Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contaced a Factory in China about producing a run of fully populated Mini-migs  (Read 17071 times)

Description:

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
Who needs a SATA CDROM when a SATA DVDROM is just 16€... :-P
(LG GDR-H20NRBB @reichelt.de)

Offline Crom00Topic starter

• Show only replies by Crom00
One other thing to factor into costs, if this thing  were to actually sell in real numbers...whoever produces this can expect Amiga Inc. to file a lawsuit "with the quickness..."

Speaking in hypothetic terms of course...

Based upon the past works of Amiga Inc, and given the litagious actions of late (Hyperion case)...

I mean they can't even get it straight with someone they hired to develop the OS4. Imagine what they'll do if they find out someone just sold 50,000 Amiga clones. LOL!

One could argue that they would use the DMCA (or whatever legal grounds possible)and claim that the device promotes pirating of the Amiga IP, threatens Amiga patents, and promotes piracy etc. though use of the kickstart roms and ADF files, etc.

Sure we all know it aint so, that Mini-Mig is totally legal. It doesn't matter if you're right and they're totally wrong. Once someone sues you have to hire a lawyer to defend. Once you have 2 lawyers talking to each other the billable hours skyrocket.

Imainge a container loaded with Min-Migs held at customs because of a lawsuit. Ugghhh...

little wrote:

Call me crazy, but why not use the 1chipMSX case?

quote]

You can use the MSX case for inspiration, but they own that design and the tooling, you still have to tool your own case since the board layout of the Mini-Mig is not the same as the MSX.

Offline derringer3

• Show only replies by derringer3
Guys, 50K is an absurd.

They sell their mothers for 300-400 pcs . Ok these numbers for regular items (speakers, cases etc.) But for minimigs they will produce about 1000 pcs for a reasonable price.  
Amiga 500: 68030@14MHz/68882@40MHz/ 5.5MB RAM/80MB HDD/Delfina FE Sound card/Kickstart 3.1/OS 3.1

Macmini 10,1 PPC 1.58GHz, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD 5400rpm, Ati Radeon 9200/32MB, , MorphOs 3.1

PowerBook 15" PPC 1.67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD, ATI 9700/128MB, MorphOS 3.1

Yes a few hundred units is something that can be done by a small operation. 50k units gets you better pricing though for sure.

A design that removes the need for purchasing the mc68000 would be better.

Offline little

• Show only replies by little
claim that the device promotes pirating of the Amiga IP

If you mean the Amiga™ they are called mimimigs and if that fails then call them Amante :-D

threatens Amiga patents

If you mean hardware patents they have no legal case, reproducing the chip functionality without being an exact copy is legal, since AMD makes Intel x86 chips and how Intel makes AMD x86-64 compatible chips. There would be a legal case if  the zorro I/II/III interface was used.

promotes piracy etc. though use of the kickstart roms and ADF files

That is why a floppy interface is so important, remember you can load the kickstart from original amiga floppies. not to mention the operative system and 3rd party software. If reading adf is litigious then do not include it, anyone can add it later on the same way people install virtual floppy drive. Also, if the AROS kickstart is never created maybe there can be an "Amiga Forever, MMC edition" :-?

Imainge a container loaded with Min-Migs

If we are talking about a thousand boards then we are speaking of a big box. Also, at least for the time being this is an "open project" so it would be more difficult for Amiga inc. to get litagious actions when there is no corporation or company, just individuals; it would be a pain in the fenny to track a thousand names, addresses, etc.

they own that design and the tooling, you still have to tool your own case since the board layout of the Mini-Mig is not the same as the MSX.

AFAIK no one is using it and I bet the company that made the plastic molds would gladly produce a thousand pieces to whoever asked for them. As for the differing layout, remember it is really a piece of plastic with a bunch of wholes, I think there is enough space for an internal 3 1/2" floppy drive ;)

A design that removes the need for purchasing the mc68000 would be better.

That probably would be difficult, getting a bigger FPGA is too costly and it would be difficult to add a 68000 software core and leave space to continue to add funtionality.

BTW, I am only speaking my mind, but I am no lawyer nor verilog programmer, anyone with indepth knowledge feel free to punch me into submission ^^;

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
Why would you contact China..everything they make is CRAP!!

Why not the U.S.??  

Vlabguy1 wrote:
Why would you contact China..everything they make is CRAP!!

Why not the U.S.??  

Actually that isn't true, having been there and worked with crews myself. It's economics, the Chinese undercut US manufacturers by steep margins, have a extensive highly skilled low cost labor force, and are eager to please.

If you're manufacturing its a win win situation, if you're an out of work stateside engineer, Creative Service person, or factory worker with a family to feed, its a lousy situation if you've lost a job to outsourcing.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
The ADF issue is a non issue.  Obviously we would all be building these to play the highly acclaimed Cinemaware games that are being freely distributed by the legal copyright holders, and every one of us will be buying our kickstart roms legally from Clanto.  This means that Amiga will actually get paid for the bulk of the MiniMigs sold.

In all reality, I expect that there would be very little piracy of Kickstarts, as I would guess that most of the people that would bother to buy an actually MiniMig would also be willing to buy Amiga Forever.  Those that want an Amiga for free will just emulate on there PC.

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
I stand by my statement..about China..

I havent bought a thing from China in about 10years perhaps longer and I dont plan on starting now. Even if it is an Amiga or MiniMig..

I know all about  manufacturing/labor etc...
I deal with a local( about 1/2 from where I live in NY) CB manufacturer..and have not felt the need or desire to outsource any of my work.
Or I will do it myself, cuz I can :-)

Peace

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
little wrote:

since AMD makes Intel x86 chips and how Intel makes AMD x86-64 compatible chips.

Intel and AMD have a patent exchange - Intel gets AMD64, AMD gets SSE.

Minimig is perfectly legal if you happen to own a dead A500 in the basement (or at least a ROM). Depends on the Kickstart version of course.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
I have little need for another A500, but i'd still take a Minimig if the price is right. Keep us all informed.  :-)
Falling into a dark and red rage.

If you're interested in a fully popluated board Please private message me your email, or if you don't want to give out that info just let me know that you're interested.

If this ever goes past cost stages I would need to follow up in an organized fashion. Heck even if I ever got samples I'd offer Dennis and you guys first dibs on them.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Vlabguy1 wrote:
I stand by my statement..about China..

I havent bought a thing from China in about 10years perhaps longer and I dont plan on starting now. Even if it is an Amiga or MiniMig..

I'd personally like to know how you managed that.  I have seen recent reports of people deliberately trying to avoid China-made products and finding that it is virtually impossible.  So, if you wouldn't mind backing up your claim, I'd like to see it in another forum.  Perhaps your experience can enlighten, educate, and encourage others to do the same.

Tripitaka wrote:
I have little need for another A500, but i'd still take a Minimig if the price is right. Keep us all informed.  :-)

I think it's worth it just to play those games on a modern montior VGA lcd or hdtv style monitor. I spent $80 for a used flicker fixer and $150 for an external scan doubler. Ouch.

And it's portable.
  :-P

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
Re: Contaced a Factory in China about producing a run of fully populated Mini-migs
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 23, 2007, 12:06:48 AM »

Crom00 wrote:
power supply or abs plastic case.

I think power supply and plastic case is something most users can provide easily. A populated SMD board is however the key.

Crom00 wrote:
Imainge a container loaded with Min-Migs held at customs because of a lawsuit. Ugghhh...

One could setup operations outside of jurisdiction where Amiga Inc wants to sue. Or simple just put pressure directly on Amiga Inc directly to not persue.

Piru wrote:
@amigadave
Interestingly Mattel sorry for 'design flaws'

Ofcourse they are sorry. They want to continue business with China :-D ,That excuse just smells political pressure all the way.

@little:

No you don't, I remember someone hacked an USB port into his (unaccelerated) A1200 and it worked albeit it did not reached the maximum USB 1.1 speeds, but IDE would be just as slow.

How will a game for A500 OCS that expect say an Amiga keyboard, and not an usb one interface?, Some hardware will have to translate, and the m68k will be 100% busy with the game software.