Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Floppy Drive support in Vista?  (Read 1056 times)

Description:

Offline kedawaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kedawa
Floppy Drive support in Vista?
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:23:15 AM »
I recently picked up a 3.5" floppy drive from a neighbour and installed it in my PC.  I figured it would be useful for checking out old floppies before I use them in my A500.
The problem is, it only seems to like HD floppies.  Even known good DS/DD floppies can't be read or formatted.  Is this a limitation with the floppy controller, the drive, or the OS?
I know that with 5.25" drives, vista will only work with 1.2MB disks/drives, and not the older 360KB ones.  I haven't been able to dig up any info about similar issues with 3.5" disks, though.

As an aside, I've been having fun trying out KolibriOS, MenuetOS and DexOS, and I was wondering if there were any other operating systems or games that boot from a single floppy that I should check out.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: Floppy Drive support in Vista?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:13:58 AM »
In Windows XP you had to format from the command line if you wanted to use 720K floppies (there was a command parameter you need to add to the command).

Windows XP itself would not allow you to do a fresh 720K format from its GUI, only from the command line.  I think it would allow you to re-format disks already formatted in 720K from the GUI, though.

Maybe it's a similar thing with Vista.

I'm sure Googling will let you know the answer to this one.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline kedawaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kedawa
Re: Floppy Drive support in Vista?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:26:46 AM »
Ah, you're right.  Now that I know what to look for, it was easy to find, and the info I needed was on an Amiga site to boot.

Format A: /T:80 /N:9

Now I just need to find a way of getting an old version of CrossDOS onto my Workbench disk.