Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org iPhone app  (Read 8244 times)

Description:

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Amiga.org iPhone app
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »
Just a thought, perhaps Wayne would be keen to make an app for a.org? Would rock
A.org

Re: Amiga.org iPhone app 
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
It would absolutely rock, and I'll be glad to help in any way I can, but I'm not particularly familiar with writing iPhone apps, or how it would be accomplished.

We also have to contend with the potential changeover of the site, should it not be compatible with later PHP / MySQL later this year, but as an iPhone user, I'm all for it.

Wayne

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:21:22 PM »
I was considering constructing a more iPhone-friendly front end for a.org, but obviously have no way to interface with the database. I personally think an app would be overkill - a "mobile.amiga.org" would suffice :-)

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Amiga.org iPhone app
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »
amigaworld.net already works with mobile browsers out of the box. Something like that for amiga.org would be nice.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:47:41 PM »
i realize how easy it is for everyone -- who has never run a site -- to sit and armchair quarterback about how easy things are and should be.  

I don't however have the time, or inclination to spend a hundred or so hours developing for Xoops 2.0.7.  ESPECIALLY when the pending server upgrade will more than likely kill off Xoops for us altogether.

It has nothing to do with this site itself, or the Amiga.  Remember, I run several sites including Whyzzat and the Salem Spectator, wingwiki, etc.

When I started this site nearly 15 years ago, the net was new, and I was some eager kid who worked in a warehouse and had too much time on my hands.  My life now however is spent 8-16 hours a day in front of a computer for my real job and -- to be honest -- I don't find it fun any more to spend more of my time than I have to developing web code.  It's a real shame to realize that I've lost the love for coding that I once had, but there we are.

It's kind of like what happens to Amiga users when they learn everything that there is to know about the Amiga.  They tend to say, "ok, what's next?", then move on to something else.

Tell you what though...

If anyone out there wants to install a copy of Xoops 2.0.7 and NewBB 2 in order to develop a "mobile.amiga.org" page, I will be EXTRAORDINARILY happy to take that working code, change the DB details, maybe pretty it up then put it online for us.

Offline motorollin

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »
@Wayne
I don't think anybody said it would be easy...
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:03:51 PM »

motorollin wrote:
@Wayne
I don't think anybody said it would be easy...

amigaworld.net already works with mobile browsers out of the box. Something like that for amiga.org would be nice.

Witness what I took as a seemingly snarky suggestion that it's not only easy but an accusation that I'm somehow lacking for not already having done it.

As for easy or not, in the context of my last reply, you now help to prove my point.  It wouldn't be THAT difficult, it's simply that -- wherein this site is concerned -- I feel very trapped.

- If I make it modern and useful, the 5% of Amiga users {bleep} and go to moobunny anonymously crying.

- If I leave it be, people complain that it's not modern enough for their cell phones.

- The code is so old it can't be upgraded (the upgrade paths are long gone).

--- sigh... nevermind, this is getting depressing.

I just wish there were some young, enthusiastic person out there willing to invest in the site -- They spend more on Amiga parts on e-bay -- then take it and do what they want with it.

As for me, between coding burnout and the paradox that this site has become (between steadfast Amiga curmudgeons and those that want new features), I'm just in a holding pattern, hoping that I don't have to reinvent the wheel when PHP4 is discontinued.

I've been doing this for 15 years now and I guess I'm just totally burned out.  Not only have I seen 4 owners come and disappear, I've seen the community shrink from thousands of enthusiasts to *maybe* dozens of hardened tinkers.  

I've loved doing it, because it's provided a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction over the years, but frankly, I'd rather be riding than coding or playing with computers any day.  

If I could only find a job that paid me to ride and write about it.

Wayne

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:07:20 PM »
Wow Wayne, relax.

I know you have something against me personally, but believe me, that comment wasn't meant to be snarky in any way.

I just noticed the other day that amigaworld.net has this nice feature, it works nicely with Opera Mini on my 6120C and E71. I just noted that something like that would be nice for amiga.org, too.

If you somehow read something snarky into that earlier post, well I can't help that.

Just to reiterate:
- I have not accused you of anything in this thread
- I have not gone to moobunny to cry anonymously
- I have not complained about amiga.org not being modern enough on my cell phone

Offline motorollin

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
*backs away quietly*
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 03:11:17 PM »
#piru,

Before you get the wrong idea, my remarks were *not* personal in any way, or at least they were not intended to be.

I'm trying -- apparently unsuccessfully -- to relay my frustration and burnout with coding in general (as well as my burnout with trying to keep the site going).  I can't even get enthusiastic about putting in the hundreds of hours necessary to create a new Amiga.org in the rubble of what this site will become after the PHP upgrade.

I apologize if I made it personal in any way.  That's not my intent.  

If the Amiga were still a viable platform, and moving in any direction (that doesn't involve Bill Buck), that'd be different, but I'm suddenly realizing how long a journey this has been and frankly, I'm very, very tired.

Really.  Honestly, I'm very sorry to have made it sound like I was either attacking, or misunderstanding your comment.  My personal frustrations just got involved, and I apologize.

Wayne

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 03:17:26 PM »

motorollin wrote:
*backs away quietly*

haha...

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
For the record, though we've all interacted through this site, we really don't know one another, and it's very easy to misunderstand intent and reaction through a web post.  

If we were all locked in the same room, chances are we'd be drunk and buying rounds within an hour.  Good old buddy style, with a few exceptions.

I do owe an ass kicking to a couple of people (related to the Bill Buck screwing that I got) but that doesn't involve a single person on this site.  Hell, if we ever had the chance to be in the same room, I'd probably buy the first round for every single person here.

That's how I feel.

Wayne

Offline motorollin

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 03:23:38 PM »
@Wayne

:love:
:pint:
:knuddel:

(in that order).
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 04:17:27 PM »
 :pint:  :-D

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
@Wayne

Since you sound like you have so much free time... How about you run over to the Greenbrier Restaurant, get me a mess of Hush Puppies and same day airmail them to South Florida :-?

Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!