Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's behind Microsoft's fall from dominance?  (Read 12180 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: What's behind Microsoft's fall from dominance?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »
Shock horror.
Yet another thread by sysadmin trying to convince themselves that MS is a doomed entity.
Seriously, give it up please.
I thought this was amiga.org, not "Imanapplefanboydesperatetoconvincepeoplemicrosoftisdying.org".

Theyre still the dominant desktop OS by a factor of 10 or more, plus their console is doing quite well.
All businesses have teething problems when trying to break into new markets. Even if they dont capture much of the newer markets then so what? Are you really so sad that hoping others fail gets you up in the morning?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:01:48 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »
@fishy_fiz: Micro$hit IS doomed for real. Just look around you: PC sales are going down fast, while smartphone and tablet OSes are taking all over the place. Microsoft has lost these market to Google and Apple. Can you say otherwise?

And I'm happy to see M$ on it's knees at last: it has been the most harmful software company ever, with the worst products yet the highest desktop sales and user base. I'll truly celebrate their ruin!

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »
If it werent for MS, we'd be using much less powerful hardware than we do now. Like it or not theyve played a huge part in what we're using today, even if a person choses another OS.
As for PC sales, that's a budget/recession thing as much, or moreso than a trend switching. Cheap/nasty phones and slate devices are more affordable to many people than a new computer (not to mention that a typical pc is as powerful as the phone/slate morons need, ergo they may not upgrade as frequently as they once mightve). Generic PC sales still outnumber apple pc sales by a massive margin.

Personally I dont care what people use, but this need to see others fail is sad and pathetic, and more than a little tiring. I visit amiga sites to read and chat about amigas, not to read about others delusions.

Also, "Micro$hit"?? Seriously? What are you, 12?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:22:08 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline bburtonpa

• Show only replies by bburtonpa
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:27:21 PM »
@gaula92 - It's evident that you have no idea what life is like in the business world.  

The company I work for has over 15,000 computer users worldwide, ALL using Microsoft products.  In spite of what you may think, most work is not done on tablets or smart phones, but by people sitting at desks using laptops or desktop machines.  The business world has no intent of ever moving to an underpowered Android device or an overpriced Apple product.  Thank goodness the majority of IT departments are run by intelligent managers, not by fan boys like yourself.

The ONLY contender for a business O/S besides Windows is, of course Linux, however I don't see much movement in that direction.  The Linux business model is not what most companies are looking for in selecting an operating system,  It's unfortunate, but true.

Whether you like it or not, Microsoft will be around for many years to come.

Offline theformula

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
@gaula92

you seem to be forgetting the whole xbox area of Microsoft which is massive. Oh and the recent purchase of Nokia. I would hardly say they are on their knees.

Nintendo on the other hand......
A1200T Blizzard 1240/040/128MB Mediator Voodoo 3
A4000 Cyberstorm MkIII Picasso IV
A1200 020 Viper 8mb
Macmini G4 Morphos 3.1
2x A4000/030 Stock

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
Re: business.  Business doesn't have high hardware and software turnover.  There are businesses still running P4's with Server 2003 and Office 2003.  Their computer is just a tool, they don't need a different hammer...we are one such business with 6000 employees..

OTOH consumers hardware is good enough and has been good enough since since Win 7 came out for most people's needs.  Games no longer push the hardware as they once did. No new hardware means no new operating system is needed.

Also the Win 8 experience is just too jarring for experienced users, and lets face it, who wants to waste time and effort re-learning to do the same thing a different way.

The other thing is the sort of things that non-computer enthusiasts did on PC's they can do more coveniently with a phone.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
MS isn't dying, falling apart or even crumbling to dust. They are simply adapting to today's reality where most people don't buy a new PC every year, and where mobile first is the new black.

At the moment they aren't the largest player, but that's not neccesarily a bad thing. People often like the underdog and considering what monsters Apple and Google have become, it's not unlikely they'll choose the lesser evil. :)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;747447

Also the Win 8 experience is just too jarring for experienced users, and lets face it, who wants to waste time and effort re-learning to do the same thing a different way.

Well said.  It's true anytime an industry, or a company makes a 'business decision' without being tuned to their users.  The same scenario is playing out with Gnome.  It has been playing out for 40 years with US car companies.

What's behind Microsoft's fall from dominance?  Their visionary took a hike.

Bill is often vilified (even caught a pie the face to great applause).  Imagine the industry if Steve Jobs had managed to have Bill's uninterrupted success and dominance.  I wonder if the dominant OS would have been more Orwellian.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:04:36 PM by Tenacious »

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
I don't bother about Microsoft and they are more irrelevant to me than I am to them. Nevertheless, it's weird to see that there are millions of MS fanboys nowdays, not just 12year olds but older too.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;747447
Also the Win 8 experience is just too jarring for pussies

Fixed that for you.

It's different, if you can't cope with different then the Windows 8 UI change is not your biggest obstacle in life.

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;747459
Fixed that for you.

It's different, if you can't cope with different then the Windows 8 UI change is not your biggest obstacle in life.

Not only it is different, it's worse too.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 04:52:31 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;747459
And once again, we fall back on "well you're just a stupid poopyhead who's afraid of change!" Gee, it's almost like engaging the argument on any other terms might lead to having to argue about Metro's actual quality or appropriacy to a desktop/laptop setting or something.

What's behind Microsoft's fall from dominance? Maybe its insistence on trying to set "new directions" nobody wants and inflict them on the userbase by force rather than listen to what its users have been telling it for years now...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
@psxphill has obviously never had to be in charge of an IT department with limited resources and a stretched-thin budget facing having to rewrite their enterprise software for compatibility and retrain 15,000 non-technical users who can barely use a pencil sharpener, and just want to be able to (quote) "get their work done"(TM).  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:08:25 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
I havde heard that MS will fall song since the 90s, its not going to happen.

And regarding win8, you may or may not like it, but it took my mother a very short time, less than 1 hour, to learn it. It is actually very user friendly.