Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kubuntu Adivce  (Read 5411 times)

Description:

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Kubuntu Adivce
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Three quick questions......

1)  Does anyone use this,  what are the pros and cons over ubuntu
2) Is anyone using the latest 11.04 Version.
3) Has anyone tried the PPC version on Mac, any issues to be aware of ?  Ubuntu seems to work fine on Mac, but any firsthand experience of Kubuntu would be good.

Thanks
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Kubuntu Adivce
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »
Are you asking about ubuntu compared to other Linux distros like Suse or Red Hat?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
No as I have used ubuntu.  I am asking about the Kubuntu dist versus the plain ubuntu dist as they seem a bit different.

Specfically the latest version and running the PPC version on a Mac mini.

Thought that was pretty clear to be honest
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »
I haven't used Kubuntu since the KDE 3.5 days.  I assume you like KDE 4.X, and thus the want for Kubuntu?  As for differences between the two, really its only the DE and packages installed to support them, otherwise they are the same.  On the current version, I have heard that there are problems with Kubuntu, although I don't have the specifics -- I run Arch and XFCE for my DE.

The PPC versions I have never tried.  I always understood Yellow Dog or Debian to be the most mature PPC versions (and by mature i mean supported).

I personally would avoid the Ubuntu until they get their Unity/Big switchover issues dealt with.  If you need a stable linux for work/whatever, go with Debian PPC or Yellow Dog.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
If you want to use KDE I recommend Opensuse 11.4 as Kubuntu has a borked implementation of KDE.

http://opensuse.org
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
I use Kubuntu. I've mostly used karmic and Lynx. I'd just recently updated to Meerkat (10.10), had that installed for a month or so before doing the Natty (11.04) udpate. Don't have a lot of time in for Meerkat, and have only booted Natty once I think so far. All that has been used inside of Virtualbox on my PC laptop.

I like it, and I prefer KDE to Gnome. I haven't really ever used Gnome, but on the occasions that for some reason I end up with that on my laptop screen instead of KDE, I don't know my way around it and have to fumble my way through getting KDE back.

I haven't seen Firefox4 come in yet, I'm looking forward to that. I use Eclipse in there, and am trying to set up with FPGA tools to play with Minimig and such things in there. Have been searching for as much free and/or open EDA stuff as I can find, and have the DenX ELDK compiler set up. Also use Eagle PCB a bit in there, though I wish I had known about KiCad before I paid for the pro Eagle license.

KpackageKit is kindof flaky. Use apt-get from commandline or get Synaptic for usual software getting/updating.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Cammy

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:35:32 PM »
I've been running Ubuntu and Kubuntu for a few years now, with Ubuntu as my regular PC OS and Kubuntu as an experimental toy more than anything. With the release of Ubuntu 11.04 and the move to Unity I've switched to using Kubuntu as my main PC OS, and Ubuntu is getting wiped off. Unity just slows down the usage of the computer, I was able to switch between and launch tasks far quicker with a task bar and drop-down menus for apps instead of this terribly simplified tablet-style crap. Not to mention they got rid of scrollbars in Gnome so you have to make sure every window is in focus before you can attempt to grab the (non-proportional) scrollbar that appears when you hover over the area long enough for it to pop up near your pointer. I've probably accidently launched LibreOffice about ten times when I only meant to quickly switch to another program with the dock/taskbar (which takes a few seconds to appear and disappear every time you use it).

Ubuntu has become an abomination, but Kubuntu has matured and taken the lead. Although I will always prefer drop-down menus to select my applications rather than a "Start" menu, I still prefer this over the stupid tablet-style interface of Unity, which doesn't even present all available applications and settings anymore, and the only way to find many of them is to click in the Search bar and start searching for it. I could probably write a book on all the things that make Unity and Gnome inefficient and illogical, but the kids won't listen of course. To them if it's new, it must be better than anything that came before it.

Kubuntu is pretty nice looking too, and it seems to be more configurable than the Gnome-based Ubuntu. It reminds me a little of MorphOS.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »
A little tip for Debian/Ubuntu/Derivatives users, install the Liquorix kernel and watch your machine fly! :)

http://liquorix.net/
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
Ive been using Kubuntu for a while now, and I must say, I really enjoy KDE.

Its a lot more customizable compared to Gnome, and the plasma desktop is just a joy to use.

It also includes a full application suite, though of course you can install whatever apps you like in the end.

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »
I Don't really know the difference between KDE And Gnome , as I understand it there are just different desktops running on top of the linux kernerl ??

I have used ubuntu quite a lot on different machines.  However I managed to mess up the install on my laptop and it wouldnt boot.

I also updated to 11.04 at it froze at the end and left me with a non booting linux install.

I originally went for Ubuntu because I was led to believe it was the easiest and most user friendly version.

Have the other distros caught up.

Is red hat, yellow dog etc as easy to install, update and add appliactions etc, as windows ?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »
Quote from: JJ;637208
I Don't really know the difference between KDE And Gnome , as I understand it there are just different desktops running on top of the linux kernerl ??

Ah sorry!

Yes, they are basically just different user interfaces.

Im running 11.4. Its mostly solid, but I do get the occasional bug. Honestly, I'd check out Kubuntu 10.10 and just wait a month or so before updating.

Offline tone007

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;637205
With the release of Ubuntu 11.04 and the move to Unity I've switched to using Kubuntu as my main PC OS, and Ubuntu is getting wiped off. Unity just slows down the usage of the computer, I was able to switch between and launch tasks far quicker with a task bar and drop-down menus for apps instead of this terribly simplified tablet-style crap. Not to mention they got rid of scrollbars in Gnome so you have to make sure every window is in focus before you can attempt to grab the (non-proportional) scrollbar that appears when you hover over the area long enough for it to pop up near your pointer.

I agree, I was very happy with Ubuntu 10.10 but went to 11.04 thinking it would be great and was disappointed.  Nice to hear Kubuntu isn't the same, maybe I'll load that one up today.

Quote from: JJ
I also updated to 11.04 at it froze at the end and left me with a non booting linux install.

I had the same issue with two different laptops.  Very disappointing.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
This was my desktop that it crashed on.

Was in the middle of playing day of the tentacle and hadnt saved for awhile neither.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
Quote from: JJ;637208

I have used ubuntu quite a lot on different machines.  However I managed to mess up the install on my laptop and it wouldnt boot.

I originally went for Ubuntu because I was led to believe it was the easiest and most user friendly version.

Have the other distros caught up.

Is red hat, yellow dog etc as easy to install, update and add appliactions etc, as windows ?

In a word, yes.  If you are not beholden to any flavor of linux yet (and it doesn't sound as if you are), then a distro is a distro is a distro.

Now, having said that...:D

Some are more easy to install than others.  At the base end, yes it is just some bling running on top of the linux kernel, but there is a difference in how the Desktop Environments (which are currently: KDE, Gnome, XFCE, and LXDE) are handled between distros.  There is also a difference in how often they are updated to the latest and greatest, how "serious" they take "security", what is their default desktop environment, and how they package their software.  Ubuntu is based on debian, so the toolset is apt and the packages are .deb.  Yellow Dog, Suse, RHEL, Fedora, CentOS and some others use RPM, and the tools are probably yum or apt as well.  Dependency hell is largely a thing of the past, so the old debate of RPM vs DEB is pretty much null and void these days.  As for ease of installation of programs, it is pretty easy, assuming that you know what you are wanting.  Most installs should be done on a nice clean partition (always good to put your /home on its own partition for just such reasonings).

If you are/were an amigoid (seems a safe assumption :D ) you know the drill pretty good - RTFM, don't be afraid of mucking about a bit with configs, check their forums for specific issues for your specific hardware.  lspci, lsusb, ifconfig, etc.  Know the hardware you have and driver issues should be minimized.

For most people not wanting to "play around" and expect stability I would go with debian stable or CentOS.  For PPC I'd go with Yellow Dog (oldest and probably the best supported - it ONLY does PPC, as opposed to an afterthought).  Honestly, for the debian flavors these days, I much prefer Linux Mint over the standard Ubuntu.

If you want a very stable and very fast system built from the ground up (without compiling - sorry Gentoo!) then read up on Arch.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:07:40 PM by TheBilgeRat »

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 05:34:34 PM »
Debian Squeeze + Gnome with Openbox as WM. My netbook is now a lean mean surfing machine compared to when I had it struggling with Ubuntu.

Kubuntu is decent if you're a KDE man.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.