Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CF memory card as HDD - lost partition?  (Read 377 times)

Description:

Offline kreciuTopic starter

CF memory card as HDD - lost partition?
« on: June 13, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »
I was playing with ShapeShifter and I tried to create hard disk file and I forgot that size of file was set in kb so I make it larger then my partition... I got error that there was not space on hdd. Great. I deleted file that was created... tried to create another one, but ShapeShifter started to "behave funny".

After reset I lost two partitions, and after another one my CF card completely was gone. Computer will not boot with it :(. Need to buy new one.

Question: HOW TO PREVENT THIS KIND OF STUFF happening! (I still love Amiga, I think).
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline paul1981

Re: CF memory card as HDD - lost partition?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 02:32:12 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;809935
I was playing with ShapeShifter and I tried to create hard disk file and I forgot that size of file was set in kb so I make it larger then my partition... I got error that there was not space on hdd. Great. I deleted file that was created... tried to create another one, but ShapeShifter started to "behave funny".

After reset I lost two partitions, and after another one my CF card completely was gone. Computer will not boot with it :(. Need to buy new one.

Question: HOW TO PREVENT THIS KIND OF STUFF happening! (I still love Amiga, I think).

Why do you need to buy a new CF? How about doing a re-partition/quick format instead?

The only reason you've lost data is because the CF couldn't have been setup correctly in the first place (was it correctly dealing with standard Kickstart 4GB or 8GB limits?). Do you know what file system was used and what the partition sizes were? If it wasn't setup correctly then creating a huge file that fills the partition could wrap around and erase the beginning of the disk...ie your boot partition).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:35:01 PM by paul1981 »

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;809937
Why do you need to buy a new CF? How about doing a re-partition/quick format instead?

Computer will not boot with this CF card anymore.

only reason you've lost data is because the CF couldn't have been setup correctly in the first place (was it correctly dealing with standard Kickstart 4GB or 8GB limits?). Do you know what file system was used and what the partition sizes were? If it wasn't setup correctly then creating a huge file that fills the partition could wrap around and erase the beginning of the disk...ie your boot partition).

FFS from OS3.9, largest partition was 600Mb.

How to set up CF "properly"? I did not have any issues with it before.
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
in case you missed these, here are some info regarding CF/SD cards on Amiga :

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?19899-CF-SD-and-large-drives-FAQ
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61666

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:59:20 PM »
Thank you for links. I need to set up system, so this time I will make it... better.

Offline apsteinmetz

• Show only replies by apsteinmetz
-- Art
Amiga 1000 (mothballed)
Amiga 2000 2.04 + GVP 2000-030/4meg + GVP 2000-HD + Starboard 1meg + Microway FlickerFixer.
Amiga 1200 (repaired by ACILL)