Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS3 - X-Box 360 - Nintendo Revolution  (Read 10028 times)

Description:

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
Re: PS3 - X-Box 360 - Nintendo Revolution
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 01:26:49 PM »
Wrong. But seen as this is piracy, we better not discuss any further.

I have an original gt4 copy here. So if I would like to make a backup it shouldn't be considered illegal.
I tried to burn a full gt4 dvd9 image with a dvd+r dual layer burner. It burned fine, but in the ps2 it always failed to load after the "copyright screen".
So i googled a bit and found out that this is because dvd+r dual layer discs are for Opposite Track Path recording while the original Gt4 disc is made using Parallel Track Path.
So either one would need a rip patch that makes it fit on a normal 4.5gb disc or dual layer discs(dvd-r?) that support ptp, which arent available yet iirc.

edit: anyway, gran turismo4 is well worth its money even if you buy it, its the best racing simulator out there on any platform

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 02:54:40 PM »
All the new systems look good but i bet not many people buy the nintendo there consoles always seem way to underpowered to compete .ps3 or the xbox would be the only consoles i would consider buying .The only thing that puts me off is the short life of the lasers they use in there drives and the blue screen of death wich early xboxes had.
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 04:22:59 PM »

I have an original gt4 copy here. So if I would like to make a backup it shouldn't be considered illegal.

Same here.. I'm a ps2 fan with over 350 games and bought GT4 becuase it's worth  every cent and it can't be copied!

I tried to burn a full gt4 dvd9 image with a dvd+r dual layer burner. It burned fine, but in the ps2 it always failed to load after the "copyright screen".

Exactly the same happened here, anyway, I can't read it even with my DMS4 modded PS2 with the DVD-DL patch of latest toxic bios.

So i googled a bit and found out that this is because dvd+r dual layer discs are for Opposite Track Path recording while the original Gt4 disc is made using Parallel Track Path.

So either one would need a rip patch that makes it fit on a normal 4.5gb disc or dual layer discs(dvd-r?) that support ptp, which arent available yet iirc.

Right, you should read ps2nfo.com.. there's a patch for the GT4 ISO that can make it readable on DL DVD discs even if your mod chip doesn't support it. I have NOT tested it myself though.

edit: anyway, gran turismo4 is well worth its money even if you buy it, its the best racing simulator out there on any platform

I've read that Forza Motorsport on the M$ console is good too, but I refuse to believe M$ can develop something *good*, so I Agree about GT4 ;-)

Cheers!

D.
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 04:37:44 PM »

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 05:00:17 PM »
Well trust me, it can be done (GT4 on DVD-R).

I own the original, and a backup copy that i use most day's.

PS2 games are too expensive to scratch. Most of my disks have never even been in the PS2.
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 11:20:27 PM »

neofree wrote:
Oh and how do you figure a GC is superior?  The PS2 has a higher graphics capabilities and can use DVD format.

Huh?  The GC's graphics capability completely outclass the PS2.  Also, you can buy the Panasonic Q instead of the Nintendo Gamecube to play DVDs and GC games.  Playing DVD's is not a major technological feat.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 11:38:07 PM »

amigamad wrote:
All the new systems look good but i bet not many people buy the nintendo there consoles always seem way to underpowered to compete.

Huh?
powerwise:
Xbox>GC>PS2
N64>PS1
SNES>SeGA Genesis/Masterdrive
NES>Atari 7800

PS3>Revolution>Xbox 360

Offline leirbag28Topic starter

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 12:59:46 AM »
@Amigamad
@lou_dias

Nintendo being underpowered is not always the right descrition.......sometimes Nintendo simply lacks features..essential ones such as CDROM and DVD playback..........no one wants to have to spend more money on a Panasonic Game Cube just to play DVD's like a PS2 or XBox (Required a remote)

Silly Silly Silly.

It is important to note......I was never ever satisfied with any game console ever till this day!......the only game system I have ever purchased was............YEP!

THE CD32!!!     Coolest freaking system packed with more features than any console ever!  with an SX32 of  course and FMV card :-)

The PS2 came the closest as its upgrade is very similar to the SX32.

I came close to buying one after the Linux Kit was released............my biggest question of all time is:

Why the Heck did they make WinUAE for X-Box instead of the PS2 first????

please dont tell me its more powerful.as I know that....but the PS2 is the more popular and the proper one to put it on.

it just makes more sence.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 02:11:56 AM »
Haha bunch of cheap arse sods lol i buy all my games and its nice to come home with something in your hand instead of some downloaded crap....
Just my opinion...
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 02:43:33 AM »
the ps2 IS the most powerfull.

however it IS the hardest to program.

just look at games like ghosthunter, primal, gt4, god of war, devil may cry 1 and 3... there are heaps of polished games.
what game has the best graphs on the xbox?

i dont know but i seen halo 1 and 2 and, to be frank, it looks  like ps1 graphics.

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 02:55:26 AM »
Seriously, there's quite a bit wrong with that post, but I'm not going to go into all of it.  Basically - You're right, the PS2 is the hardest to program for, and it is often not utilised fully.  However, looking at the specs, it's extremely underpowered compared to GC/Xbox, even just in pure CPU speed.  Its texturing capabilities are much lower, its audio output is nowhere near Xbox quality.  If the PS2 is so powerful, then why, even with all these brilliant programmers (Rockstar, SquareEnix etc) are 'Jaggies' so prevalent in many PS2 games?  And as for Halo 2 looking like PS1 graphics, well.....I think you need your eyes tested.  Halo 2 may not be up to the standard of HL2 or Doom 3, but I think it's safe to say it's in the top 10% of graphic quality for games released in the last 12 months on all platforms.  
Oh, btw, another point with the PS2 - why if it is so powerful are the Resident Evil 4 team having to practically halve the framerate, and drop all textures down to 16 bit instead of 24 as well as dropping the number of polys in the main character model to even get it to run on the PS2?  Obviously there are some great games on the PS2, but it was released a full year ahead of the Xbox or GC, and it's clear that it's simply not as powerful as the competition.  That may all change with the PS3 though  :lol:

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 03:05:07 AM »
what Darklight said.

---

To all those PS2 fanboys who use "backups" yet hate Xbox:

Bwahahahaa! You dumb b*st*rds!

M$ couldnt be happier that you're pirating Sony property!!!  Youre actually helping them weaken Sony revenue!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The worst thing you could do to M$ is to buy an Xbox, seeing as they lose money on each console...

-on topic-

Seeing as I have all this-gen consoles, I'll probably get all the next-gen consoles sooner or later.

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 04:01:32 AM »
@coldfish

Do you post at Atomic too?

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2005, 05:01:36 AM »
Looking at the "specs" i could never believe an amiga 500 could produce such fine graphically polished games like, flashback, superfrog... etc
and all those brilliant demos that exist.

looking at the specs is a bad idea.
because there are so many programming tricks out there.
youd be stupid to think otherwise.

the xbox is a peecee. and it is easy to program.
everyone has access to a peecee. thats why xbox is so popular.

but at 20 million consoles to 80million going sonys way
there are more smart people than dumb people it appears.

good thing the xbox 2 is not a peecee but a dedicated peice of hardware. but xbox sucks anyhow. billy is a poof.

oh and the guys heads in halo are not polygons they are squares. it;s so funny..

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2005, 06:39:44 AM »
@ Mikrucio

You're right, looking at the specs is a bad idea.  The Amiga 500 was capable (and still is) of more than most people would give it credit for, hence its popularity during its short lifespan.  However, if you look at the capabilities of the PS2 compared to the GC or the Xbox, it's simply not up to snuff.  I'm not an Xbox fanboy, I own both the GC and the Xbox, and have quite often considered buying a PS2, if only for the FF and GT series.  But simply stating the PS2 is the most powerful is quite ignorant and 'fanboyish' if I may say so.  The PS2 was released a full year (if not more, not sure of the dates, I think it was August 2001?) ahead of the GC and Xbox.  This lead, and its backwards compatibility with the PS1 games and hardware (controllers etc) led to the 80 million to 20 million figures you speak of.  Nobody in their right mind goes out to buy a PS2 for its hardware, they buy it for its games, and Sony has brilliant 3rd party support.  PS2 games look good, but take a look at a multi-platform game, and the PS2 will always come out worst, even though most of the time its developed on PS2 hardware and ported using Renderware, so your argument about the Xbox being easy to develop for is pretty much rendered (excuse the pun  :-D ) useless there.
The point is, all three consoles have their positives and negatives, so there's no point looking at hard evidence and swearing that exactly the opposite is true.
(BTW, your comments about Halo MUST be purely to start a flame war, because nobody is that blind.)

Anyway, go back to your trolling if you must  :lol:

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 19, 2005, 06:43:43 AM »
M$ couldnt be happier that you're pirating Sony property!!! Youre actually helping them weaken Sony revenue!

Well, at least for me, its not like I'm not also pirating M$ property  :-P