Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien Breed TC for BOOM based DOOM Engines & Such.  (Read 19775 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Alien Breed TC for BOOM based DOOM Engines & Such.
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
Quote from: Havie;695747
I'm obviously being stupid but how does the wad work with prboom?  I select AB3D wad from the menu but when I play the game I still start on the normal doom map. Help!

Put all three WAD files in the same directory as your BOOM executable.

Right click on the BOOM icon, and add in the WAD files through there.

Scroll down and you'll see what you need to do.

P.S. I forgot to include the separate BEX file for BOOM. Rather I injected it into the AB3D.WAD file as that's how PRBOOM Plus handles them. I'll upload the BEX shortly.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Havie

• Show only replies by Havie
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;695750
Put all three WAD files in the same directory as your BOOM executable.

Right click on the BOOM icon, and add in the WAD files through there.

Scroll down and you'll see what you need to do.

P.S. I forgot to include the separate BEX file for BOOM. Rather I injected it into the AB3D.WAD file as that's how PRBOOM Plus handles them. I'll upload the BEX shortly.

Sorry = I right click on glboom or prboom and I can't see an option to add wad, If I use the menu I do get AB3D screen and some changed baddies but map is still doom1.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »
Bex file uploaded:

http://www.mediafire.com/?o7n5cfzzfhn3vco

Like the three WAD files, you will load this up in BOOM's Icon Info under the BEX section.

Sorry about that.

BTW, you NEED this file in order for the Red Alien to act correctly. Without it he is very very slow! Also the Barrels will now explode correctly too. ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:45 PM »
For comparison's sake, here is a youtube video of the original Alien Breed 3D.

http://youtu.be/AJjQopEx2D0

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »
Quote from: Havie;695752
Sorry = I right click on glboom or prboom and I can't see an option to add wad, If I use the menu I do get AB3D screen and some changed baddies but map is still doom1.

Sorry, I meant you have to right click the BOOM icon and go into it's info.

From there you can make the changes you need.

Offline Havie

• Show only replies by Havie
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »
Sorry - I'm on the dark side and am trying to run your wad on a pc. Not sure my Amiga 1200 with 030 could do it justice?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
Quote from: Havie;695785
Sorry - I'm on the dark side and am trying to run your wad on a pc. Not sure my Amiga 1200 with 030 could do it justice?

Actually no, I believe you at least need an 040...

...and a basic understanding of Icon Info. ;)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »
Last night upload was a train wreck. The maps were too dark in standard BOOM, and there were way too many files.

So here I have uploaded things again, this time 1 WAD file and 1 Bex (for those using standard BOOM).

Aside of lighting I have tweaked a few other things within the map to make it a wee bit closer to the original.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7818645rfaacb0m

Also, I believe I broke support for DOOM 2, so use FreeDOOM instead. Woops. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:26:13 PM by XDelusion »

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:58 AM »
Just had a play around with this in PRBoom on an XP64 machine and it looks most promising! Keep on converting and chipping away at it, XDelusion =).

Here's a quick FRAPped video running in PRBoom with the Freedoom WAD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni131ZgwgAk
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:11:21 AM by odin »

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 06:34:34 AM »
New version seems to work on in BOOM 68k now, looking good :)

keeping it real
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
AB3D did a lot of things DOOM engine couldn't handle, how much of that is covered by using BOOM? The only thing I see mentioned here is not being able to look through water.

What about real 3D levels (with floors directly on top of each other)? If the AB3D level size is a problem for Quake (see the other AB3D project), isn't it very likely also a problem for Doom/BOOM?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;695918
AB3D did a lot of things DOOM engine couldn't handle, how much of that is covered by using BOOM? The only thing I see mentioned here is not being able to look through water.

What about real 3D levels (with floors directly on top of each other)? If the AB3D level size is a problem for Quake (see the other AB3D project), isn't it very likely also a problem for Doom/BOOM?

First off, thankx! Anything you see out of place in this or upcoming demos, please feel free to critique or ask about. I can use an extra set of eyes for things like this.

No ducking unless this feature is later added to the Amiga port of BOOM. This can be pulled of with ZDOOM and GzDOOM amongst others, but until the Amiga port of BOOM supports it, I will not be supporting it.

3D Floors are totally doable. It's a hack in reality, but I can do it. You'll be seeing one example of that when I finish off the textures, sounds, and sprites needed for map one. After that I will move on to map 2 which features a 3D floor right off the bat.

Room above room will be totally doable, but again with a hack that the player won't notice anyhow.

Um... I had a mental list of things that I could not do, but I can't think of any more items at the moment, though I do recall that none of them should really have any major impact upon the game.

On that note I will be able to add features to Alien Breed that the old AB engine could not do, though I think I'll be saving those features for the post map 16 maps as I want to keep the first 16 levels as true to form as possible.

If you would like an example (though not fully completed and ready) of what the BOOM engine adds to the DOOM sources that AB could do, but classic DOOM could not; go to the room in map 1 with the pool of water.

The water is scrolling on the surface as it does in AB3D. You can jump into the water just like AB3D, and the water slows down your character. Again just like AB3D. The only thing I have not gotten around to adding yet is the blue fog effect that you would see in AB3D while submerged in water. Also I'd like to adjust the lighting in that section as well as replace the water texture with something with a lighter blue. The one from FreeDOOM that I am currently using just doesn't fit in.

Anyhow, the details will speak for them selves in the days ahead.

Oh, and I don't see why I should have issues with the maps being too big. I'm really surprised that Quake is.

Who's working on that project anyhow?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:00:35 PM by XDelusion »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
Quote from: odin;695872
Just had a play around with this in PRBoom on an XP64 machine and it looks most promising! Keep on converting and chipping away at it, XDelusion =).

Here's a quick FRAPped video running in PRBoom with the Freedoom WAD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni131ZgwgAk

Hey, cool, first I saw that NovaCoder posted a video, and then you! Thank you, that made me feel good!

Though watching it it made me want to push on and improve upon it. Also I noticed that in the port of PrBOOM that textures showed up as missing in places where they do not on other ports. Strange.

Can you give me a link to the download you used, I want to see if it's a problem on my end, or in the engine itself. Thankx!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 01:16:43 AM »
You're welcome =).

I used prboom-2.5.0-win32.zip from http://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom/files/prboom%20stable/2.5.0/ on a Windows XP 64-bit Professional machine. I was using the glboom executable.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;695960
First off, thankx! Anything you see out of place in this or upcoming demos, please feel free to critique or ask about. I can use an extra set of eyes for things like this.

No ducking unless this feature is later added to the Amiga port of BOOM. This can be pulled of with ZDOOM and GzDOOM amongst others, but until the Amiga port of BOOM supports it, I will not be supporting it.

3D Floors are totally doable. It's a hack in reality, but I can do it. You'll be seeing one example of that when I finish off the textures, sounds, and sprites needed for map one. After that I will move on to map 2 which features a 3D floor right off the bat.

Room above room will be totally doable, but again with a hack that the player won't notice anyhow.

Um... I had a mental list of things that I could not do, but I can't think of any more items at the moment, though I do recall that none of them should really have any major impact upon the game.

On that note I will be able to add features to Alien Breed that the old AB engine could not do, though I think I'll be saving those features for the post map 16 maps as I want to keep the first 16 levels as true to form as possible.

If you would like an example (though not fully completed and ready) of what the BOOM engine adds to the DOOM sources that AB could do, but classic DOOM could not; go to the room in map 1 with the pool of water.

The water is scrolling on the surface as it does in AB3D. You can jump into the water just like AB3D, and the water slows down your character. Again just like AB3D. The only thing I have not gotten around to adding yet is the blue fog effect that you would see in AB3D while submerged in water. Also I'd like to adjust the lighting in that section as well as replace the water texture with something with a lighter blue. The one from FreeDOOM that I am currently using just doesn't fit in.

Do these newer doom engines do stuff like smooth shading between the vertices in a sector? Both AB3D and AB3D2 used this (the latter much moreso) to create some nice faux lighting effects.
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 11, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »
The resolution is too low in AB3D I for me to notice, but I certainly see it in II...

beautiful stuff!

I'm not really sure if DOOM/BOOM has that specific thing or not. If it does, I probably use it and just don't know the name of it. :)