Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The First Annual Festive Amiga Game Making Competition  (Read 17351 times)

Description:

Offline mailman

• Show only replies by mailman
    • http://www.ppa.pl
Re: The First Annual Festive Amiga Game Making Competition
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
Quote from: Geit;533834
Ahm, you may not noticed, but the game is already available :)

But I am looking forward to the XMas skin ;) If it is available too, I must have missed something...

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
Such a cool idea, so little time :cry: :cry: :cry:
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Zener

• Show only replies by Zener
    • http://kung-foo.dhs.org/zener/
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 07:19:39 PM »
Another one,  count me in!

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 07:44:06 PM »
Quote from: mailman;533854
But I am looking forward to the XMas skin ;) If it is available too, I must have missed something...

Sure it is! :)

Geit

Offline CammyTopic starter

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 09:22:06 PM »
Quote from: AmiDARK;533852
Hi Everyone,
I just take part to the forum now because I wanted to tell a small note concerning this competition.

Firstly, I want to thank the "creators" of this competition. It's alwayss cool to see a competition for Amiga World :) As usually, there are no one ..

But, to be honest, I think this competition is a "shot in the water".
As I said from previous posts, the objectives were to try to revivify the Amiga coding community ... and to bring new products to Amiga World ... But where is the real interest of bringing games that will be only used for ... "emulation" ... Or, if they're compatible with AmigaOS4, MorphOS or Aros ... They will not use the technology available for these Amiga... computers ... So, the games developed for this competition will bring nothing new to Amiga .. only things that already exist thousand times ...
And these games will not attract anyone to the Amiga World because it does not show what new Amiga's can do
So, this competition will bring ... nothing to the Amiga World ...
It's a good idea for retro gaming competition ... but will be useless for actual Amiga World ..

I just wanted to give my opinion on the subject.

EDIT : However, I'll try to submit something Amos+Asm made ;)

Kindest Regards,
AmiDARK
http://www.amidark-engine.com

Please allow me to defend myself, I have many reasons for creating this competition with the rules it has. First of all, you should read this thread - http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50563 , which was started to ask the question of why the Amiga scene doesn't hold game making contests like the MSX scene does.

We concluded that to have a competitive contest, there needs to be a common platform everyone can develop for, and more importantly, more people can download, play and rate the results so we have a fair contest with lots of votes. Anyone with a computer can play classic Amiga games, either on their original hardware or through emulation, so there's nothing stopping them from playing all the contest entries. If someone were to submit an AmigaOS4 game, I would not be able to test it myself, and I'm sure most other Amiga users won't be able to try it either. The same goes for a MorphOS or Aros game, although there are hardly any excuses for not being able to run Aros these days. We had to keep a common target platform to keep the contest fair, but also because a lot of people still know how to program games for them who wouldn't know where to start when it comes to coding for RTG, AHI, PPC and things they weren't used to when they still programmed with classic Amigas.

I'm not saying that it's too hard to make games for OS4 or other modern Amiga systems, and I encourage people to maybe port their games to newer Amiga systems after the contest is finished. But this contest is just a small retro gaming one aimed at classics for now, and it is the first of many I hope we can run. The contest is being run on Amiga.org, Classic Amiga, The English Amiga Board, and Indie Gamer. We're not running it on AmigaWorld or Amigans.net because those sites are either increasingly against classic development, or just simply OS4-only. There would be no interest there, and it would only be met with hostility and speculation. It has been pointed out already that anyone is more than welcome to start their own OS4 game making contest on one of those forums, and I encourage anyone willing to do so.

This contest wasn't started to revolutionize the Amiga platform or bring amazing new things to it. It's for fun, in the spirit of Christmas. The only thing I hope to bring to the Amiga world with this contest is joy and happiness, and a few extra games for us to play at Christmas time each year.

I hope you understand this competition wasn't meant to exclude anyone, but to include everyone!

I'm looking forward to all your entries, good luck with them!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:23:41 AM by Cammy »
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Radfoo

• Show only replies by Radfoo
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
arghh, please help.

Spent ages going through the Backbone tutorial but i'm stuck.  When I select create game, shortly after saying 'creating executable' it then comes up with 'Error in creating the Game!, e-mail the programmer'.  I have gone through the common problems section and it says I might be low on memory, however at the moment i'm using UAE (amikit) with tons of RAM so I don't think that is it. Will prob try it on a real amiga but not got one hooked up at the mo.

Would be grateful for any suggestions, thanks!!

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »
I'm not sure what could be causing this, there are a lot of bugs in Backbone that you have to learn about through trial and error, and just avoid. If you would like to pack your game files in an lha and the Backbone project file, I could have a look on my A1200 and see if it compiles.

Sometimes it happens when you have set the map size too large or add too many objects. If you have any scenes, make sure they flow/link properly.

I hope you get it working, there's always a way with Backbone, you just have to keep trying other ways.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad

Get AmigaOS

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;533715
This is an excellent idea! A certificate for each winner and contestant would make a neat addition to the prizes, I'll definitely add this. Are there any graphic artists out there who would like to lend a hand to designing some Annual Festive Amiga Game Making Competition certificates?

Cammy-Doll, just shoot me a PM of what you'd like on the certs and I'll try to  have one together by the end of the week. I'd like to offer up a game, for fun, but I don't think I'd make the deadline...
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Radfoo

• Show only replies by Radfoo
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »
Thanks Cammy, think I have sorted it.  Seems like a problem with v2.10, I have re-installed and 2.8 seems to work ok. Will investigate further tomorrow :-)

Offline Philski

• Show only replies by Philski
    • http://gallery.me.com/phil.cobley
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:40 PM »
Wow, this has really got me motivated!

I've been wanting to find time to try and figure out GRAC for ages and now seems like as good an opportunity as ever.

However I've hit me first hurdle - does anyone know how get characters to talk to one another and create a conversation tree?

Good luck everyone!

Phil

Offline mailman

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
Quote from: Geit;533872
Sure it is! :)

Geit

Then I really must have missed it ;)

Offline mailman

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;533276

Here's the deal: You have two weeks to make your own Christmas-themed Amiga game. All entries must be uploaded by Christmas Eve, December 24th, when we can all download and play them on our Amigas (or emulated Amigas).

Where should they be uploaded? Some special place or, for example, Aminet?

Offline Koyot

• Show only replies by Koyot
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »

"Little witch, quest for the north star" 2009 from Krzysztof Matys
Game was certaint to be similar clone of Gobliiins pointnclick game
that have been publicated for amigas in 90ties.

Story: Little witch (2inch) is getting to long travel to the north
pool while christmas time. Travel for find the north star.
Details resolution 320x240, 32 indexed colours, gerne: poi&click game,
adventure, story.

Something about me:
There was no time for me to program this game, but i realize that i
can do some preview of my concept for classic game made for classic
amiga. Im only the computer graphist, probably game would be playable
in the near future, all i can do is Amos programing.
Sorry for all my english mistakes. Sincerly Chris

Offline Robert1234

• Show only replies by Robert1234
    • Robert Szacki Homepage
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
I would like to announce my participation in the contest aswell. Where should I upload my game? As a reply to this thread or elsewhere? Thanks for answer.

Offline theformula

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »
I am working on a small simple point and click game using dpaint and scala lol
A1200T Blizzard 1240/040/128MB Mediator Voodoo 3
A4000 Cyberstorm MkIII Picasso IV
A1200 020 Viper 8mb
Macmini G4 Morphos 3.1
2x A4000/030 Stock

« Reply #44 from previous page: December 18, 2009, 08:31:29 AM »
Wow, I'm happy to see more people joining in!

I think the best idea for now would be for each contestant to upload their finished game to their own space and private message me with a link to the download, or send me an email with the game as an attachment. I will then upload them all to the Amiga Christmas Tree Website, which I am in the process of updating for this year. The website is here - http://amigachristmastree.condor.serverpro3.com - but at the moment it's still showing last year's page. I intend to replace it with the new one soon!

All entries should be provided as either an LHA archive that can be extracted and run from Workbench, or as an ADF file that can be written back to floppy or run in an emulator. A burnable ISO image for CDTV or CD32 would be fine too. Please provide a ReadMe file with your entry to explain what the game is about and how you made it, this should help people make a fair choice when voting for the games. If you have used any ripped graphics, sound or music please credit your sources, and let us know which language or game maker you used to create the game.

After the new Amiga Christmas Tree page is uploaded, I'll post all new information about the contest there, as well as replying to anyone on the forums. I can be contacted through PM on this forum, or through MSN or email (both are the same address) which you can find out on my profile. Also, if anyone would just like to chat about Amiga stuff, feel free to add me to MSN (I use AmiMSN on my A1200 and SabreMSN on my Aros laptop).

Merry Christmas, and good luck everyone!

Get AmigaOS