Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mega lo Mania  (Read 4918 times)

Description:

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Mega lo Mania
« on: April 18, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »
Though I'd fire this game up a quick blast... but managed to finish it in a few hours... I don't know, I must have been retarded as a child, I'm sure it took me ages to complete... Anyway, what's the deal with the last island? It's pointlessly easy, the "mother of all battles"? I think not... :-/

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: Mega lo Mania
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
I have never played this game, though I'm aware it is somewhat of a classic. Is it worth having a go at? Maybe it could be a good tonsillitis distraction :-(

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:57:21 AM »

motorollin wrote:
I have never played this game, though I'm aware it is somewhat of a classic. Is it worth having a go at? Maybe it could be a good tonsillitis distraction :-(

I still think it's the best game of all time... except the last island ;-)

Offline motorollin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:06:51 AM »
Hmm might give it a go. And a bit of Populous II while I'm at it ;-) I'm actually crap at computer games, so it should take me at least 10 years to complete it. I think Putty is the only game I have *ever* completed!

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »

motorollin wrote:
Hmm might give it a go. And a bit of Populous II while I'm at it ;-) I'm actually crap at computer games, so it should take me at least 10 years to complete it. I think Putty is the only game I have *ever* completed!

--
moto

I wish there was a network multiplayer version of MegaloMania...

Offline motorollin

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »
There must be a remake or clone with online capabilities. Just found Gigalomania which is an open source remake. It even uses the original game data files so looks exactly like the Amiga version! I nominate you to add online multiplayer support and port it to the Mac ;-)

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

motorollin wrote:
There must be a remake or clone with online capabilities. Just found Gigalomania which is an open source remake. It even uses the original game data files so looks exactly like the Amiga version! I nominate you to add online multiplayer support and port it to the Mac ;-)

I probably won't surprise you to learn that I've already had a look at that clone :-D

I've had a quick play with the code, but I don't have enough time to make it compile for the Mac... adding network multiplayer probably wouldn't be too much of a problem though...

I did try and clone it about 10 years ago on my miggy, I wanted to write a system friendly version, like this clone, I used to original data files. But I got bogged down with the AI... I really could't figure out how to make it work... so I opted for a multiplayer idea, i.e. not needing any AI at all! but I had no idea how to network on my amiga... life is much easier now with SDL...

Offline motorollin

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »
bloodline wrote:
I've had a quick play with the code, but I don't have enough time to make it compile for the Mac... adding network multiplayer probably wouldn't be too much of a problem though...

Do it, do it, do it!

It would probably play pretty well in Parallels. So a multiplayer version would still be possible on a Mac!

bloodline wrote:
I did try and clone it about 10 years ago on my miggy, I wanted to write a system friendly version, like this clone, I used to original data files. But I got bogged down with the AI... I really could't figure out how to make it work... so I opted for a multiplayer idea, i.e. not needing any AI at all! but I had no idea how to network on my amiga... life is much easier now with SDL...

Yes SDL makes things really easy (not that I know what it was like before). Even I, a C++ fledgling, was able to get a beta version of a Geometry Wars clone working on the GP2X :-)

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »

motorollin wrote:
bloodline wrote:

Do it, do it, do it!

It would probably play pretty well in Parallels. So a multiplayer version would still be possible on a Mac!

My coding is so rusty, it would take me ages to figure out the Gigalomania code... I'd probably just find the floppy with my clone code on it, and then rewrite it in JavaScript... If I seriously had the time to mess around...

bloodline wrote:

Yes SDL makes things really easy (not that I know what it was like before). Even I, a C++ fledgling, was able to get a beta version of a Geometry Wars clone working on the GP2X :-)

Quite! I'm a huge fan of SDL.

Offline Xamiche

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:25:48 AM »
Mega-Lo-Mania is one of my all time favourite games. Though I do agree, the final battle is pretty weak. I expected this epic, hardcore battle but it just turned out to be a numbers thing. Have the most troops ~ win.

It would be very cool to see a sequel or revamped version of it with multi-player.
A500, A600, A1200, A2000, A4000D, A4000T, CD32

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 11:31:15 AM »

Xamiche wrote:
Mega-Lo-Mania is one of my all time favourite games. Though I do agree, the final battle is pretty weak. I expected this epic, hardcore battle but it just turned out to be a numbers thing. Have the most troops ~ win.

It's not even that complex... after completing the 10 levels... you get rather skilled at building up numbers without a large starting number...

Perhaps it was supposed to be an ironic anti war ending?

It would be very cool to see a sequel or revamped version of it with multi-player.

Yes... maybe even a 3D version! :-)

Offline Xamiche

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »

bloodline wrote:
Yes... maybe even a 3D version! :-)

Now that would be something.  :eureka:

Offline spirantho

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
Doesn't Mega-lo-Mania have a time-control function though?  I seem to recall you spent a lot of time on max-speed while you made weapons etc., and the engine slowed down when you were attacked - hopefully!

How would you put this into a multiplayer version?
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 12:34:40 PM »

spirantho wrote:
Doesn't Mega-lo-Mania have a time-control function though?  I seem to recall you spent a lot of time on max-speed while you made weapons etc., and the engine slowed down when you were attacked - hopefully!

I never ran it at any other speed than full speed... there was never any need to use the slow function at all...

Offline Xamiche

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »

bloodline wrote:

spirantho wrote:

I never ran it at any other speed than full speed... there was never any need to use the slow function at all...

I used the speed-up/slow-down function all the time. I tend to check, re-check, double-check and check again for good measure, all of my research and resource allocations. Without the ability to slow down, I'd never have reached the end of the game.

But if it were multi-player, both players would have the same advantages and disadvantages, so it wouldn't really need a time dilation function I think.