Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shadow of the Beast T-Shirt Manufacturer / Authenticity  (Read 663 times)

Description:

Offline Beast96GTTopic starter

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
Shadow of the Beast T-Shirt Manufacturer / Authenticity
« on: January 04, 2017, 10:14:05 PM »
I was sold a SOTB T-Shirt and told it was an original, but I'm starting to have my doubts.  The tag was certainly really old, but it doesn't look like a few of the others I've seen in pictures.  This shirt has a "Screen Stars" tag and says it was made in Ireland, but some of the pictures I've seen with the game just show a generic "100% Cotton XL".  

Does anyone here have a legit SOTB T-Shirt, or can shed some light?   Thanks!

-Chris

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: Shadow of the Beast T-Shirt Manufacturer / Authenticity
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:30:35 AM »
IIRC, all boxed Psygnosis original T-Shirts came in XL size. It should have a mark on at least one label saying that. 100% Cotton could be right too.

They have been copied many many times, with various labels. I never had one, but I've certainly seen a few. :)

The artwork is particularly awesome on that issue, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I could not be sure. Some counterfeiters go to a lot of trouble, the original artist or someone with access to it could have re-issued the work (happens sometimes, deals run out of time).

If "Screen Stars" got the rights to the game as a budget title, they could have reissued it, I guess. That would make it a Psygnosis T shirt, but not an orignal one. But a legal clone. Not a bootleg.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:36:31 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline paul1981

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
From reading this I think your T-shirt is not a bootleg at all...no it's a T-shirt!

http://dustfactoryvintage.com/screen-stars-about-the-label/

Read the Beatles T-shirt comment too, as theirs was made in Ireland...and an expert in their field wreckons it was made in the 80's. All in all I think your T-shirt is authentic, but then again I've only spent a couple of minutes researching it. :)

Offline Beast96GTTopic starter

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I ran across several of the same websites and pictures as you guys.  I think it will go nicely with the box, but if I ever sell it I'll still let them know that I can't be 100% positive it's a shirt that came with the game.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:52:24 AM »
On a similar note, anyone got recommendations for a source for good knock-off's? The 100 USD they're asking on EBay for maybe-originals is a bit too much.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:33:13 AM »
Quote from: odin;819590
On a similar note, anyone got recommendations for a source for good knock-off's? The 100 USD they're asking on EBay for maybe-originals is a bit too much.

DIY. No resale, no crime, and you can even get the labels correct, if you are really that anal about memoribilia being accurate.

Fact is, all the originals have been washed bare by now. They weren't looking that healthy by 1995 unless you kept them in the box. Even with non-bleach washing agents.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi