Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: bash Windows 8  (Read 2517 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
Re: bash Windows 8
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 05:59:40 AM »
I run linux for most things but I still dual boot windows on a couple of machines.

Mostly, I use windows for games and just a few apps (like video editing) that are still lacking in linux.

Many linux enthusiasts realize that games, video apps and a few things are lacking on linux. Looks like those things are starting to be addressed lately and I'm hopeful for the day I will no longer have to reboot.

Still, probably will have to to run some windows games.

Wintendo in full effect for the near future...

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 07:21:55 AM »
My wife's new laptop came with Windows 8. Ugh is all I have to say. She hates it, I hate it. Feels like a giant kludge. Sure I could install classic shell this, etc., but I'm not one who likes to have to customize my OS much for it to be ready to work with. Hell I don't even like installing programs on my computer unless I am absolutely have to.

Several months ago my Vista laptop started flaking out after Microsoft auto-updated some patch onto it that screwed Windows up. Seeing the writing on the wall that I REALLY do not like where Windows is going, I put Linux Mint on a USB stick and booted from that. I've been running it off the USB stick ever since - no real need to even install, all I ever really do on this laptop is browse the internet and edit documents and all my data is on an NAS. Really quite surprised how well this setup is working, certainly makes A LOT MORE SENSE than Windows 8.x.

I still have a desktop PC running Windows 7 that I need to use for work (Visual Studio). No complaints about Windows 7, just hate the hell out of Windows 8. It flaked out too with the same update Microsoft auto updated on it. Had to revert the updates until I was back in business and wait a few months to take new updates that fixed their screw up. Laptop Vista works again after recent updates but I still run Mint 100% of the time on it.

I have to say I've actually been happy with Windows since Windows 95 to Windows 7. I really have no historical hatred of Windows in general. As of Windows 8 however Microsoft has lost me as a customer. I'll be using Linux from here on out unless they fix the mess they have made. Not that it really matters to them, whatever computer I buy will still probably come with Windows installed so they get the $$$ anyway.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;760773
Every version of Windows since XP and before Windows 7... hmmm... I wonder what that could have been....

Well, I guess that was a pretty pointless point.
But no matter how bad Win8 might be, it can't top Vista.

Most crash prone POS I've ever used.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;760773
Every version of Windows since XP and before Windows 7... hmmm... I wonder what that could have been....

Windows 98?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;760785
Windows 98?

I still use a boot CD of Win98SE to flash video cards.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;760782

I can't say I experienced the same.

I have two machines that are on Vista Business SP 2( they came with SP 1), and other than the boot time taking abut 20 seconds longer than Win 7, they're virtually identical performance and stability wise as my Win 7 laptop.

Pre SP1, Vista was unfinished, 3rd party drivers were lacking (especially video and sound) and there were some file copy issues.  The other problems was the aggressive indexing, and the on by default  defrag.

Hardware wise old machines lacked enough RAM.  New machines had a lot of crapware- when first turned on Vista tried to index all of the files, thrashing the drive and killing performance.

There are guides out there that let you tweak Vista and drastically improve performance.

I'll be using the Vista machines till I can't get MS updates and Vista is EOL.

No reason not to.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;760789
I can't say I experienced the same.

I have two machines that are on Vista Business SP 2( they came with SP 1), and other than the boot time taking abut 20 seconds longer than Win 7, they're virtually identical performance and stability wise as my Win 7 laptop.

Pre SP1, Vista was unfinished, 3rd party drivers were lacking (especially video and sound) and there were some file copy issues.  The other problems was the aggressive indexing, and the on by default  defrag.

Hardware wise old machines lacked enough RAM.  New machines had a lot of crapware- when first turned on Vista tried to index all of the files, thrashing the drive and killing performance.

There are guides out there that let you tweak Vista and drastically improve performance.

I'll be using the Vista machines till I can't get MS updates and Vista is EOL.

No reason not to.

Except for experimenting with DX10 video cards, I could find no utility in it.
Slow, bloated, buggy.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;760782

LOL.  Exactly.

Mind you, Vista became a lot more stable when the final service pack came out, but by then you could get Windows 7.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 05:52:06 PM »
Why reboot rather than a VM?  I find that even Core i5's are sufficiently fast to handle a VM for modern games and other video intensive apps.

Quote from: haywirepc;760780
I run linux for most things but I still dual boot windows on a couple of machines.

Mostly, I use windows for games and just a few apps (like video editing) that are still lacking in linux.

Many linux enthusiasts realize that games, video apps and a few things are lacking on linux. Looks like those things are starting to be addressed lately and I'm hopeful for the day I will no longer have to reboot.

Still, probably will have to to run some windows games.

Wintendo in full effect for the near future...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline pyrre

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;760679
A Linux install goes flawlessly and has all the drivers I need. The only thing it can't do yet is play DirectX games. Half of which crash while playing anyway.
Not to my experience. I remeber my linux experiences as a time spent scrolling down page after page to find any solutions to my problems...
Or just to add new features to the os.
On windows machines i have rarely had the necessity to read page after page of forum sites to find any solutions. And if i had to, it have always been well documented.

Still have Windows 7 and XP plus a USB stick full of drivers that have to be installed.
Plus all the DRM. e.g. If you want to play a DVD, Microsoft directs you to a commercial software link. Even though there are free versions.
That is one annoying thing. the need for drivers. but then again. you just install it once. Or if you use custom install software it will do it for you.
I have never seen anything to the DRM stuff people are talking about.
i use mediaplayer classic. The hardware though, I have had to sett the zone on my DVD-rom manually once. Just sett it to zone-free-mode (in lack of better words) and it has never bothered me again.

Windows was fine for office environments, but I don't think it is good enough as a consumer OS.
Not just that. If you go for the "Home" editions you may experience som difficulties. I always go for enterprise or ultimate editions.
Just a little tweaking, installing custom drivers and I'm done.
I'm no programmer, im not a hacker i just want to enjoy a clean system that i can enjoy playing my games, watching some movies or tv series and just simply works. Windows is that to me.
I still have some computers running XP, but my main system is a W7  machine. it runs like a Swiss clock, and i have never had any glitch  with it.
Not even a blue screen.
Amiga 1200 Tower Os 3.9
BPPC 603e+ 040-25/200, 256MBram, BVIsionPPC, Indivision AGA MK2.
Amiga 2000 (rev 4.0) Os 1.2/1.3
2088 bridgeboard, 2MB ram card, 2091 SCSI.
Amiga 500+ Os 2.1
Derringer 030, 32MBram, Buddha in sidecar, Indivision ECS.
Amiga CD32
Video decoder

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 11:52:31 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;760798
LOL.  Exactly.

Mind you, Vista became a lot more stable when the final service pack came out, but by then you could get Windows 7.

Well of course you could.  Vista was a lame duck by then, and they couldn't really call it Vista SP3, which is what Win 7 basically is.  Pretty much everything, including drivers, that works with Vista will work pretty much identically on 7.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;760825
Well of course you could.  Vista was a lame duck by then, and they couldn't really call it Vista SP3, which is what Win 7 basically is.  Pretty much everything, including drivers, that works with Vista will work pretty much identically on 7.

I expect Windows 9 will be Windows 8.x with all of functions people want back by default and with a "theme" option for Metro and full screen, touch sensitive apps.  In other words, Windows 8.2.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 01:20:53 AM »
They probably do need to separate the Modern desktop and the Classic desktop.  I personally don't like the flop up windows ball formerly known as start, but I guess it's a matter of taste.  If it's a non-server Linux box (I never put a gui on a server) I flip the task bar to the top and install a dock.  I did that with Windows too (object dock is cool).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 01:55:26 AM »
8.1 Update 1 will return a lot of the missing desktop features we're still left having to patch with third party apps at the moment.

Due about the same time XP support expires, first week of April or so.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »
Quote from: Duce;760832
8.1 Update 1 will return a lot of the missing desktop features we're still left having to patch with third party apps at the moment.

Due about the same time XP support expires, first week of April or so.

Great, maybe they can stop sending me those updates.
Hey, stopping support around April 1st?
Are they sure they are finally doing this?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 16, 2014, 10:37:41 PM »