Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FYI: Grass not so green on the other side  (Read 4317 times)

Description:

Offline DavePTopic starter

• Show only replies by DaveP
Re: FYI: Grass not so green on the other side
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2003, 04:17:01 PM »
Folks, the link that Bill was talking about is on Morphos-news.de
and not ANN ( which is where I went looking for it )

Bill clarifies his position
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2003, 05:41:28 PM »
I'll not drag the whole tedious lot of a posting I made on ANN into here, but I am going to paste a section that I think relevant:

"Frankly I think Mikey060 was putting his/her foot in it even months ago with incessant complaining on #morphos. I thought there was a problem in the making because I saw NO PATIENCE, and no wish to understand that many other developers were also waiting to get machines. It seemed like escalating demands would eventually become intolerable and felt that the situation would probably become a public problem due to poor communication skills and a mouth that said FEED ME without thinking of others. But enough of that..."

Hopefully my sig will show where some of my sympathies lie, though it perhaps cannot share how I came believe what I believe ;  }   At any rate, best to all.
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2003, 06:48:31 PM »
You can say what you will, but the posts on morphos.de make a very vivid impression of a CEO turned shoolchild in my mind.

Child 1- Can I play with your new soccer ball?

Child 2- Sure come over here, and give me some money  (child 1 comes over and hand over cash, and afterward child 2 ignores him..."nanananah I'm not listening")

Child 1- You said I could play

Child 2- I never said you could play, go away.  

Child 1- Come on, I paid you to let me play

Child 2- No you didn't, it's my ball and I don't EVER want you to play with it.  GO AWAY!  I don't want anything to do with YOU or ANYONE who thinks like you.  

Ok, very over simplified, but some clear things come to mind when reading the whole nausiating story on morphos.de.  Glad I'm not a Pegasos/Morphos customer.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2003, 08:00:29 PM »
@Herewegoagain

Would be more accurate if child 1 ran home to get money, but when he got back child 2 had gone home with the ball, as 060 there did not pay for a board in time to recieve one of the last batch.   His payment will be returned once it arrives, which could be this week or next week, depending on the bank and how he excized the transfer.  

The expression when I sold cars was "the car you looked at today and are going to buy tomorrow is the car someone else saw yesterday and will buy today."  When opportunities present themselves, you must jump on them or else you will loose them.  Opportunity only knocks once, and then it's gone.  060's claiming foul, when he has only himself to blame.  Other developers and customers that jumped on the opportunity when presented have been rewarded with a pegasos.  
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2003, 09:03:14 PM »
surrounded by morons , nothing new and nothing old, will be the death of pegasos/amiga.

anyway nothing shocking here as i have heard alot more bad stuff, my only consern now is to stay focused and happy.

for genesi: GOOD luck with your way to the bottom.

Amigainc: public appearences is wise, suprise us.

soon there is ALT-WOA time again, and more meetings , i dont belive anything new will show up and i dont belive anything positive will happen until atleast may2003.
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2003, 09:34:50 PM »
We believe we can be the real and long awaited -- NeXT if we can do that -- think about that in terms of the Pegasos and MorphOS of course...;-)

Okay, so he aspires to make MorphOS/Pegasos the then big publicly touted failed platform and to some day run Apple.
It's like aspiring to be the next BEOS...

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2003, 09:57:55 PM »
Well.. it could be worse.. I think.  A lot is seen in month or so. Cebit is soon and there are lot of promices made by companies involved to these products.

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2003, 10:01:21 PM »
The expression when I sold cars was "the car you looked at today and are going to buy tomorrow is the car someone else saw yesterday and will buy today." When opportunities present themselves, you must jump on them or else you will loose them. Opportunity only knocks once, and then it's gone. 060's claiming foul, when he has only himself to blame. Other developers and customers that jumped on the opportunity when presented have been rewarded with a pegasos.

You miss the point.  For the CEO of a company to talk to a potential customer in public forums this way is in my opinion completely unacceptable.  It doesn't matter if 060 responded as instructed or if Bill likes him or not.  It should have never come down to what it did.  Bill Buck should have handled the matter in private email, or better still, have someone with proper public relation skills do the job for him.  
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline machinehead

• Show only replies by machinehead
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2003, 11:00:29 PM »
You are right on target, Herewegoagain!
To think that ANY CEO who would post on a public forum is CRAZY!
WTF was he thinking?
Does he want to continue his career as a CEO by posting schite on the internet?
Make some products, let us buy them. KISS.
(An American saying for Keep It Simple Stupid!)

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2003, 12:17:14 AM »
You miss the point. For the CEO of a company to talk to a potential customer in public forums this way is in my opinion completely unacceptable.
Absolutely.  I made some negative comments towards Mr. Buck on ann a few days ago and he actually emailed me asking me why I reacted the way I did.  I tried to explain to him pretty much what you said above, but I got the feeling that it didn't really sink in.

The funny thing is, if he really had an issue with a particular person he should have dealt with him/her in private email instead of making an ass of himself in public.  Why he chose to email me in private is beyond me...  perhaps he's a slow learner?!?

Although it's kinda neat to see big names in the community participating on public forums, I think people who have entire companies on the line should know better and are expected to act responsibly.  Although I welcome their presence in the forums I think they should put more effort into releasing company and product info in a more professional manner then just getting knee deep in some flamefest on some random forum.  Issue press releases, FAQs, photos and hold interviews with respected journalists.  Do NOT go onto public forums and confront, insult or threaten individuals as it strips away all credibility.  I don't think I could make it any clearer then this.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Herewegoagain

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2003, 12:39:59 AM »
Absolutely. I made some negative comments towards Mr. Buck on ann a few days ago and he actually emailed me asking me why I reacted the way I did. I tried to explain to him pretty much what you said above, but I got the feeling that it didn't really sink in.

Well, I've already recieved my 2 PM's from him.  To put it bluntly, he thinks I'm a "jerk" and a "coward".  Ok by me... name calling just re-affirms what I already thought.  I was actually worried about Thendic/Genesi/Bplan being too much competition for Amiga at one point.  Those feelings are now laid to rest.  If they (Amiga/Hyperion/Eyetech) get new product out the door, I'm there.

Shame really.

@Machinehead

I told Chris to hold your order and you would come pick it up.  Let me know when you are coming by, as I go out of shop alot to customer sites.  I can leave money with him or one of the guys in the shop if I can't be there.

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2003, 12:51:08 AM »
If I had wanted to spread FUD it would have been a News Item saying "Dont trust GENESI!" but given that this is not my opinion nor a credible conclusion to come to please go ahead and ascribe motives to me in order to discredit not only my reporting of an interesting link but also me in the future.

I think if you just wanted to give a heads up to people here about something on ann.lu, you wouldn't have titled the thread "FYI: Grass not so green on the other side." This isn't reporting, it's editorializing. I'm sure you can see the difference. Of course you can disingenuously argue with me about what you're motives were; I can only respond with an observation of your actions. If you want to "report" and have your posts taken as reports, then reflect journalistic principles. Keep in mind, of course, that even journalists and organizations have their biases and alert readers take them into consideration when evaluating what they read.

-- gary_c

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2003, 01:37:11 AM »
Hey guys.
You know what. Sometime ago I had the drive to go through the long threads and read some posts, sometimes the whole thread.
But now I just don't give a rats ass anymore. Boring. And I don't think there are many people with the patience I have. Well at least to Amiga related things. The impression I have, sorry don't mean to ofend anyone, is that if you're still gonna go through all that day after day, you need to get a life! No problems happen to everyone, the hard part is to admit it. I'm not targetting this to DaveP by the way:), nor to anyone, you guys know who you are. Hmm maybe I need to get a life too :-D
Just thought I'd use the possibility of staying anonomous that the net gives you, to share something more profound (?) with you, take it more or less as a F* joke... :-D
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2003, 01:41:45 AM »
Although it's kinda neat to see big names in the community participating on public forums

It's more than neat, its what a lot of us want.  I'm not sure I agree with Bill's strategy entirely, or if I even understand all of it.

But I do know the difference between his motivations and mine.  His motivations are his business.  What I want from a CEO is for them to listen to what I have to say.

And for gosh sakes, also want them to do exactly what I tell them at all times.

That last one has been a little more elusive, but one step at a time!

It sounds to me, like you don't want CEO's to talk with you, I can only speculate why, so I wont....but for some reason you are really objecting to it, and the only reasons you give are in terms of Bill's interests and not in terms of yours.....interesting.

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2003, 02:05:11 AM »
It sounds to me, like you don't want CEO's to talk with you,
huh?!?  What was it that I said that made you come to that conclusion?!?  I'm just saying that if they decide to talk with us they must remember that they are not just anyone and have a higher level of responsibility with the things that they post on an open forum.  Sure, Bill and any other Bill may and should participate at some level in the community as it's important to stay in touch.  However staying in touch doesn't mean to figurativly reach out and punch someone, especially if that someone is a potential customer in a community full of potential customers.

So yes, someone like Buck should participate in the forums but if he feels a need to make a statement about his company or products then he should consider a more formal avenue.  If he feels there's a gross misunderstanding in the community then address it in a more formal PR release or offer an interview with some tech-journalist and not waste time attacking individual members.

You do realize that companies hire PR people to handle the public's concerns and to avoid situations like the one Buck got himself into.  Buck might want to consider being more careful in what he says and how he says it if he intends to post on public forums, and that's all I'm really saying.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline DavePTopic starter

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 12, 2003, 08:10:23 AM »
@Gary

Look I even said that I dont consider myself
a reporter, or a journalist so tactics that work on
Mike Bouma do not work on me.

You do know what the title of this is paraphrased
from dont you?

"Grass is greener on the other side"

Nowhere do I say it is less green on the other side.

I think you are just trying to discredit me. Which is
your right but this:

Of course you can disingenuously argue with me

Suggests that if I argue with you I am being disingenuous. Which is a childish stance for you to take. Ive seen better debating tactics from 14 year
olds in a playground. Sure they might stumble over
the length of the words you use but the import
is the same.

The fact that you go to the length of choosing to
misnterpret the TITLE ( because as I pointed out there is nothing in the body or my words that could allow you to ascribe motives to me like this )  shows
your desperation to discredit.

In fact your are placing your own meaning and motive on your interpretation of the title
"editorialising" it for your own purpose.

But hey, Ive long gone past expecting anything different from you  having seen how you reacted
on this and one other thread. :-D

I wonder if you would post a story on here about
a row in the Amiga* "communities" with the motives
you are trying to credit to me? I wonder if in fact
the motives you ascribe to me are actually what your
motives would be in my situation?

Nah. You are just lashing out because you are feeling
frustrated and Im a convenient target.  :-)
Hate figure. :lol: