Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The type of game that Amiga really, REALLY misses.  (Read 1381 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaManceTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaMance
The type of game that Amiga really, REALLY misses.
« on: March 26, 2006, 01:09:37 PM »
That would be a modern flight simultator, don't you think?
We have "modern" 3D shoot 'em ups like FreeSpace, Racing games like WipeOut, arcade-platform like Heretic 2, adventure, strategy games etc, etc. But not even one, relatively modern, flight simulator. :-(
 The last FS that came out for the Amiga was TFX or maybe Jet pilot. They were both good back then but today, they look really old and not impressive at all.
 Imagine a PPC native or/and 3D HW accelerated simulator with realistic flight model (imho, the most important factor for this brand of games)  and detailed, fully texture-mapped, shaded graphics. Something like FreeSpace 1 or 2 but on planet earth with F-16s instead of spaceships.
 I'm browsing 11 years old, pc magazines and i'm drooling as i look the reviews of these old simulators.. Oh well..

A1200 PPC user.

Offline Morax

• Show only replies by Morax
Re: The type of game that Amiga really, REALLY misses.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »
Back in the early days there was some stuff I missed on the Amiga, we missed a lot of (especially AGA/CD-based) point&click adventures (because Sierra stopped developing for the Amiga since 1992/'93, and Lucasarts since '94 or so). I know there were a lot of them released, but PC-users had so much more of them :s

Spacesims, there was a lack of spacesims on the Amiga, there were a few, like only the first Wing Commander game and Frontier, and Star Crusader, but not much... Oh and of course the lack of fast 3D-rendering...

And what about Real-time Strategy? How many of those were released on our machine? I can only think of Dune 2, and 2 maybe 3 that were released after '98.

But for momentarily, I think the new(er) Amiga's aren't real games-machines anymore, and most developers think the same, so they won't develope for it. Too busy with their PS2/3, Xbox (360), and mario-stuff ;-)
-Nothing to see here, move along!-

Offline pVC

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:38:19 PM »
I miss mostly good racing simulators. Although there's now VirtualGP2 for MOS, but nothing more. Some rally, f1, gt games anyone? There's tons of them on PC, but nothing on Amiga.. latest are practically from a500 era.

Morax: I think those genres you mention are the best supported on Amiga :) For recent RTS games: Knights&Merchants, Warcraft2, Earth2140 and mission pack, Exodus, Napalm, MoonBase, Red Mars (?)... for space sims at least that Descent Freespace 1 and 2... for adventures The Feeble Files, ScummVM games :), Nightlong, Simon the Sorcerer 2, Codename Hellsquad, 6th Sense Investigations, Abduction, Double Agent, Lost on Parrot Island, Teen Agent.. all 1998 or newer. Recent for Amiga if not for others :) There are other genres which haven't got any releases for 10 years.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Morax

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:42:42 PM »
pVC: I was more talking about back in the ol' days, like between '93 and '96... And you're right, some of the pc-original rts-games have been ported to the Amiga, which for most you require a PPC, and the games were a couple of years later than the initial releases.
And about ScummVM: that didn't come along until very recently, and you require OS 4.0 (at for least the one on their website).
About the spacesims, Freespace were IMHO the best 2 of them ever made, it's nice to see that a port of the second one (which is even better than the first one) is available, or will be. And ofcourse there aren't many of them on the PC, and even less at this moment. Only X3... but a Wing Commander 3 would have been nice on a classic A1200 :p.

About the racing sims, I always thought there were tons of them on the amiga, mostly on the A500, but also a few A1200 ones... But after '95 or '96 there isn't much for it. Maybe because developers think that there's no point? I don't know  :-(

EDIT: What about RPG's? Back then there were lots of 'm, but I can't remember seeing more "modern" ones for our beloved machine! I am talking about stuff like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment, which also shouldn't be to hard to port to the Amiga, because no 3D rendering is used. And ofcourse the Japanese Nintendo/Playstation Zelda-type RPG's other than Speris Legacy...

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 02:20:12 PM »
A modern racing simulator..
Though it seems to lack most modern games these days, with the exception of a few fps ports

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 02:35:42 PM »
I wish there were more 'isometric' view games such as "Syndicate".
"Flag" should have been an excelent game, such a pity it was never completed.
Are there any other similar games that were finished?
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Morax

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 12:34:45 PM »

orange wrote:
I wish there were more 'isometric' view games such as "Syndicate".
"Flag" should have been an excelent game, such a pity it was never completed.
Are there any other similar games that were finished?

Sabre Team, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Hero Quest 1 & 2, Legends, World of Legends, Heimdall 1 & 2, and many more are 3rd person isometric ;-)

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 12:48:28 PM »
too many companies built games that ran on a basic A500.  If they would have forced the issue along w/other companies that their games required a HD, gfx card etc..I'm sure we would have seen much better games.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Morax

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 01:03:38 PM »

TheMagicM wrote:
too many companies built games that ran on a basic A500.  If they would have forced the issue along w/other companies that their games required a HD, gfx card etc..I'm sure we would have seen much better games.

Yeah they could have made games more compatible with and having them make advantage of more memory (not talking about the 512 Slow mem ;-) ), faster cpu's, HARDDISKS, AGA and/or graphic cards... Maybe some sort of graphic card/accelerator that would fit in a desktop A500/600/1200, similar to the announced Akiko-upgrade for the A1200. Maybe if they tried to advertise more on the A1200, big developing companies would have been more willing to develope for that fantastic machine...