Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Renoise Tracker?  (Read 3022 times)

Description:

Offline TheGooseTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
Renoise Tracker?
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Just been trying this and I can't believe it actually seems to be working without skipping and puking. Anyone using this? It seems to be light weight and have no latency issues pee cee trackers typically exhibit.

And it's running on an old AMD Athalon XP 3800+ 32bit. I'm shocked. Or is this a false hope?

"All the way back to Amiga..."

[youtube]cnjUuu0_zFQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:54:44 PM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Jpan1

• Show only replies by Jpan1
Re: Renoise Tracker?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:42:58 PM »
i'm using madtracker becuase it is easier and less full-on then renoise so for my needs it does the job.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
Renoise is one of the best non-Amiga trackers out there. It even supports VST and AU plug-ins. The Windows demo leaves out support for ASIO. I'm suprised it doesn't skip on your machine without it?

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »
All the demo songs seem to play fine. I then made up a simple drum and bass song in minutes. Totally love the interface.

And it works with re-wire so Adobe Audition can be a host , OMG, this is all to good to be true. It would probably blow up if I had both going. And yeah, my ASIO card isn't even being used rightly.

I think these guys (i have followed this app for some time) been working hard. DACs comments in video line perfectly with my philosophy too.. :hammer:

Keep playing around today, come on snow storm!!!! Snow like a MF!

I\'m on Google +

Offline spihunter

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:50:04 PM »
It would be cool to use it side by side with Rewire/ Logic on My Mac recording setup.
It kind of defeats the purpose of using a tracker for me though since I want to use it
to get that distinct 8-bit paula sound to mix with my 24bit Logic sound.

I think midi syncing a real A1200 with my Mac is my only option for this.

Quote from: TheGoose;605091
All the demo songs seem to play fine. I then made up a simple drum and bass song in minutes. Totally love the interface.

And it works with re-wire so Adobe Audition can be a host , OMG, this is all to good to be true. It would probably blow up if I had both going. And yeah, my ASIO card isn't even being used rightly.

I think these guys (i have followed this app for some time) been working hard. DACs comments in video line perfectly with my philosophy too.. :hammer:

Keep playing around today, come on snow storm!!!! Snow like a MF!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:58:42 PM »
Quote from: spihunter;605113
It would be cool to use it side by side with Rewire/ Logic on My Mac recording setup.
It kind of defeats the purpose of using a tracker for me though since I want to use it
to get that distinct 8-bit paula sound to mix with my 24bit Logic sound.

I think midi syncing a real A1200 with my Mac is my only option for this.

A Paula VST would be interesting, perhaps the UADE code would be useful?

Or just MIDI sync to an instance of UAE on your Mac.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
Ohh noo this is terrible, I think my days of OSS may be numbered. I just converted and old mod to .mod (protracker), swithced the time to BPM in OSS and saved. Brought it over to RN and it worked perfectly.

I had to manually set the LPB (lines per beat) to match the OSS setting. But that was easy.

My Athalon XP is one of the latter 32 bit CPUs and luckily supported SSE (an Intel specification) , I wonder if this has something to do with this success.

Then again I'm not trying to have full vocals and play guitar all stored in the mod file like did in OSS, well you could on Amiga! Who was going to stop me? :lol:

I have not pulled the trigger yet and bought it but, I may...

@spihunter Yep runs on Macs... with dual core it should be very workable.

Also just played some .mod files from an Amiga CU cdrom, an those played well too. It has some "Amiga/FT2" compatibility mode setting, that it switched on when it loaded these and my old mod.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:32:01 PM by TheGoose »

I\'m on Google +

Offline spihunter

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »
Dude, why don't you trade me that indivision for a 3ghz Coreduo 4gb or ram PC that I have sitting here doing nothing?. You could run Renoise and I get screen solution for my A1200.

Quote from: TheGoose;605130
Ohh noo this is terrible, I think my days of OSS may be numbered. I just converted and old mod to .mod (protracker), swithced the time to BMP in OSS and saved. Brought it over to RN and it worked perfectly.

I had to manually set the LPB (lines per beat) to match the OSS setting. But that was easy.

My Athalon XP is one of the latter 32 bit CPUs and luckily supported SSE (an Intel specification) , I wonder if this has something to do with this success.

Then again I'm not trying to have full vocals and play guitar all stored in the mod file like did in OSS, well you could on Amiga! Who was going to stop me? :lol:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;605130
Ohh noo this is terrible, I think my days of OSS may be numbered. I just converted and old mod to .mod (protracker), swithced the time to BPM in OSS and saved. Brought it over to RN and it worked perfectly.

Also just played some .mod files from an Amiga CU cdrom, an those played well too. It has some "Amiga/FT2" compatibility mode setting, that it switched on when it loaded these and my old mod.

You should install ASIO4ALL for best performance and stability.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline spihunter

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:53:53 PM »
Hey Goose,

Have you tried this one?

http://openmpt.org/

It's free so could be an interesting alternative.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
No, but I'll look at it. Looks lightweight too. Let me know when your A1200 gets here, I'll pull the Indivision for you, 75.00.

You know, I found this weekend I have one of these RGB adapters too, I've never used it:
http://www.amigamaniac.com/RGB_to_PAL_NTSC_adapter.html

I\'m on Google +

Offline spihunter

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
Yea, Its only 1mb!. That's some Amiga style programming right there.

How well of a picture do you get from the RGB-S-video adaptor?

Quote from: TheGoose;605376
No, but I'll look at it. Looks lightweight too. Let me know when your A1200 gets here, I'll pull the Indivision for you, 75.00.

You know, I found this weekend I have one of these RGB adapters too, I've never used it:
http://www.amigamaniac.com/RGB_to_PAL_NTSC_adapter.html

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »
I've always shunned trackers for "proper" sequencers, but you got me interested in Renoise so I downloaded the 64bit demo last night.

I'm impressed, very impressed! It's quite fun. :)

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
The s-video looks pretty sharp in in Hi-res laced. But Like I say I have not actually tried this one out still in a shipping bag. And the screen size was usable with OSS for 4 tracks.

I'll hook it up tonight and let you know...

I\'m on Google +

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;605384
I've always shunned trackers for "proper" sequencers, but you got me interested in Renoise so I downloaded the 64bit demo last night.

I'm impressed, very impressed! It's quite fun. :)

They made some nice screen-casts for newbies, it's not hard to use a tracker...can be pretty fun, experimental. You don't always know what your making...

I\'m on Google +