Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HEY JENS!!! Clone-A Progress Report?  (Read 12587 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: HEY JENS!!! Clone-A Progress Report?
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 01:52:42 AM »
Yep does sound a bit strange.  I have no personal information on this site apart from my D.O.B 11/09/1902 and my real name 'Mr Big'.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 01:52:55 AM »
OMG!! I was just watching the Amiga roundtable video that was linked and he not only gives out his email address but his home phone number. Holy cow, doesn't he realize how dangerous that is. I can do a reverse lookup on that number and come make him listen to MOD files all night long.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Tension

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 01:57:11 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;539616
Jens was probably drunk when he made his last post, and he'll probably be back again sometime.

That's also a strong possibility  :)

But seriously, think about it.

Whoever owns this site has all our details we gave at registration, plus access to our private mail.

I would be paranoid if I was a businessman within the Amiga community, and then the site I use to communicate to others with is bought over by some unknown entity.  It could be a competitor, or whoever.  The point remains the same - I don't blame him for leaving.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 02:31:12 AM »
I will agree with you on that, and even more if you think that the person who bought it is an investor in another Company.
When the owner was Wayne, we all knew who he was, an enthusiastic Amiga user that worked in Amiga.org as his personal hobby, we all knew what were his goals.

We know zilch about current owner, and his intentions!

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 03:35:43 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;539620
I will agree with you on that, and even more if you think that the person who bought it is an investor in another Company.
When the owner was Wayne, we all knew who he was, an enthusiastic Amiga user that worked in Amiga.org as his personal hobby, we all knew what were his goals.

If you trusted Wayne as much as you say, why not trust him with who he sold the site to? He made it clear that he did it with the knowledge that it was going to maintained up to his standards.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 03:38:00 AM »
Quote from: Tension;539619
That's also a strong possibility  :)

But seriously, think about it.

Whoever owns this site has all our details we gave at registration, plus access to our private mail.

I would be paranoid if I was a businessman within the Amiga community, and then the site I use to communicate to others with is bought over by some unknown entity.  It could be a competitor, or whoever.

Doubtful since the angel investor does not understand how to Admin the site and does not even have or want Admin rights. The investor only wanted to save Amiga.org and compensate Wayne for his time. The only details I have are what you provide and you can change those at anytime.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 03:56:32 AM »
@Pyromania
Does he/she have a long, mid term plan with Amiga.org? What does he/she expect to change something in the future?
Is he/she someone we could trust for being a non profit maker regarding Amiga.org, and is he/she an amiga fan? Can we trust what he/she says?

I know it sounds trying to troll, but i feel like i dont understand what is behind hiding his/her ownernership. It sounds quite odd, suspicious, i am a bit confused by this.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 04:35:48 AM »
I don't see why it's such a big secret.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 06:28:38 AM »
Quote from: alexh;539543
The Denise from Clone-A project is inside the Indivision ECS product.

He shouldn't need a license from Amiga Inc. for the hardware because any patents covering both ECS & AGA have lapsed. It is more than 17 years since they would have been filed.

I guess he needed the license to use the name Amiga

AFAIK the end goal was a single chip product in silicon, and I guess he didn't think it would be complete without the name, kickstart and OS?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 06:36:08 AM »
Quote from: Erebos;539554
I seriously do not understand why people are leaving or are thinking of....
Why guys ? What is the problem with the new owners ? nothing have changed

It's not about whether anything changed or not. I think Jens and the others has raised very good points. Keeping ownership a secret is strange and ridiculous.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 07:51:14 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;539620

I don't think Wayne will object to my saying that you got that slightly wrong. He's not been an amiga user for many years now, let alone an enthusiastic one. One of the motivations for selling the site was that he wanted someone that still is such an enthusiast to take over.

I don't know any more about the new owner than you do, but I do know that whoever it was paid 10,000USD and so far hasn't made any changes to how the site is run or felt the need to stamp their authority or opinion on it.
int p; // A

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 08:10:57 AM »
So you are saying that Wayne is no more an enthusiastic Amiga user, not even an Amiga user. Well i didnt say the contrary. What i said is that he was (past tense), so we all knew what were his intentions. Of course he probably got tired and lost interest, and.... 10000 USD doesnt hurt! :)

But the fact still remains we know zilch about the current owner and his intentions, and that it sounds at least suspicious when he hides who he is in a secretive manner behind a privately held company.

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 10:06:57 AM »
Maybe someone can ask the angel investor if he want to invest in the Clone-A or AROS?
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 10:12:16 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;539651
So you are saying that Wayne is no more an enthusiastic Amiga user, not even an Amiga user. Well i didnt say the contrary. What i said is that he was (past tense), so we all knew what were his intentions.

Well, intentionally or not, you implied Wayne was an amiga user at the time he was running the site. That's not strictly the case, he hasn't (by his own admission) been an active amiga user for the the last few years he was in charge.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:27:57 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Okay, probably i expressed it wrong or you missunderstood that, it really doesnt matter anyway. :)

The matter of discussion was not really what Wayne does or did, it was about the suspicious Amiga.org owner not revealing his/her name and intentions.

Back to topic:

I dont see what is the issue with licensing, Jens can sell his product under Clone-A name and put empty sockets for kickstart rom/s, or even a flash solutions that somehow allows Amiga Forever owners to move their legal rom file to flash media. In that way he doesnt require any licence, and he is not doing anything illegal stuff.
Of course, this means the user will have to purchase a legally valid rom.
If what he wanted was the "Amiga" name, really that isnt important. If he really cares that much about names, then it maybe easier for him to contact actual Commodore brandname owners and cut a deal with them. But i fail to see the licensing issue.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:03:42 AM by Gulliver »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 22, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
Maybe Jens is the new owner and has just played an awsome double bluff :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:05:43 PM by bloodline »