Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tower 57, pixel art Chaos Engine homage, coming to OS4, MorphOS, AROS  (Read 1329 times)

Description:

Offline klx300rTopic starter

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
for those following this game project there was a great update today!
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: Tower 57, pixel art Chaos Engine homage, coming to OS4, MorphOS, AROS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 05:16:08 PM »
@klx300r

woo-hoo!! i am so excited about this game, and really hope i can be playing it on my X5K soon, maybe even this year.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »
@ eliyahu

:hammer: now that online multiplayer is happening thanks to the support from 11 Bit Studios I can see some hectic gaming between Amigans happening:pint:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;812608
@klx300r

woo-hoo!! i am so excited about this game, and really hope i can be playing it on my X5K soon, maybe even this year.

-- eliyahu

Maybe in two weeks! Yay!
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 10:08:29 PM »
2 weeks?! I know that that's meant as an Amigan in-joke but all I've  taken from this is the game has been delayed for maybe a year! Good for  the general public but bad for backers.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:47:27 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;812631
2 weeks?! I know that that's meant as an Amigan in-joke but all I've  taken from this is the game has been delayed for maybe a year! Good for  the general public but bad for backers.

actually it's the opposite for backers because now we're getting online multiplayer which wasn't on the cards after the kickstarter since the goal wasn't reached at that time

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:35:19 AM »
People like the Chaos Engine's single player game and Chaos Engine 2 is not fondly remembered despite having a good 2-player based game. Those of us who backed early basically invested in an early concept so that they could leverage a publishing deal! I'm happy for them but feel a whole year delay is hard to swallow.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 11:58:20 PM »
@thread

another update from pixwerk, this time actually showing that tower 57 development on the amiga has commenced. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 02:47:37 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;812651
People like the Chaos Engine's single player game and Chaos Engine 2 is not fondly remembered despite having a good 2-player based game. Those of us who backed early basically invested in an early concept so that they could leverage a publishing deal! I'm happy for them but feel a whole year delay is hard to swallow.

Delay would suggest a timeframe. None was given. Its not delayed, software development just takes time.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:59:25 AM »
Quote from: eliyahu;816367
@thread

another update from pixwerk, this time actually showing that tower 57 development on the amiga has commenced. :)

-- eliyahu

So as I was reading that update earlier today, I was thinking "wait, they said they were going to release this for the 'ng' Amiga platforms... but then why was that article talking about "blitting code"  Am I wrong in thinking most of the modern display drivers and such wouldn't need that low level of coding, and indeed maybe they're talking about a port to OS3.9?  Granted, that's probably completely just wishful thinking, I actually backed these guys because they were willing to back ANY Amiga platform, but the only OS4 system I have is FS-UAE (which somehow I can't find my setup, and I have to do it over again) and I guess I could install AROS somewhere, and I even hoped I could install MorphOS on this iMac that landed in my possession, but it has an nVidia chip in it, so no can do there...

But hey, it has a Linux port, so I can always play it there.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
Any system needs blitting code, be it an NG amiga-oid system, windows, Mac, Dreamcast, Linux, whatever.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »
Yes, but if you look at those screenshots, it looks more like something the Amiga would do if you were trying to create graphics on AGA.  Any of the other systems would be pretty much the same, wouldn't they?  

They pretty much all use Radeons (except for AROS which can run on anything) and most of the driver is probably written around the same open source stuff from Linux, right?  

Anyhow, I know it's wishful thinking, from what I've seen of the particles and such on screen in their initial demos, unless they cut all of that out, an older 68k system wouldn't be able to handle it.

Now if only MorphOS would add nVidia 5200 support so I would have a use for this iMac sitting here...
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Daytona675x

• Show only replies by Daytona675x
    • http://www.goldencode.de
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 02:04:25 PM »
@slaapliedje
but then why was that article talking about "blitting code" Am I wrong in thinking most of the modern display drivers and such wouldn't need that low level of coding, and indeed maybe they're talking about a port to OS3.9?
The thing is: the PC version uses hw accelerated rendering in a way that doesn't work on most NG Amiga systems. Among other things it uses a giant 8192 x 8192 texture atlas internally, which is a size that's not even remotely possible on many of our systems. Besides that the high amount of texture data itself already exceeds the VRAM of many NG Amiga systems.
Therefore I had no choice but to write a software renderer as a replacement. Under the hood that one consists out of lots of blitting functions, each one specialized and highly optimized for the respective task, depending on drawing mode.
All in all I'm happy to say that this software renderer is actually much faster than the hw-accelerated rendering would have been (I also have a win32 build of the game that uses an Intel version of that renderer - and it runs faster with that than with the original rendering ;) ).

I know it's wishful thinking, from what I've seen of the particles and such on screen in their initial demos, unless they cut all of that out, an older 68k system wouldn't be able to handle it.
It's impossible. I'm not saying that it is impossible to write such a game for 68k, of course it is possible (well, of course not nearly in that quality, but you know what I mean, sth. like a Chaos Engine enhanced).
But this game here has not been designed with low-end systems in mind. The unmodified original game logic ran with less than 9 fps on a sam460. It has been designed with current PCs as target systems in mind, highly trading performance for engine flexibility. Had to do lots of modifications to the original code until it ran decently with around 30 fps on a sam460 (and with some additional tweaks also on a sam440) - and I'm not done here. Once the PC version is complete I'll give it yet another big optimization run. Right now I'm pausing to let the Pixwerks guys finish their job first though. I will have to dig really deep and mess around with the source to a much higher degree compared to what I did until now and that would conflict too much with the Pixwerk's guys job to actually finish the game itself. And of course it's best to do such fat optimizations once everything is done.

@klx300r
actually it's the opposite for backers because now we're getting online multiplayer which wasn't on the cards after the kickstarter since the goal wasn't reached at that time
Unfortunately online multiplayer on NG-Amigas won't happen, because a "black-boxed" commercial network gaming library has been chosen for that task.
In theory I could write a networking system myself, but sorry, no. This would also require a server to be set up, of course it would be incompatible to the other versions of the game, etc. And I really already spent much much much more time (and still have to) with that port than anticipated, due to the facts mentioned above.

For those who don't follow the progress reports on facebook, here's my youtube channel where I post progress videos from time to time:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Daytona675x
AmigaOS 4.1 FE (sam440ep, sam460ex, X5000, Tabor,  R200 / RadeonHD), MorphOS 3.9 (PowerMac G4 733MHz R200), AROS (x86), A1200 (060 80MHz Indivision MK2), A600 Vampire2 / Furia, A500, CDTV
[Dev Videos][Facebook][Old Wings Development Diary]

Offline pVC

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
Quote from: Daytona675x;822827
Unfortunately online multiplayer on NG-Amigas won't happen, because a "black-boxed" commercial network gaming library has been chosen for that task.
In theory I could write a networking system myself, but sorry, no. This would also require a server to be set up, of course it would be incompatible to the other versions of the game, etc. And I really already spent much much much more time (and still have to) with that port than anticipated, due to the facts mentioned above.

Maybe you should stay away from this kind of porting crap when you get your hands clean of these couple of ports you've promised into :) How many original games you'd be able to produce in the time used to these :) Those "modern" coders just don't have a clue what's reasonable...
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
Quote from: Daytona675x;822827
@klx300r

For those who don't follow the progress reports on facebook, here's my youtube channel where I post progress videos from time to time:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Daytona675x

hey would have been great but honestly I'm just sooo happy and very appreciative you're bring this awesome game to may favourite OS ! thanks again for the honest explanations and updates and especially the hard work!
I'll be sending you a donation to at least buy you some coffees/beer for your efforts and I hope many Amiga users will do the same:)