Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Amiga and CD/dvds  (Read 298 times)

Description:

Offline SACC-guyTopic starter

Classic Amiga and CD/dvds
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »
I just used AsimWare for years. It worked.
But now I want to know how does...Asim, ide-fix, etc work to add these devices?

M

Offline Rob

Re: Classic Amiga and CD/dvds
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
It's years since I've used IDE-Fix but if I remember right adding any attached CD drives is part of the install process and should be the same for Elbox's products too.  Both come with good documentation too but I think you'll be fine without needing to consult it much.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
The standard IDE interface on the Amiga was the original design to handle hard drives alone; the SCSI interface started the same way (hard drive only), but was modified to handle non-hard drive devices.  The ATAPI  interface came along for the IDE controllers to handle optical drives, tape drives and such and is based on the developed SCSI commands.  IDEFix software adds these ATAPI commands and one needs the addition of the Optical drive file system to interpret what is read, such as ASIMware's of other CDFS.  There is more information out there on the web and some of it may actually be correct!

Offline SACC-guyTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 03:42:53 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;775885
The standard IDE interface on the Amiga was the original design to handle hard drives alone; the SCSI interface started the same way (hard drive only), but was modified to handle non-hard drive devices.  The ATAPI  interface came along for the IDE controllers to handle optical drives, tape drives and such and is based on the developed SCSI commands.  IDEFix software adds these ATAPI commands and one needs the addition of the Optical drive file system to interpret what is read, such as ASIMware's of other CDFS.  There is more information out there on the web and some of it may actually be correct!
Thanks, that helped.
I also started reading the thread on the 1200 and cd's.
More good info.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:32 AM »
As an aside, the historical facts to this situation are a good read starting with Shugart onward.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »
I always had good luck with ASIM, fwiw - from my A4000 20 years ago to the A1200 I gave away about a year ago, it always worked for me with most generic IDE optical drives.