Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga One or Pegasos?  (Read 9155 times)

Description:

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
Re: Amiga One or Pegasos?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 02:37:46 PM »
Ive orderderd an amigaone . Pegasos looks good but it has a smaller chance of making it.
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2003, 02:49:25 PM »
The Pegasos is the best solution by far.
It's a custom-designed computer made by experts in the Amiga hardware field (ex-Phase5 people) whereas the AmigaOne is a Generic, off-the-shelf POP board.  

Also MorphOS is in a much more advanced state - it's actually here, now - people are using it.  OS4, though, doesn't exist as an OS (just modules which are being tested on 68k machines) and nobody knows how long it will take to complete.  Pegasos also has the benefit of firewire as standard.

Also, Genesi (the company making Pegasos) is very community-oriented and keep people informed on current developments, sponsors shows, offers large discounts on Pegasos boards to developers, and are generally very helpful and friendly.

Amiga Inc are the exact opposite as they tell lies and don't communicate and even stole money from Amiga users through their coupon scheme (If you don't know about this scheme, then back in July last year Amiga Inc ran a promotion whereby you paid $50 to get a $50 coupon for discount on AmigaOne, a T-Shirt, and entitlement to special discounts on future Amiga products.  A lot of people (including me) paid their $50 and have still recieved nothing 8 months later).

So, there's the facts - it's up to you to decide which one you want  :-)

Offline PulsatingQuasar

• Show only replies by PulsatingQuasar
    • http://none
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2003, 02:50:45 PM »
AmigaOne!!!

I ordered the AmigaOne G4-XE. Probably will take some time but OS 4 also.

I don't mind though. It's gonna be great when it all is ready.  ;-)
BlizzardPPC powered!!
AmigaOne-XE G3 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, OS4

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2003, 02:54:50 PM »
Thats strange, Pegasos is a POP based board using much the same
chipset as the A1 . By reading that you'd get the impression that it
was made by master craftsmen or something and didn't use off the shelf
parts itself.

I don't think the rest of the flamebait should be taken as "facts" either. Why
does someone always have to do this?

@ole etc.
OK so that was innacurate. Apologies. OK so the Pegasos has an
AGP slot - is it *working*? ( yes/no - no flaming needed ).
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Spidey

• Show only replies by Spidey
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2003, 03:02:28 PM »
Hello DaveP,

...and doesn't have AGP and is sans a PCI slot...
Did I misread the stuff about this in the Announcement concerning the Genesi/Phoenix collaboration news item? :-?
downix wrote
...A few, but why do you ask as there won't be a PCI-X slot on the motherboard, just the PCI's and an AGP slot....
(the 25th comment :-))
Ok, I'm not a very technical guy (except for making my webslingers :-D), so It is possible I misread something.

To dweebgeek,

I just bought a Pegasos and my personal advice to you is:
When you are willing to wait for OS4 (yes, the software), then wait for it because it will be worth the wait!
When you want to do something Amiga-ish as soon as possible, then look for a Pegasos with MorphOS.
As known to a lot of people, with this you can run Amiga software recent software, but the future direction will not be the same as OS4 (well, I didn't read anything solid in this direction)

Oh, ofcourse you can buy a peecee or Mac and go on emulating an Amiga?? :-)

Spidey

Offline Darth_X

• Show only replies by Darth_X
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2003, 03:04:52 PM »
I am a developer and a member of the Phoenix Developer Consortium.  I would happily support any OS and Platform, including AmigaOS4 and MorphOS, if it is viable for me to do so.

I too am waiting to see the AmigaONE platform running AmigaOS4. I heard a rumour that there is going to be some kind of demo of it lauched this month. I have heard rumour that AmigaOS4 is similar to MAC OSX.

However, I am concerned about the missing features (see my signature) and the lack of answers from either AmigaInc or Hyperion regarding this.

(By the way, does anyone know who is developing the web browser for AmigaOS4?)

I am taking advantage of the $299 Pegasos offer for developers and hopefully will be getting a Pegasos motherboard in in a few weeks.

Once I get my Pegasos board I will be showing it to other developers in the area of Vancouver Island, Canada. Quite possibly the Vancouver area too.

Anyone who is in Canada and is interested in checking out the Pegasos, please email or pmail me here.

Pegasos II when development is completed and into production.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2003, 03:10:42 PM »

I have heard rumour that AmigaOS4 is similar to MAC OSX.

Huh? In what way 'similar' its based on AmigaOS, not BSD :-D

However, I am concerned about the missing features (see my signature)

TBH, i see neither of those two things as all that important for me.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline DaveP

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2003, 03:20:46 PM »
@spidey

You tell me. I don't own or have ever touched one of those boards.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2003, 03:23:22 PM »
Hey, does OS4 have PPC TCP/IP stack now? ;)
If it does it is probably in beta stage :)

Bad thing to mention, iti. ;-) OS4 will have a complete and fully functional TCP/IP stack called RoadShow, afaik done by Olaf Barthel, not a name you associate with dodgy software. I think it'll probably be more complete than OS4 when it arrives...

As for MOS...it's has no standard TCP/IP stack yet. See what I mean when I said bad thing to mention? ;-)

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2003, 03:28:59 PM »
@Darth_X:

However, I am concerned about the missing features (see my signature) and the lack of answers from either AmigaInc or Hyperion regarding this.

[...]

What is missing from AmigaOS4:
1.. ACM (Amiga Component Model)
2.. An advanced Amiga Audio API

These were never promised for AmigaOS4, they were promised for AmigaDE. Post a link where somebody promised them for OS4, or remoe the signature ;-)

(By the way, does anyone know who is developing the web browser for AmigaOS4?)

The IBrowse team of course.

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2003, 03:29:30 PM »
It's my intention to wait for the release of OS4.
Then, unless it is a complete dog purchase an A1.
If, for some reason, OS4 is a dog, I will then
look further into MOS and Pegasos.

I remain highly skeptical about the long term viability
of the MOS path. The tenacity of Hyperion under heavy
fire gives me hope that this will be a solid path
toward the future.

But then only TimeWillTell

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2003, 03:33:05 PM »
It's interesting that people are saying the AmigaOne has a better chance of success because it is an "official" Amiga product. Reputation (i.e., the name) may influence some consumers, but the name alone is not enough to make any product successful. Look at cases where a well-known brand was bought but the product didn't live up to its past standards (Fender guitars, Packard Bell, etc.). So I'm not sure how much of a factor that is outside of the already-convinced fans.

As far as corporate prospects are concerned, if you're concerned about future stability, Genesi is certainly in much better shape than Amiga, Inc. and Hyperion. They have income sources in other industries (airline security, as I understand it), and their product line looks like it could be pretty diverse. Watching how Bill Buck has money to throw at promotion and so on, it's hard to argue on this one.

As for the products themselves, it's impossible to say at this point. Everything is either unfinished or still in/just out of beta. I've never seen a Pegasos board up close, but people who have say it's a work of art. The pictures on the web give some hints of this. I'm sure once the bugs are wrung out, both boards will run pretty much any software available as fast and smooth as people need. Well, there've been comments about how this thing or that is broken, but most people won't push their boards hard enough to notice, from what I hear.

It'll be interesting to see what the Pegasos II is like, since it won't be using the Articia chip any more. I imagine there'll be more divergence as time goes on.

The question in my mind is what the next step is, software-wise. OK, both boards/OSs can run older Amiga apps in a kind of run-time environment. But how will native PPC software come along for each platform? Here Amiga has history on its side, but Genesi is much more proactive about getting developers on board, supporting user groups, and so on. So it'll be very interesting once people have these computers and start producing software for them.

It's interesting that a lot of Amigans, who generally think of themselves as independent thinkers, are now putting down these other "rebels" who've started up their own thing without the official blessing. I don't see much free thinking when people are definite about a product choice when they haven't even had their hands on either option.

-- gary_c

Offline Lando

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2003, 03:35:15 PM »

DaveP wrote:
Thats strange, Pegasos is a POP based board using much the same
chipset as the A1 . By reading that you'd get the impression that it
was made by master craftsmen or something and didn't use off the shelf
parts itself.

I don't think the rest of the flamebait should be taken as "facts" either. Why
does someone always have to do this?

Perhaps you can point out which parts of what I said weren't "facts" as, having re-read it several times, I have yet to spot any.

Thanks in advance

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2003, 03:37:19 PM »
Hey Spidey, Nice Avvy !!

I was gonna correct DaveP's assertion about the PCI slot on the AGP bus, but Ole has already done that. clarification - its a bandwidth issue only. the AGP port is essentially PCI, but with various signals removed as you only get one per machine. and since a bus like that can only run at the speed of its slowest part, if you use a 33MHz PCI card in that but it will slow down the AGP to 33MHz (note: AGP 1x is effectively twice as fast as PCI 33MHz - I think this is down to it using falling edges on the clock signal as well as the rising ones. AGP 2x is clocked twice as fast, hence the PCI slot sharing the bus is capable of 66MHz !! Makes sense, just dunno if I am accurate)

This also means if you use something heavy duty in that PCI slot, you will lose AGP performance. so Ole, if your soundcard is 66MHz capable on the PCI side, you should suffer no Graphics performance loss.  :-P
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline DaveP

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2003, 03:38:09 PM »

Lando wrote:
The Pegasos is the best solution by far.
It's a custom-designed computer made by experts in the Amiga hardware field (ex-Phase5 people) whereas the AmigaOne is a Generic, off-the-shelf POP board.  

Also MorphOS is in a much more advanced state - it's actually here, now - people are using it.  OS4, though, doesn't exist as an OS (just modules which are being tested on 68k machines) and nobody knows how long it will take to complete.  Pegasos also has the benefit of firewire as standard.

Also, Genesi (the company making Pegasos) is very community-oriented and keep people informed on current developments, sponsors shows, offers large discounts on Pegasos boards to developers, and are generally very helpful and friendly.

Amiga Inc are the exact opposite as they tell lies and don't communicate and even stole money from Amiga users through their coupon scheme (If you don't know about this scheme, then back in July last year Amiga Inc ran a promotion whereby you paid $50 to get a $50 coupon for discount on AmigaOne, a T-Shirt, and entitlement to special discounts on future Amiga products.  A lot of people (including me) paid their $50 and have still recieved nothing 8 months later).

So, there's the facts - it's up to you to decide which one you want  :-)

There you go wiseguy. Last sentence. You claim they are all facts. This is
going to result in a flame war and you know it. Don't play the innocent. You want
to do this , the place for you is : Flame War Network

Offline Lando

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 06, 2003, 03:59:15 PM »

There you go wiseguy. Last sentence. You claim they are all facts.

Yes.  Facts.  Thats what they are.  Like I said, If you're disputing that part of what I wrote is true, tell me which part you're referring to, and if it proves not to be a fact I will happily retract it :-)