Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is anyone making Duke Nukem amiga port??  (Read 5048 times)

Description:

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
Re: Is anyone making Duke Nukem amiga port??
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2003, 03:54:10 PM »
i saw it running smooth on an early Pentium 75.  Didnt it use the same pseudo-3D system as Doom?

As for Quake - you can pick up an N64 with Quake II for £20 these days  :-)

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2003, 04:04:20 PM »
Didnt it use the same pseudo-3D system as Doom?

Nope!
Duke3D uses a game engine called "Build" AFAIK.
It's the same engine that is used in Shaddow warrior, Blood, Terminal velocity, and coutless other games.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Arney

• Show only replies by Arney
    • http://www.aroeland.dds.nl
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2003, 04:30:28 PM »
I used to play DN3D on my 80486 100 Mhz. on the highest rosolution, and it worked perfectly.  I think it should work on an 040.  It even runs on a Gameboy Advance now  :-D

The multiplayer mode is just great. I used to play it with friends all the time.
I wish there was  a knob on the TV to turn up
the intelligence. There\\\'s a knob called
\\"brightness\\",  but it doesn\\\'t work.

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2003, 07:22:48 PM »
I remember having a GL Duke long ago when Voodoo cards owned everything else ;) a 3DFX patch was madee to hardware accelerate the game.

Still waiting for an Amiga port of GL Rott, ,the source being somewhere on sorceforge ..hint hint . :)

In the meantime, iIbelive the Doomsday engine is now GPL, so we could have a GL Doom at least which is pretty much complete :)

Matt
------

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »

whabang wrote:
Didnt it use the same pseudo-3D system as Doom?

Nope!
Duke3D uses a game engine called "Build" AFAIK.
It's the same engine that is used in Shaddow warrior, Blood, Terminal velocity, and coutless other games.

Hi all, finally made it here today :-D

Your basic Duke Nukem3D engine was AFAIK a custom job made my 3DRealms. It stood way ahead of Doom in the following respects

1) Its map architecture supported overlapping zones (similar to upper / lower rooms in alien breed 3d / tkg)

2) The map structure allowed sloping walls and floors. I'm not sure if it was a full 3D bsp structure in the style of Quake, but it was certianly more developed than the pure 2D bsp structure of Doom.

3) Movable sections of the map were not restricted to simple up/down doors / lifts. You could have moving platforms, horizontal, vertical, rotating rooms, you name it.

4) You could have mirrors ;-)

5) You could damage almost anything :-D

6) The viewport supported limited z-axis rotation (sideways tilt or roll), as well as x-axis rotation (look up/down or pitch). Was used to great effect in earthquake effects or when you got too close to an explosion or demolishing building.

7) There was a limited degree of coloured lighing rather than the brightness only effects of Doom. Quake didn't even get this until Quake 2 :-)

8) It used a simple scripting language for all the behaviour of objects, weapons, monters etc. that was compiled by the engine at load time. This feature is what allowed the Duke3D engine to be a game engine in the true sense and gave the fantastic interactivity that made it such great fun to play. Whilst not quite as advanced as QuakeC and its accompanying virtual machine, the code (in script form) was just as portable, so conversions could still 'run anywhere' the engine did. By contrast, Doom used tables to match entities up with sets of pre-defined behaviours (similar to the idea in TKG's game linker).

9) It had a rotating map (like TKG) that even supported texturing to give a kind of top-down 3D view of the game..

10) Duke Nukem 3D was utterly hysterical :-)
int p; // A

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2003, 07:07:00 AM »
I have to admit, I did find DukeNukem 3d pretty refreshing. Little did I know that this is where gaming would stagnate for the next half decade. Anyways, I don't feel a port to A1 would get good reception. A remaster on the other hand might. But then again, that costs money.. like all things.

Seriously though, this game has seen better days. Lets just move on.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline utri007Topic starter

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2003, 08:04:28 AM »
Duke is old but is one of all time classiks. My amiga is old but i like it so i like to play duke with my amiga

simply

There is too few games for 040/060

Think amiga is old duke is old, perfect match
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline whabang

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2003, 08:22:43 AM »

utri007 wrote:
Duke is old but is one of all time classiks. My amiga is old but i like it so i like to play duke with my amiga

simply

There is too few games for 040/060

Think amiga is old duke is old, perfect match

He's got a point... :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2003, 08:24:17 AM »
...Not only that, but an optimised 040 port od Duke would seriously fly under Amithlon, eh Whabang? :-D
int p; // A

Offline whabang

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2003, 08:34:06 AM »

Karlos wrote:
...Not only that, but an optimised 040 port od Duke would seriously fly under Amithlon, eh Whabang? :-D

Oh, yeah! :-D

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2003, 09:58:58 AM »
In reply to Karlos, Duke Nukem used the build engine yes.  Blood used the lithtech engine which was in fact a source port of Build.  I am a member of the doom community, and all the fuss of the released source of Duke has lead the fans of Jdoom (which is a source port of Doom) into porting duke over to it, and is relativly possible using the limitless engine of Jdoom.
Jdoom is:

* Open Gl rendered/3dfx supported full high resolution and windows native engine
* Slopes, true 3d support, md2/3 model support
* Endless dll modding and DED files, scripting
* Sprite lighting system like in Alien breed that karlos mentioned
* Mp3, mod, ogg sound music support

The amiga users in the community are already porting Jdoom to amiga so perhaps Duke nukem TC would also be considered.
Just thought Id mention this news, because it is Duke Nukem, but ported to todays standards.  So any fans would probly be interested.

Heretic Out. :-P

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2003, 10:06:44 AM »
@the_heretic

He, he..I see you keep an eye out here matey. I figured you may flame my ass for suggesting Duke was better than Doom - but of course I am speaking from a point of personal preference.

How's the Hellmouth mod coming on?

Pity I never got around to uploading my TKG or Quake1 mods anywhere...

-edit-

I thought the lithtech engine was entirely the work monolith? Anyhow, I thought it was Blood2 that used it - I seem to recall Blood looking very Duke like, but may be wrong...

Hmm, Rouge ought to know the answer to the first part :-D
int p; // A

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2003, 10:12:15 AM »
Hey geeza, ya the Projects coming on sweet thanks.  Compiling some cool scripts and behaviour modules, and Ive decided to use C++ for the launcher instead of VB.  Heh, so thats 10 years xperience out the window, and in with the 4 week expeirince of C.  No matter, my coder knows C pretty well, and Fscript has the procedures of C so Im coping.  (no longer bitch about the use of braces  :-D )

Starting to implement my own modded codec for the intro movie, although I best keep my nose out of it and let my coder deal.  Heh.

See u round dude. ;-)

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2003, 10:14:43 AM »
Well Jdoom is the answer.  And matt is correct, and the latest dll mod allows the fake 3d floors to become true 3d (Rendering extra flats without HOM)
I been fooling with it and its pretty sweet  :-D

EDIT:  I forget to quote  :-D  Matt refered to the doomsday engine going GPL.
Plus lithtech is its own, but im sure they built on build base whcih was a boon.  (say that fast)
A good point about it was their advanced mobj and poly objects, which could make swinging doors solid rather than textures.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2003, 10:22:59 AM »
Im not sure but we we may have a wee problem..

DLL's aren't exactly portable  - theyre pretty much a windows technology (linux can also use them I think). The amiga uses a different type of shared library that is rather different from a dll so you can't just do a trivial code recompile.

Hyperion had to come up with their own dll format(as I recall) to port Heretic II (modified Quake2 engine).

Even then, all the dll mods available for the quake2 engine had to be individually recompiled to use them with the amiga port of the engine (and the mac port, too).
int p; // A

« Reply #29 from previous page: April 09, 2003, 10:35:02 AM »

Karlos wrote:
Im not sure but we we may have a wee problem..

DLL's aren't exactly portable  - theyre pretty much a windows technology (linux can also use them I think). The amiga uses a different type of shared library that is rather different from a dll so you can't just do a trivial code recompile.

Hyperion had to come up with their own dll format(as I recall) to port Heretic II (modified Quake2 engine).

Even then, all the dll mods available for the quake2 engine had to be individually recompiled to use them with the amiga port of the engine (and the mac port, too).

Well that will be the DED file I referred to, sorry for spoiling the flow with unsupported reference to MICROSLOF produce.  I just tried a ded that lets you duck.  Nice. :-P  ;-)
There aint nothing dynamic about a dll.  Caution : Portin this to amiga could cause serious degeneration.  Continue?  N/N?