Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling  (Read 9112 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
Re: Windows worldwide market share is stuck at 15% and falling
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
Ah.. The fall of Microsoft, what a beautiful dream. A world where the desktop computers are all Linux/Amiga/Risc OS niche powerstations where we can program, play and create without having to spot a single Microsoft app.
At the same time, non tech-saavy people can have their tablets and smartphones, too.

Desktop hardware prices won't skyrocket: look at the Raspberry Pi, the Cubie2 or the IFC6410 SBCs. That's where the desktop is going after the fall of the Dark Lord.
What a party I will make when Microsoft goes belly-up!

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;750805
Desktop hardware prices won't skyrocket: look at the Raspberry Pi, the Cubie2 or the IFC6410 SBCs. That's where the desktop is going after the fall of the Dark Lord.
What a party I will make when Microsoft goes belly-up!

I think some of the 80'rs 90'rs like us blame M$ for the fall of Commodore.
Another one of those myopic debates about VHS/Betamax, and VHS should be hated because video quality on Betamax was better...

for instance, what defines a "better" humanoid? How do we know if Homo-Sapiens was the "best" one?

The one who survived, maybe?
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »
Ah, btw, ask ANY hw creator out there. Maybe A-EON guys to see the price difference between making 1.000 pieces and 1.000.000 pieces of something to see if your analysis on hw prices are pointing to the right direction.
Unless, of course, we would be using desktops made with tablet chips...
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;750782
The truth is, most people use their tablet/iPad/smart phone for almost all day to day computing tasks. The desktop is becoming as much a relic as mainframes and minicomputers have now become.
Tablet evangelists keep repeating this mantra, but three years into the iPad era it's still not lining up with any reality I can see. Out of every single person I know, there is exactly one guy who uses a smartphone as his primary computing device, and that by his own admission is because he's out of work and can't afford (his words) "a real computer." He's not even a techie - nor are 90% of the other people I know. They're just normal people. Sure, many of them have iPhones and perhaps tablets, but they use them primarily as mobile browsing/email platforms, they don't try to do serious work on them, and they largely don't even use them when they're not out and about. They have PCs (or Macs) for that. And if they're normal people, what reason do I have to believe that all the other normal people walking around town jabbering into their smartphone don't have a real computer at home?

It's as gertsy says: what's selling is a vastly smaller subset of what people are using.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:24:24 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
@commodorejohn I hate to break this to you, but we don't matter... The people you know are yesterday's users. Spend some time with young people and see how they are using technology... That's the future, not those of us who sill remember 8bit games :)

I use an iPad Mini for 90% of my computing tasks now... With a 5 year old MacBook Pro for some heavy lifting, content creation work... But more and more work can be done on mobile devices now!

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;750808
I think some of the 80'rs 90'rs like us blame M$ for the fall of Commodore.
Another one of those myopic debates about VHS/Betamax, and VHS should be hated because video quality on Betamax was better...

for instance, what defines a "better" humanoid? How do we know if Homo-Sapiens was the "best" one?

The one who survived, maybe?

Hey hbarcellos, I see you have other tastes beside MSX :D Nice to see you around here, too.

No, I don't blame Microsoft for the fall of Commodore: Commodore was leeching the C64 too long and they didn't invest enough on Amiga technology, being unable to update it properly for almos 10 years. I know the story of the once mighty Commodore and I don't have any love for that company.

But Microsoft has made computing boring, ugly, soul-less, inefficient, stupid and offensive. I hate their products because of the BAD feeling they have, the poor technology decisions they have always taken and their most inner stupidity. They used to call Amiga a "games machine": "huh, colors, music, mouse.. what are those for, gaming?"
They damaged the industry beyond repair with their dominance based on strong and agresive marketing and distribution chain mafia-like politics, to put their atrocious products down our throats.

I HOPE they consume, suffer, die and disapear with pain and hunger.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;750817
@commodorejohn I hate to break this to you, but  we don't matter... The people you know are yesterday's users. Spend some  time with young people and see how they are using technology... That's  the future, not those of us who sill remember 8bit games :)

I use an iPad Mini for 90% of my computing tasks now... With a 5 year  old MacBook Pro for some heavy lifting, content creation work... But  more and more work can be done on mobile devices now!
The people I know encompass an age range from sixty-year-olds (who, we're told, are afraid of the complexity of real computers and are totally all using the iPads now) to elementary-school students. The guy who expressed his desire for "a real computer" is barely out of high school. I know junior-high students who own laptops and use them for mobile computing rather than smartphones or tablets. If these people are "yesterday's users," "today's users" and "tomorrow's users" must all still be in kindergarten.

Seriously, man. If your scaled-down iPad works for you, well, whatever. But your preference has squat to do with what people are actually using, and all the evidence that I have seen points to exactly not what you're claiming.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Roj

• Show only replies by Roj
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=247
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
I've had this discussion in several other forums, but it boils down to a decision by the majority: at what point does ease-of-use supersede function?

Bigger desktop cases offer more space for more stuff to fit into, and portables remove that advanced processing muscle in favor of great portability. At their extremes, a desktop will exponentially outperform a tablet, while a tablet can be used anywhere, anytime.  It's clear that your average Joe, who is really the driving force in the market, doesn't have much use for the power offered by desktops anymore.

I think those of us who grew up with desktops hold their unique benefits more dearly than those who use computers for more general stuff.

It always sucks having insight and perspective on products and their uses only to see the neophytes pass on those benefits in favor of their own preferential satisfaction, but that's the story of, well, just about any product throughout history.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:03:45 PM by Roj »
I sold my Amiga for a small fortune, but a part of my soul went with it.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 08:56:34 PM »
If you are planning to type anything into a computer, you're hopefully not going to use a touch screen device or a tiny bluetooth chiclet keyboard to do it. As long as people want to type things into computers, the traditional ones with full-size keyboards and large, ergonomically positioned monitors aren't going away.

I couldn't spend 90% of my computing time at an iPad or any such device since I work a day job where I have to do a lot of typing into a computer. Another handicapping feature of these devices is that they won't run the software I want to use. Even if typing on an iPad touch screen that you either stare down at or lift your arm to reach wasn't the most ergonomically unsound idea since the stretching rack, I couldn't use it to compile and debug software in any meaningful way.

I'm not sure what meaningful thing I'd do at a computer if I had to spend 90% at an iPad. I thankfully don't have enough menial work to do to be able to spend any serious stretch of time doing it with a locked down, barely multitasking phone device.

Unlike many other historical developments of computer user interfaces -- going from knobs and jacks to flip switches, to punch cards, to printer terminals, to CRT terminals, to desktop computers, laptops -- the touch screen device is a massive trade-off in terms of efficiency and ergonomics. It exists simply because it's small and somewhat more flexible in terms of presentation than a tiny keyboard and a tiny screen.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
guys, you can call me an idiot, but ive just acquired ms surface pro some time ago and while i find the integration of both frontend interfaces seriously inconsistent, im not bothered with it that much. with all these inconsequences one has to accustom to it seems damn useful device that can substitute my i7 pc in most cases while looking and working like an expandable tablet (few interfaces like usb, bluetooth, wlan, video but stinn lore than a regular mobile device i think). also im rather positively surprised with win8 in contrary to win7, being actually a hardcore xp appologist when it comes to pcs.

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 10:35:40 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;750826
guys, you can call me an idiot, but ive just acquired ms surface pro some time ago and while i find the integration of both frontend interfaces seriously inconsistent, im not bothered with it that much. with all these inconsequences one has to accustom to it seems damn useful device that can substitute my i7 pc in most cases while looking and working like an expandable tablet (few interfaces like usb, bluetooth, wlan, video but stinn lore than a regular mobile device i think). also im rather positively surprised with win8 in contrary to win7, being actually a hardcore xp appologist when it comes to pcs.

Surface is a waste of money, just like the Zune.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 10:37:24 PM »
Quote from: rebraist;750778
A good joke.
That article sums potatoes and cabbages... windows and android.
I repeat, a good joke.
If you talk about mobile os, well windows has not even 1%...

This is wikipedia, september 2013. With windows at about 90% (as always it's been) for desktop systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Be careful with Wikipedia as just today it informed me that Enduro was only released for the Atari 2600....which is a kind of funny because here I have a clamshell cassette with the game on tape for the Sinclair pregnant calculator (Spectrum AKA Timex computer in the USA) :)

In the corporate world Windows has probably infected 99% of businesses in the western world so that's even worse. In every office I have ever worked it is 1000:1 or 100:1 PC:Mac ratio.

However the statistic of Mac sales vs Wintel sales to new customers in the US is indeed much less than 90%. Students outside those for nerds invariably go for NON Microsoft stuff.

Luckily looking at PS4 vs Xbox 180 (sorry XBONE) it is quite possible they will really screw that up with more draconian DRM, some weird insistence that their $hit online service should STILL be paid for and much weaker performance of hardware in the box. Let's hope Windows 8 and XBONE combine to make a massive dent in their filthy market shares accrued through illegal activities and absolutely pathetic programming ability (or lack there of) :)

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:58 PM »
I have to say I am with Commodorejohn and Linde on this subject, there are to much gain in stationary/laptop x86 PC's that can't be traded away for handheld touch devices, sure some people can do most of their computing needs on handheld devices but every single one I know have either a stationary computer or a laptop, they use their handhelds at the TV under comercials and on the go.

I know people in a wide age span, my youngest sister is 24 years younger then me and all of em use full size x86 Machines.

Ive even noticed a wide range of heavy handheld device users use it mostly for their Facebook/twitter/flikr needs and cheking the weather (beside Calling/texting) and as soon they need to type something bigger or browse the internet more then news sites they go to a x86 machine.

I don't know facts and numbers, I just state what I see around me and my eyes do not see the end of PC's.

I don't see how a 4-10" handheld could dominate the average joe's all computing needs either if he is a techie or not.

There is just so much you can not do without a mouse/keyboard and propper display size not to forget the ergonomics.

Just my two cents without going to deep in the subject.

Sorry about misspellings and such, im tired after a night with Stargate ;)

Edit: Good night :)

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »
It don't matter if windows goes. The desktop will still be around.  More games are being released to Linux than windows.  Steam is starting to become somewhat popular on Linux. Not all their games are there yet. The online games should start thinking about  moving towards Linux.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 01:43:43 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;750785
15%?

Apparently Ubuntu comes pre-installed on 10% of all new computers these days I would have thought that the other 90% was mostly Windows and at least 10% OSX.

I don't like to lump Android/iOS/WP/Blackberry in with the figures for computer sales personally.

If you count mobile in with desktops it begs the question why not count game systems?
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline nicholas

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 23, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;750867
If you count mobile in with desktops it begs the question why not count game systems?

Indeed why not, the PS4 running BSD would certainly skew the results once it's been on sale for a while. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini