Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old school user  (Read 2406 times)

Description:

Offline Papa6Topic starter

• Show only replies by Papa6
Old school user
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:51:12 AM »
My experience goes before the release of the Amiga 500. I owned a C16 & 64. but I used APPLE systems of the early 80's. I was stationed in Germany 1989-1991, the end of the cold war period. I bought an Amiga 500 off of someone in my unit and I was tinkering with Amiga Basic as well. I used my Amiga 500 to do some community college level basic programming. but the school used the Qbasic language and it basically is the same as AmigaBasic. But now, Amiga's system of basic programming gave way to the OO Programming languages.

I'd like to see the OS, despite any heartburn, get a version for running natively on x86_64 hardware. I wouldn't mind being able to boot from a Native amiga partition when I get bored with Windows, which happens frequently. I understand some are probably calling me blasphemous for such a request. But I liked the Amiga OS for many years. It's too bad Commodore died off. I liked their desire to be their own thing. They spawned all the old school PC clubs and gamer clubs as well.

nice to meet you all.

-P6, Chris

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Old school user
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:02:54 AM »
AmigaOS is closed source and current versions are for PowerPC.  For something that runs natively on x86_64 that is source code compatible with older versions of AmigaOS, check out the 64 bit version of AROS at AROS.org as an open source alternative.

Offline Papa6Topic starter

• Show only replies by Papa6
Re: Old school user
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:55:33 AM »
I understand thanks.