Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Enhancer Upgrade with Radeon RX560/ x5000  (Read 4125 times)

Description:

Offline cpaek72Topic starter

• Show only replies by <s>cpaek72</s>
Enhancer Upgrade with Radeon RX560/ x5000
« on: November 16, 2018, 12:46:06 AM »
Just installed the new enhancer update and had a Radeon RX560 already in the house and tried installing it and right after you see the x5000 boot up screen, the screen wipes to a white screen and hangs.

Anyone update to the new Enhancer and try out any of the AMD cards supported? Any help would be appreciated. Do I have to update the bios? or will the new drivers from the enhancer update take care of everything.

Charles

Re: Enhancer Upgrade with Radeon RX560/ x5000
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:00:14 AM »
Well, I'm noticing the requirements say RX560(D). I have a the OC 4gb Asus Radeon 560.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:43:46 AM »
The RX 560 should work too. You might want to check that RadeonRX.chip is in your kicklayout (see SYS:Kickstart/Kicklayout).

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:03:40 AM »
Yeah, I thought so too. The D variant is just slightly slower..same card. So I looked inside the kickstart folder and the RadeonRX.chip is there. It's odd..

Offline Hans_

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 02:09:15 AM »
Yeah, I thought so too. The D variant is just slightly slower..same card. So I looked inside the kickstart folder and the RadeonRX.chip is there. It's odd..
Okay, but is it in the Kicklayout?

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:39:35 AM »
My bad, I thought kicklayout was a folder. I edited the ascii file and added RadeonRX.chip. Booted it up and still a white screen.

This is what it looks like now:
MODULE Kickstart/graphics.library.kmod
MODULE Kickstart/PCIGraphics.card
MODULE Kickstart/RadeonHD.chip
MODULE Kickstart/RadeonRX.chip
MODULE Kickstart/ATIRadeon.chip
MODULE Kickstart/3DLabsPermedia2.chip
MODULE Kickstart/3dfxVoodoo.chip

Offline Hans_

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 02:53:56 AM »
@cpaek72
Some Kicklayouts have multiple layouts in them. Make sure that RadeonRX.chip appears in all of them. The easiest way to do that is to search for RadeonHD.chip, and make sure that RadeonRX.chip is in the line below.

If that doesn't work, then I have no idea what's going on.

Hans

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 04:44:23 AM »
Hans, got it working! I just added the RadeonRX.chip.debug to the kicklayout and now it booted up. Thanks for all your help.

Charles

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 05:21:19 AM »
Just some quick observations for anyone thinking about getting the RX cards. OpenGL is really unstable and certain games like Quake II no longer work. 2D games seem to be working fine. I need to test more, but my sapphire 270x was a champ and played almost everything I threw at it. Maybe the drivers need some more time to mature.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 06:09:55 AM »
Hans, got it working! I just added the RadeonRX.chip.debug to the kicklayout and now it booted up. Thanks for all your help.
Please do NOT use the *.debug version for daily use. It spits lots of debug info to the system's debug log, slowing everything down.

Just some quick observations for anyone thinking about getting the RX cards. OpenGL is really unstable and certain games like Quake II no longer work. 2D games seem to be working fine. I need to test more, but my sapphire 270x was a champ and played almost everything I threw at it. Maybe the drivers need some more time to mature.
Not sure what you mean by "unstable." There's no legacy Warp3D driver, so anything using MiniGL won't work. There is an experimental Warp3D Nova backend in Wazp3D, which you could try. I'm hoping that'll be completed so that we don't need to write any more legacy Warp3D drivers. At some point MGLReloaded will be completed too, which will hopefully give MiniGL games a performance boost (it reimplements MiniGL directly on top of Warp3D Nova instead of via Warp3D).

Warp3D Nova drivers for Polaris cards are done, so OpenGL ES 2+ based software will work (e.g., AmiCraftNova and Spencer), or anything compiled using GL4ES.

Hans

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 10:26:03 PM »
Yeah, I have the Polaris Warp3d drivers, but games like Quake 2, Aliens vs Predator, Hexen will freeze or not boot with the RX560. I switched back to Radeon R9 270x  to test and everything works just fine. Not sure why Warp3D will not work with the rx560. I'm not completely versed on the Amiga side of things with video drivers, so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 01:48:42 AM »
Yeah, I have the Polaris Warp3d drivers, but games like Quake 2, Aliens vs Predator, Hexen will freeze or not boot with the RX560. I switched back to Radeon R9 270x  to test and everything works just fine. Not sure why Warp3D will not work with the rx560. I'm not completely versed on the Amiga side of things with video drivers, so I'm probably doing something wrong.
You have Warp3d Nova drivers for Polaris. Old games such as Quake 2, Hexen etc., use legacy Warp3D for which there's no Polaris driver. That's why they're not working.

As I said above, there are two things being developed that should bridge the gap:
- Wazp3d has an experimental Warp3D Nova backend, which allows legacy Warp3D to work via Warp3D Nova
- MGLReloaded - a reimplementation of MiniGL directly on top of Warp3D Nova. When it's done this should provide a performance boost for old 3D software because it cuts out Warp3D and therefore can hardware accelerate more of the 3D pipeline

MGLReloaded isn't available yet. You can try the Wazp3D with experimental Warp3D Nova support by downloading it here (NOTE: make sure you open up Warp3D's prefs program to enable the Nova backend).

Hans

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 02:10:46 AM »
Ok that makes complete sense, but can you explain why my older Radeon r9 270x works with those older games? The logic just is bagfelong to me. Thanks for all the feedback.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 02:20:25 AM »
i must have installed the older warp3d that’s why it works with non Polaris cards. I’ll download wazp tonight and give it a try.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 02:39:40 AM »
i must have installed the older warp3d that’s why it works with non Polaris cards. I’ll download wazp tonight and give it a try.
Yes, you must have installed the Warp3D driver for Southern Islands cards (W3D_SI), which is why it works with your R9 270X.

Be sure to keep a backup of your Warp3D libraries when you install Wazp3D. You'll need to restore them if you want to use W3D_SI with your R9 270X.

Hans