Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fairy Tale Adventure  (Read 5759 times)

Description:

Offline Mike_UKTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mike_UK
Re: Fairy Tale Adventure
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 06:04:48 PM »
Cheers..Cool site...and Nice Tatoo by the way.. :-o
Nice to know someone else into amiga's not to far from home!
just the A1000 left! and up for sale...email!

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 06:50:12 PM »
I think I remember this game. Was it the one where you were on a quest to find a magical talisman or something?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline JLF65

• Show only replies by JLF65
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 06:36:53 AM »
There are a number of things you need to do, but the ultimate goal is to save the Princess. I got it when it first came out to play on my A500. It was awesome. My brother and I hacked the heck out of that game. I've still got an AmigaBasic save file editor on a disk somewhere. We also made maps of the continent, indoor areas, and underground areas using the data from the game. We also made a table of where all the magic circles take you. That table is VERY handy for getting around.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 02:00:06 PM »
WOW sounds like you played the game to death and back again! :lol:
I'm still at the beginging as I can't get any time to myself! lol
Will have to make time ASAP!

Offline JLF65

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 05:39:52 AM »
Yeah, I spent many fun hours playing it. The best advice I give folks is build your bravery before venturing out. Stay close to home, lure some bad guys into the town, kill them, go inside, then come out and kill them again. Repeat until they finally all get away, then lure some more in. Repeat until you have enough bravery to win your fights without much trouble. Then head south to the graveyard.

I'd really love to see a 3D version of The Faery Tale Adventure. That would be really cool. I saw that screenshot of the mod for Neverwinter Night. Looked interesting. Anyone have more info on that?

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 07:39:26 AM »
The best advice I give folks is build your bravery before venturing out.

I've learned best way to build bravery is to head to the cemetary right away (after getting the hidden stuff in town of course). Stay inside the cemetary fence at the top by the gate. Once you kill one guy who has a sword or mace, you'll be able to stab them through the fence with it without getting hurt. Don't go too far from the entrance or you won't be able to search their bodies after killing them (bodies disappear if you move too far away). After you've killed about 30 guys, you'll be ready to leave the cemetary and kick some ass.

I'd really love to see a 3D version of The Faery Tale Adventure.

In Peter McGavin's Faery Tale HD patch readme, he mentions something about something about a Faery Tale sequel in development, but the link in the readme doesn't work anymore. I guess the development was cancelled.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 07:56:48 AM »

mr_a500 wrote:
The best advice I give folks is build your bravery before venturing out.

I've learned best way to build bravery is to head to the cemetary right away (after getting the hidden stuff in town of course). Stay inside the cemetary fence at the top by the gate. Once you kill one guy who has a sword or mace, you'll be able to stab them through the fence with it without getting hurt. Don't go too far from the entrance or you won't be able to search their bodies after killing them (bodies disappear if you move too far away). After you've killed about 30 guys, you'll be ready to leave the cemetary and kick some ass.

I'd really love to see a 3D version of The Faery Tale Adventure.

In Peter McGavin's Faery Tale HD patch readme, he mentions something about something about a Faery Tale sequel in development, but the link in the readme doesn't work anymore. I guess the development was cancelled.

There is some trick too about keys, which comes in handy in the underground mazes. Something like pause, then multiple takes.

There was a Faery 2, halls of the dead, i never saw it though.

Ive been wanting to do a 3d port of faery tale, thats what got me started extracting the map, got that down. Still havent gotten the tile graphics out though. OpenGL ive found is frustrating. Ive finally gotten to the point where i can draw triangles and stuff. Theres a ton i have to learn.

Id like to get to the point where i can take the mapdata, draw the landscape as flat surface, draw the mountains and stuff with simple poygons, etc, and use 2d bitmaps in the scene for the characters and plants and rocks and stuff. Somthing pretty simple on a wolf3d/doom level would still be pretty cool, and hopefully not to terribly hard to code.

Projects like these never get done. I saw a pretty good port of ultima underworld stygian abyss but it's like 95% done, and been at that level for years(to be fair, the guys did a wonderful job though)

The game sure was mezmorising though. I'll never forget the sounds the disk drive made in the different parts of the game. 20 years later and i still cant get the daytime sound track out of my head.

Ive beat the game in UAE, and the scrolling is btter in UAE and much less disk lag. Emulation is perfect as far as i can tell. It's not much fun on the a1000 anymore, guess i'm ruined.

Offline JLF65

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 06:30:03 PM »
Just a few notes from my brother about the data layout:

The outside map is at 0x14000 and is 128x128 bytes. Each byte defines one of 256 blocks.

The inside map is at 0x18000 and is 128x32 bytes.

The definition of the outside blocks starts at 0x4000 and is 256 blocks of 16x8 bytes. Each byte selects a graphics set.

The definition of the inside blocks starts at 0xc000 and is 256 blocks of 16x8 bytes.

The graphics sets are 64 blocks of 5 bitplanes of 16bits wide by 32 lines tall. Graphics set code bytes are broken into four ranges: I = 0 to 63, II = 64 to 127, III = 128 to 191, and IV = 192 to 255.

If you plug in the above values, you find the world map is 32768 pixels by 32768 lines!

The various graphics sets are:

0x19000 - graphics set A (IV) = southeast mountains
0x1e000 - graphics set B (III) = graveyard area
0x23000 - graphics set C (II) = Marheim/Castle tiles
0x28000 - graphics set D (I) = basic terrain
0x2d000 - graphics set E (II) = basic buildings
0x32000 - graphics set F (III) = petrified forest
0x37000 - graphics set G (IV) = witch's castle
0x3c000 - graphics set H (II) = crystal palace/Azal/tombs
0x41000 - graphics set I (III) = snow/plains/misc terrain
0x46000 - graphics set J (IV) = north mountains
0x4b000 - graphics set K (IV) = southwest mountains
0x50000 - graphics set L (II) = citadel
0x55000 - graphics set M (I) = dungeon walls
0x5a000 - graphics set N (II) = basic indoors
0x5f000 - graphics set O (II) = caves
0x64000 - graphics set P (III) = castle/inn
0x69000 - graphics set Q (IV) = misc tiles

Using this info, you can render the nice maps you see around the net.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 12:48:24 AM »

JLF65 wrote:
Just a few notes from my brother about the data layout:

The outside map is at 0x14000 and is 128x128 bytes. Each byte defines one of 256 blocks.

The inside map is at 0x18000 and is 128x32 bytes.

The definition of the outside blocks starts at 0x4000 and is 256 blocks of 16x8 bytes. Each byte selects a graphics set.

The definition of the inside blocks starts at 0xc000 and is 256 blocks of 16x8 bytes.

The graphics sets are 64 blocks of 5 bitplanes of 16bits wide by 32 lines tall. Graphics set code bytes are broken into four ranges: I = 0 to 63, II = 64 to 127, III = 128 to 191, and IV = 192 to 255.

If you plug in the above values, you find the world map is 32768 pixels by 32768 lines!

The various graphics sets are:

0x19000 - graphics set A (IV) = southeast mountains
0x1e000 - graphics set B (III) = graveyard area
0x23000 - graphics set C (II) = Marheim/Castle tiles
0x28000 - graphics set D (I) = basic terrain
0x2d000 - graphics set E (II) = basic buildings
0x32000 - graphics set F (III) = petrified forest
0x37000 - graphics set G (IV) = witch's castle
0x3c000 - graphics set H (II) = crystal palace/Azal/tombs
0x41000 - graphics set I (III) = snow/plains/misc terrain
0x46000 - graphics set J (IV) = north mountains
0x4b000 - graphics set K (IV) = southwest mountains
0x50000 - graphics set L (II) = citadel
0x55000 - graphics set M (I) = dungeon walls
0x5a000 - graphics set N (II) = basic indoors
0x5f000 - graphics set O (II) = caves
0x64000 - graphics set P (III) = castle/inn
0x69000 - graphics set Q (IV) = misc tiles

Using this info, you can render the nice maps you see around the net.

Insane! Thanks man, that covers loads of ground work. Farthest i got was the offset to the start location outside, and that each tile was one byte. I then i modified the map a million times to figure out what each tiles # was.

Offline x_to79

• Show only replies by x_to79
    • http://hol.abime.net
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 04:31:43 PM »
thanks JLF65 for the great infos... :-)

but i´ve got some troubles...there are 17 different tilesets but only 4 will be used at the same time..

how did we know which tileset is currently used..??

and:

imagine you would create a BMP with the sizes 32768 * 32768 pixel..with a depth of 8 bit (256 colors)

you will get exacly a file with a size of 1 GByte without the fileheader...phew...really big...

does your brother already started to create the map...maybe i can help him... :roll:

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 02:39:50 AM »
"Faery Tale Adventure Floppy Label" has been up-loaded as of NOW!! :-)
This image has the "HOL Disk scan" and my "cleaned up version"
Just have to wait for it to be released to the image gallery
Enjoy!!!!!!!
 :-)  :-)  :-)  

Offline marauderII

• Show only replies by marauderII
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 11:40:35 PM »
Theres a FTA character editor on this site.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/james.jacobs/amigan.html
Thanks wwonka. I didn't try to save a character, But I tryed
the editor and it looks real nice.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 12:22:20 AM »
Theres a FTA character editor on this site.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/james.jacobs/amigan.html
Thanks wwonka. I didn't try to save a character, But I tryed the editor and it looks real nice.

Sadly, that program is written with the damn 3.5/3.9 Reaction GUI, so I can't use it. :-( This is the only program I wanted to use that requires Reaction.

I have 3.9, but hated it and went back to 3.1 - and I don't feel like reinstalling 3.9 just to use this program.

Offline JLF65

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 12:34:04 AM »

x_to79 wrote:
thanks JLF65 for the great infos... :-)

but i´ve got some troubles...there are 17 different tilesets but only 4 will be used at the same time..

how did we know which tileset is currently used..??

That wasn't in his notes. :-D  You derive it from the list and looking at the map. For example, you'll notice that basic terrain and dungeon walls are both group I tiles. They can't both be loaded at the same time. That's why the game always loads when you enter and exit the dungeon areas.

The 128x128 map is broken into equal 4x4 regions of 32x32. Each time you cross from one region to the next, the game loads the tile set needed for stuff in that region (unless it conflicts like the dungeon tile set). For example, tile set G is needed for the witch's castle, so it loads for region 3,1 where the witch's castle is. You'll notice no other group IV tile sets conflict within that region.

and:

imagine you would create a BMP with the sizes 32768 * 32768 pixel..with a depth of 8 bit (256 colors)

you will get exacly a file with a size of 1 GByte without the fileheader...phew...really big...

does your brother already started to create the map...maybe i can help him... :roll:

He has a HUGE TIFF on a disc somewhere he generated from the data. He said he'd keep an eye out for it. Some of the earlier posts in this thread give the same kind of map. You might check them.

Offline marauderII

• Show only replies by marauderII
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 02:23:47 AM »
I Can't get the FTACE (faery tale character editor) to work.
I cant find the files A.faery b.faery ect on my disk(adf)
I've loaded the game and saved in different places A,B,C ect

Help any clues.

Thanks

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 11, 2006, 05:46:30 PM »
If you really want the game spoiled for you, then check out the PDF: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22284

The game is basically done for you and you just have to go to the spots marked with an "x".

It's a great document if you've already completed the game, then forgot, but don't want to spend 2 weeks to complete it again. (like me)