Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS for the X1000  (Read 8987 times)

Description:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: OS for the X1000
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 11:24:57 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;653078
There is nothing awesome about this, the thing failed on planning/design stage already (that performance to that price), and actually pushing it through to a real PCB is nothing but moronic. It won't do anything at all for Amiga. It won't even do anything at all for OS4 either, other than showing the world that *if this* was what they had to offer, then there is no serious plan for OS4, no sustainable future, etc, and the people behind the OS4 project are sitting in a stasis field with tin-foil hats to shield them off from the reality the rest of the world lives in.

I am an avid MorphOS supporter and I do not agree with your statements above at all.  Yes, the AmigaOne X1000 is under powered and over priced.  That is well documented and debated and no one seems to be trying to refute that fact, but this product does help the Amiga community as a whole and specifically the OS4 group, as it is a significant step up from the SAM boards they are currently using and more than that, it is a show of determination by a few individuals, regardless of the money they may lose on their efforts.  The people that are invested in the X1000 project know that there is very little chance to recover even a fraction of the total investment to get to this point and the number of sales will likely be only in the low hundreds, not the thousands that they would need to break even.  But still they are determined to follow through and complete this project to produce the fastest and most modern AmigaOne for OS4 users and developers.

I have many disagreements with some of the aggressive and blindly faithful OS4 fanboys who spout crap and outright lies on many of the forum sites, but I do not object to the legitimate Amiga fans and users that only want to run the OS of their choice on the fastest and best hardware that they can get their hands on.  Trevor is  a great Amiga fan and a nice guy.  In my opinion, and the opinion of some others, he might have been mislead and made some choices that have not turned out to be the best for a possible financial gain, or even break even on this project, but I give him a whole lot of credit for completing it.  He wanted the best AmigaOne OS4 machine he could get and has persevered to the end regardless of what it is going to cost him, or all the negative comments from the many naysayers who have criticized his choices.  He is a true Amiga fan that took a chance and all of us on the sidelines can either criticize him or cheer him on (I have done both from time to time).

I would not buy any SAM board and most likely will not buy an X1000, but I am willing to look at what they have to offer and listen to their arguments for why they (the OS4 users and developers) think anyone should buy their systems and OS instead of the other Amiga alternatives.  If they can convince me that they have a better system, hardware, software, OS, development tools, support, etc., then someday I might switch to their side and buy an OS4 system.  Until that time, I will stick with what I now use and enjoy in while keeping an eye open to what all other alternatives are doing and also still enjoying my old Classic systems and watching what the Natami, Minimig & FPGA Arcade guys are doing.

It is a great time for Amiga users, because they have so many choices to satisfy their Amiga addiction.  Now all we need is more developers to make more and better software for all of us to use.  A key factor to this happening is cooperation between developers for cross-platform development.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 11:25:04 PM »
Takemehomegrandma

Sounds to me like you belong somewhere else, you're being immature, and lets face it, besides the cost involved, it is the closest thing we have had to real hardware.

You disagree, thats okay but you need not be a nobhead about it.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline BuzzfuzzTopic starter

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 11:27:44 PM »
I can and I know how to, I've been around for a while!

Just give me one good reason why I should spent around 1500 euro for a machine that runs OS4.2 or whatever it will be, if you can think of more than one, please, write it down here.

Quote from: billt;653077
Uhm... If you can't figure out what to do with an Amiga (or -alike, whatever) today, what are you still doing around these parts??!
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »
If you don't find it worth the asking price, don't buy one, lol.  I love my SAM and OS 4.1, but the x1000 is far out of my pricerange and wouldn't do anything my lowly SAM 440ep wouldn't do.

Offline kurkosdr

• Show only replies by kurkosdr
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;653025
(And yes, you can't run x86 Windows-binary games, but that's true of any non-x86 system. But you do have access to any of the many open-source games out there, and some mainstream game companies like iD Software even support Linux users.)
Yeah, but those ID software games are x86-only binaries, right? Like most proprietary linux software is. So you won't be able to run them in a X1000. This is the thing about Linux: It supports 96 different architectures, fridges and car stereos included, but if you go with anything other than x86, you lose whatever little proprietary software there is for Linux.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;653089
I disagree. I don't think the X1000 was aimed at revolutionizing the Amiga platform i think it is aimed at a select few people who want one to support their favorite hobby.

You're actually not disagreeing with tmhgm, you're just wording it differently.

As you say, the X1000 is aimed at a "select few people" (that are willing to pay 2000 bucks for an outdated desktop computer as long as it runs AmigaOS). How many of those people are out there? 100? 200? 300? That's not a future, that's a dead end. Not to mention that even if there would be more customers, there are no more CPUs...

As for it being a 'failure' that is a matter of opinion. With a guaranteed sales of 100% for all boards being made i would definitely call that a success.

For the manufacturer, yes. But what about OS4? How long have we been waiting for USB2 support? A decent 2D/3D graphics system? A filemanager that is not a joke? Some sort of concept for the whole desktop environment that goes beyond "let's try another icon set"? A web browser that doesn't suck?

There are lots of things in OS4 that urgently need improvements. Instead, the dev team is working on a port to some very expensive niche hardware.

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:04 PM »
Well it's price tag isn't so much the problem, I even would (dare I say it ...) sell one of my Cyberstorms to get more funds :)

Personally I think if i were to get it, I will use it maybe for a few months and after that I think it will gather dust.

Quote from: Duce;653097
If you don't find it worth the asking price, don't buy one, lol. I love my SAM and OS 4.1, but the x1000 is far out of my pricerange and wouldn't do anything my lowly SAM 440ep wouldn't do.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 11:54:35 PM »
Quote from: kurkosdr;653099
Yeah, but those ID software games are x86-only binaries, right?
Are they? I don't recall; I haven't actually kept up with commercial gaming in a while. They do release the source for previous engines when they come out with a new one, so you can run pre-iD Tech 4 (Doom 3 engine) games, at least (and IT4 is supposed to be released GPL sometime this year, I understand.) But yeah, that is a definite problem with Linux gaming...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:44 PM »
I'm a fan of anyone making a product in this market.  You have to be a die-hard fan and you can't expect to get rich.

I may not agree with the utility of a custom PPC that isn't significantly cheaper than a used Mac, but I don't hate it.

I just hope that the availability of the X1000 and SAM aren't the lynchpins that are keeping AOS on PPC.  That boat sailed and sank long ago.  We either need affordable PPC's or a different CPU to target.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »
Quote from: Duce;653097
If you don't find it worth the asking price, don't buy one, lol.  I love my SAM and OS 4.1, but the x1000 is far out of my pricerange and wouldn't do anything my lowly SAM 440ep wouldn't do.

For the sake of the X1000 buyers and Trevor, I hope that the X1000 can do many things that your SAM 440EP can't do!
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »
My SAM is more than powerful enough.  The problem is and always will be software to run on said systems.

They aren't too terribly friendly to legacy amiga progs without emulation.  There's no real modern browser, etc.  I could no more use the X1000 as a daily driver PC than I can my SAM.  Can't even navigate modern websites with the thing, for the most part.  I love it for what it is, a niche "fun" machine.  I run an old school BBS on mine, and it does that admirably and completely silently (Patriot SSD, silent PSU).

Could be 5000ghz, 24 cores, 100 GB of RAM and sing and dance - but the software just isn't there for OS 4, lol.

Buzzfuzz:  you are very correct that many people, even myself on occasion - find said systems to just be dust collectors.  It's hard to justify expense vs. function, even for the much lower priced SAM's.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;653094
I can and I know how to, I've been around for a while!

Just give me one good reason why I should spent around 1500 euro for a machine that runs OS4.2 or whatever it will be, if you can think of more than one, please, write it down here.

My guess is if any PC or Mac fan was reading that they be asking you the very same thing, Why do you own so many outdated computers and still follow the amiga scene?

I have a PC (I actually have three PCs), I have a Game Console (PS3, PSP) and I have 3 classic Amiga's (A1200, Cd32, A1200+040+32mb+HD etc) So why do I still spend time following the Amiga scene, trying out Aros, playing old apps and games either though Amiga Forever or on my Classic Amiga, because I still have fun with it. And I would really liked to do some of the modern stuff I do on my PC on my Amiga, simple because I want to. I hope when I finally get an OS4 machine (depending on price weather I can afford a X1000 or not) I am able to use my PC just a little less and just have fun with an Amiga system again (I hope).

Its simple a hobby and fun for me to use, for me it would be a real bonus if anything came out on the new Amiga that could massively out perform the other platform, but I dout that will be the case (expect the Reset, if it still 7sceonds thats faster than my PS3 loads a game! and my guess it might be my fastest machine for getting me on the net, little things like this will make me like and use the Amiga more and more.)

Offline Fairdinkem

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;652982
Yep, and I actually enjoy tuning them, but it takes time, lots of time ;)

But while we are at it, how about this ?

Board is ready and your X1000 is ready to rock and roll, it has OS4.2 on it (that is what it seems to be getting on it) and it all runs fine.
You can internet on it, you can play audio on it, so your favorite mp3's and all things and it can even show your video's.

And then ?

It can't play modern pc games, or any other platform like Xbox or Playstation, other than Amiga Classic, it may be able to do the ported Quake and so on, but it won't play Call Of Duty or Need For Speed for example.

At most offices they use Word and Excell, so here comes an email with a word document, you may be able to read it if that exists on OS4.1, but can you also fully edit it ?
You get a PDF also, again it might be able to read it, but can you also edit it ?

Well it might not play the latest games yet but with multiple core support and Gallium being developed for AmigaOS and PCIe graphics cards the X1000 is a very positive step in the right direction.

Word, Excel and PDF documents have been viewable and editable in AmigaOS for quite some time, also not to mention Trevor Dickinson is funding the AmigaOS port of openoffice light which is a little while off completion but will eventuate.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:45:04 AM by Fairdinkem »

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;653100
You're actually not disagreeing with tmhgm, you're just wording it differently.

As you say, the X1000 is aimed at a "select few people" (that are willing to pay 2000 bucks for an outdated desktop computer as long as it runs AmigaOS). How many of those people are out there? 100? 200? 300? That's not a future, that's a dead end. Not to mention that even if there would be more customers, there are no more CPUs...

Rogue has stated on Amigaworld.net that there will be a follow-up CPU after the PA-Semi one: http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32910&forum=33&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0#593794

For the manufacturer, yes. But what about OS4? How long have we been waiting for USB2 support? A decent 2D/3D graphics system? A filemanager that is not a joke? Some sort of concept for the whole desktop environment that goes beyond "let's try another icon set"? A web browser that doesn't suck?

There are lots of things in OS4 that urgently need improvements. Instead, the dev team is working on a port to some very expensive niche hardware.

They are not working on the port *instead* on working on the other, urgent features: USB2 support has been included in the incoming Update 3, the 2d/3d is being worked on (http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=290), and work on Timberwolf and OWB-MUI is also proceeding.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Because, just like you I like to play games on my real Amiga's, and I like to mess around with hardware but that's it.
We also have annual meetings here, so my Amiga's are also shown out there.

But anything other than that, so internet and present games, my PC takes on that, and with a high end machine, it won't be a problem either :)

Quote from: AmigaNG;653184
My guess is if any PC or Mac fan was reading that they be asking you the very same thing, Why do you own so many outdated computers and still follow the amiga scene?

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 05, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
Quote from: Varthall;653200
Rogue has stated on Amigaworld.net that there will be a follow-up CPU after the PA-Semi one

Read it again - he's not stating anything, he's asking a question to shut somebody up. Doesn't mean anything.

My last information was that Trevor Dickinson himself doesn't have a clue what the next step - if any - wil be after the x1000. Perhaps Rogue simply didn't tell him yet ;)

They are not working on the port *instead* on working on the other, urgent features:

I could argue your points (USB real soon now? honestly?) or make a 2nd and 3rd list with severe shortcomings in OS4. But I won't, because I actually like the product and don't want to end up bashing it. You're using it yourself, I guess you have a pretty good idea about the most urgent problems.

Are you really claiming the OS4 team doesn't lack manpower? That it could easily compensate the loss of the dozen or so skilled and experienced developers who lost interest since the project was started and start porting the OS to a hardware that's going to sell (a lot) less copies than the classic version?