution of a few dollars? Strange...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:13:20 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline AAACHIPSET

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »
dont use winzip  for anything  ..now i use a program freeware ..called universal extractor ..it will unarchive  anything almost  ..i unarchive  lha  programs  for amiga  ..an burn the programs  to cd ..dont even have to use shell  on amiga now..run whd games  from cd if i want ..install  straight from cd..
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline superfrog76

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;758070
This discussion is almost as strange as the discussion "too much Linux threads on AmigaOS forum". You guys really know how to motivate the few developers :-). Really what are you talking about? I own both several licenses of AmigaForever and the WHDLoad key. I am the creator of AROS Vision and WHDLoad perfectly works in it (without it many games would not work on it). Then I hate discs, I find them annoying today. That so many users sticked on discs in a time HD was becoming standard on the PCs was one of the reasons why the Amiga-platform lost the game. There is abolsutely no reason to use discs or ADF today and WHDLoad solves it for many old games. It is one of the few brilliant amiga programs that are still in development. I would recommend to support all developers that still do something and that is the case for both AmigaForever and WHDLoad. And moral issues... you cannot blame WHDLoad for being also used for "cracked games", that would be the same when you would blame the atom for being used as bomb. And besides the damage was done back in the days when there was still a commercial market and people copied the games instead of buying them ("because the software companies are all rich and people are only poor children"). If more people would have bought new hardware and new games at this time who knows. But that is another topic...

If you would go back to the first posts, you would see what was the main point; was nothing more than a personal debate at moral level, about why I decided to ditch WHDLoad. Because to me; asking for money for something that is based on copyright protected games, seems not right; especially when you consider that the main function is to install games on hd (and in other cases, to run them on configs that were not supporting these games).

Then I pointed out that to me, AF was more value than WHDLoad, since it doesn't just allow to install games on hd, but is more of a frontend/collector tool, which also comes with licensed roms and software.

That's the sum of what I said; altho it seems that it was considered as a direct propaganda against WHDLoad. The fact that I don't want to use it, doesn't mean that people worked hard on it (as was remarked to oblivion, so let's add it again! :) ), or that it is evil and people must purify themselves from it.

To me disks are fine; especially because I own originals, I didn't download the whole shebang from torrent sites...since we talk about support towards developers.

Forgive me but the atom comparison is a bit bizarre...what WHDLoad does, is not different from what a nocd crack does on a pc game..this is maybe a better comparison, since there are people that legally wants to play without carry a ton of games disks, but the majority uses them to circumvent disk protections. I get your point thou.

The damage was done; people that used copied software killed the Amiga; and that's a fact that is clear to many; but is this a reason to say WTH; they won't make money anymore anyway :) I have problems with my own conscience; that's what is harder for me to accept; especially when I still scavenge the interwebs to find original games today...as I mentioned, I must be an old fashioned person, that puts principles ahed of everything.

Offline superfrog76

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;758073
"Nobody does something for free or for passion?"

Then what about you? What do you contribute (except this discussion)? It sounds a little arrogant to be honest (too many people are making discussions and instead of contributing anything that makes sense).

And when you are earning so much then why do you discuss several pages about a one-time contribution of a few dollars? Strange...

I supported the Amiga when it was alive; buying original.

At that time I was a novice at programming, but today, after 12 years of C++, I consider myself quite decent to be able to write something on an Amiga; and I am planning to learn how to code in assembly.

Sorry if I am not immediately jumping and making the next killer app for the Amiga :) I can't wait to get the ton of money that will flow like rivers :) sarcasm aside, the little time does not allow me to spend/waste it in the ways that I enjoy. Some times I wish I was a student again, without kids and family, to dedicate time only to what I like.

I don't buy it not for the money, but for a principle; the same principle that force me to not use it even in demo mode, and the same principle that made me delete the crack key with a totally functional version of WHDLoad, including a ton of games; that I received from an Ebayer; when I purchased a CF card.

Principles for some has more value than anything, but I understand that they are quite out of place in some cases....it may sound strange to you, but to me makes totally sense. After spending about 800 dollars to make my custom miggy, I feel like I can spend more; but I prefer to spend them for original games in boxes :) Just found a good copy of gloom for less than 10 dollars.

Anyway; I made 1 post mentioning my thoughts, the rest were replies. I was done already a page or 2 ago ;) Then if on a forum, we cannot even express our opinions; unless they are positive about a certain product, it means that we are under regime LOL

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:33 AM »
Quote from: superfrog76;758078
I supported the Amiga when it was alive; buying original.

At that time I was a novice at programming, but today, after 12 years of C++, I consider myself quite decent to be able to write something on an Amiga; and I am planning to learn how to code in assembly.

Sorry if I am not immediately jumping and making the next killer app for the Amiga :) I can't wait to get the ton of money that will flow like rivers :) sarcasm aside, the little time does not allow me to spend/waste it in the ways that I enjoy. Some times I wish I was a student again, without kids and family, to dedicate time only to what I like.

I don't buy it not for the money, but for a principle; the same principle that force me to not use it even in demo mode, and the same principle that made me delete the crack key with a totally functional version of WHDLoad, including a ton of games; that I received from an Ebayer; when I purchased a CF card.

Principles for some has more value than anything, but I understand that they are quite out of place in some cases....it may sound strange to you, but to me makes totally sense. After spending about 800 dollars to make my custom miggy, I feel like I can spend more; but I prefer to spend them for original games in boxes :) Just found a good copy of gloom for less than 10 dollars.

Anyway; I made 1 post mentioning my thoughts, the rest were replies. I was done already a page or 2 ago ;) Then if on a forum, we cannot even express our opinions; unless they are positive about a certain product, it means that we are under regime LOL

I bought a lot of original software back in the days too because I wanted development (even though I also had "security backups" :-) ). I left the platform many years ago and returned about 3 years ago and looked how I can contribute today. And with "today" I really mean now and not if someone bought software 20 years ago. You have lots of experience with C++? That is great because we need developers that contribute there. For example porting applications or helping f.e. on AROS. Lots of work to do. How do you think? That helps more than moralize about some people playing 20 years old games where most of the companies do not exist anymore (I know that because I tried to get in contact) or at least have long dropped our platform and are making online-games today.

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2014, 03:35:39 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;758046
Search harder. It's seriously right in the listing description, dude. If this was a technical item I'd be glad to send you a link, but you don't need that. Just put in "amiga cf", and look at descriptions like:

- Amiga A1200 4GB CF hdd AGA whd 2014 Edition
- Amiga 1200 4 GB CF Hard drive whdload
- Amiga 600 4GB Games & Demos Hard Disk Drive A600 CF HDD for Amiga 600
- Amiga 1200 8 GB CF Hard drive whdload 2014 Edition AGA + Demos
- Amiga A600 4gb cf HD Whdload 2014 Edition

Those are all active listings on ebay right now.  Or you could just download WHDLoad and put the files in C:.

I've already sent one seller a message, explaining that I couldn't install WHDload, but that I don't represent eBay or any software houses. The seller admitted that it contained WHDload and games, but no demos. That's who I'll buy it from in the near future. It seems I have to waste some money by buying it complete with IDE adaptor, though.

Unfortunately, I can't work out how to install WHDload. I asked for a simple and clear explanation. You said "you could just download WHDload and put the files in C:." Does that mean I just transfer the WHDload files over to the C directory on the CF card? I think I confused this with the C: Windows directory. If so, what's the list of files I need? The YouTube videos by retrosofer have left me confused. He even seems to say that somehow you can replace the ROM already fitted on your real Amiga with another ROM image, which is probably Kickstart 1.3 to run most games, or even the CD32 ROM. Is this something WHDload can do?

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2014, 03:46:49 PM »
Quote from: superfrog76;758066
AmigaBruno: This is the video that I was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd42RsKHm5Y

Most of the lists has info about the fact that they have games; just need patience to read them.

Searched right now and found 4 of them. BTW if you have already the IDE CF reader, just avoid to waste time with ebay and get a Sandisk CF from any shop around you; less hassle.

I've seen that video before, but it didn't help. I'll watch it all again later. I must repeat that I can't work out how to install WHDload! I'm also in danger of deleting my artwork which is saved onto my current CF card, because I couldn't find a way to copy it off there. I can only copy it onto Amiga formatted disks. I'd like to transfer it onto another device. I recently failed to find a way of formatting a disk to MS-DOS DD format on Workbench 3.1 with BetterWB, because I've forgotten how I used to do this years ago. I could only do it on an old PC from 2000 after I plug it all in.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;758088
I've already sent one seller a message, explaining that I couldn't install WHDload, but that I don't represent eBay or any software houses. The seller admitted that it contained WHDload and games, but no demos. That's who I'll buy it from in the near future. It seems I have to waste some money by buying it complete with IDE adaptor, though.

Unfortunately, I can't work out how to install WHDload. I asked for a simple and clear explanation. You said "you could just download WHDload and put the files in C:." Does that mean I just transfer the WHDload files over to the C directory on the CF card? I think I confused this with the C: Windows directory. If so, what's the list of files I need? The YouTube videos by retrosofer have left me confused. He even seems to say that somehow you can replace the ROM already fitted on your real Amiga with another ROM image, which is probably Kickstart 1.3 to run most games, or even the CD32 ROM. Is this something WHDload can do?

What are you using? UAE or real hardware and when which model? You can integrate original roms in whdload but I do not think you could run AGA games on real hardware without AGA.