Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: efika 2.3  (Read 335 times)

Description:

Offline AAACHIPSETTopic starter

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
efika 2.3
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:29:07 AM »
what operating system runs on efika 2.3  ..
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: efika 2.3
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:17:07 AM »
Older MOS and Linux variants.

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »
Quote from: Duce;775784
Older MOS and Linux variants.

The very latest version of MorphOS still supports the EfikaPPC platform. That being said, its 128MB of system memory is a harsh limitation in 2014 especially while browsing complex websites with the Odyssey web browser.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
Ahh cool, thanks for the correction, Andre - and yeah, I imagine the RAM would be a pretty big setback usability wise.

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
There is a special version of MOS for the Efika that takes the tiny memory into account. But yes, 128 isn't much which you notice when you surf the web. But for most other things it's not half bad.

Offline AAACHIPSETTopic starter

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 11:53:51 AM »
thanks  for  that  ...i searched  but couldnt  find the model  ...
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;775799
There is a special version of MOS for the Efika that takes the tiny memory into account.

No, there is not. There is only *one* MorphOS version for all systems. There is a special boot image for the Efika, which makes installing quite easy. However you can install MorphOS on an Efika by using the standard iso and an external usb CDROM as well or update a previous install using iso boot on the big size cd iso.

MorphOS is designed to be as memory efficient as possible. Some features and applications as OWB may not work at all due the memory limitations. Also the multitasking features may be limited as running multiple applications increase the memory usage.

However the efika is a nice system for e.g. having a nice audio streaming client with a 24/7 chat and mail system. Using SSD/Cf Card as boot device, makes it completly quiet.

Geit

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
I realise now that it wasn't clear at all that this "special version" was meant as a special version of OWB (where some memory intese but not vital functions are removed) which comes as default with MorphOS. My apologies. I wrote that in a hurry.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
I own an Efika and am running MorphOS 3.7 on it. Web browsing is not an option as OWB will eat up all your RAM. Mind you you could use a classic Amiga web browser, but don't expect much.

Netsurf is out of the question due to ixemul.library issues.

That aside, IRC is fine, FTP, e-mail, etc. All that can be pulled off without issue.

Odamex runs fine, but don't expect to be able to play very advanced DOOM wads with it or your frame rate will drop.

Quake II runs like a wet dream as do many other game from that era and back.

ScummVM, Giana's Return, and so forth, all run great!

Emulation isn't much of an option beyond NES and Sega Master System.

Classic Amiga programs still run like they are on crack, so it is a good means to run classic apps, though with your graphics programs still expect screen garbage with some...

...an old MoprhOS issues I could never quite resolve no matter what computer or GFX card I tried.

All in all, if you can grab one for CHEAP, it is a fun toy to have around, otherwise if you are going to dump $100 or more into it and MorphOS, might as well buy a tower system as I was not impressed with my Mac Mini experience even with 64Mb vRAM.

EDIT: I just read that 3.7 broke something so that Quake II won't run for anyone. I've not tested it my self though...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:12:57 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs