Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Android really is the new Windows  (Read 2053 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Android really is the new Windows
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 16, 2012, 01:50:26 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;715119
We will see in time. Microsoft is putting a lot of weight on this one, and they put a lot at stake, a bit like win or lose, but maybe not that dramatic. I think they have "focus-grouped" a lot about this though.
Yes, and so did Coca-Cola. Yet companies keep failing, again and again, to learn the lesson that New Coke taught us: all the focus grouping in the world won't help you if you screw around with what people are comfortable with and they don't like it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 02:17:05 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;715120
Yes, and so did Coca-Cola. Yet companies keep failing, again and again, to learn the lesson that New Coke taught us: all the focus grouping in the world won't help you if you screw around with what people are comfortable with and they don't like it.

But sometimes just sitting down on your turf, doing nothing, can mean that you are left behind in evolution, when everyone else moves on to something new. Some lead, others follow, some don't bother with anything. Only dead fish floats down-stream. Yada yada. :)

I can easily see and understand the USP's of Metro, even for desktop. Personally, I don't really like it though, but I actually think most people will get used to and actually like this feature.

Again - we'll see how things fold...

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 03:00:08 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;715124
But sometimes just sitting down on your turf, doing nothing, can mean that you are left behind in evolution, when everyone else moves on to something new. Some lead, others follow, some don't bother with anything. Only dead fish floats down-stream. Yada yada.
Yes, they do like to think like that, because that's what gets so-and-so's department's budget justified for the next quarter so that it doesn't get slashed. But that has zero relevance to what the consumer thinks. Again, Coca-Cola probably had every reason to think that it wouldn't hurt to shake things up, might drum up some new interest and help them regain the ground they'd lost to Pepsi. That actually makes perfectly decent sense from a business standpoint, which is more than can be said for Microsoft's "screw around with everything that was already fine in an attempt to leverage our monolithic desktop success as a way to break into the mobile market we've absolutely failed to crack with every previous attempt, and remove as many legacy features as we can get away with in an attempt to herd customers onto the new model so we can get a cut from third-party developers" approach to Windows 8. And just like Microsoft claims to have, they meticulously focus-tested the new product and didn't proceed until they'd determined that the testees loved it.

None of that saved their bacon. The simple fact of of the matter is that, no matter how you try, in the end you cannot manufacture a customer to fit your product. If people don't like it, they don't like it, and that's true even if the only reason they don't like it is because it's replacing something they were familiar with. And the more you try to push it on them, the less successful you'll be. Microsoft of all people should know that; they got a lesson in it not six years ago, with Vista. And people still remember that; now customers and OEMs alike know that they can make Redmond pay attention, if they're stubborn enough.

For all that they still dominate desktop computing, Microsoft has less power over their customers now than they did when ME was the supposed new hotness that, in reality, didn't live up to its predecessors. Yet they act like this is even more of an inevitability.

Time will tell where it all goes from here; but if the Windows user base decides that they don't want this, Microsoft is going to have a hell of a reality check waiting for them.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 03:12:41 AM »
The real question is how much damage will MS do to their desktop market share to try and gain market share in the tablet/mobile market.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 03:23:58 AM »
Well it will make this guy happy - http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 03:32:06 AM »
Quote from: Nostalgiac;715064
actually you can:  http://www.android-x86.org/

but what makes me laugh really if that vendors abandon a hardware model almost instantly. I've been watching the market and what friends bought... the large majority of phones are not receiving upgrades. Buy a model, and that's the Android version you will be stuck with. Even for the Amiga you could at least buy the kickstart ROM when needed.

Tom UK

You're talking apples and oranges, though.  The first "smartphone" I had was an awful device (actually for the first six months it was fine, then I made the mistake of putting apps on it), the Samsung Intercept.  My wife still has hers and it's a practically crippled little thing with little RAM and an anemic SOC.  Even though you can expand it's "storage" to 32gb, there are some apps and some updates that cannot be put on the SD Card, so newer updates take up more and more room, leaving less memory for the OS to use.

What that is, in analogue to PCs, is like buying a 386SX-16 and feeling "abandoned" because you can't keep updating it year after year.  Android 4.x doesn't run on the Intercept because it can't - just like Windows NT4 (or 2000, or XP) can't run on that 386.  The phone I replaced it with, an HTC Evo V 3d, was originally released with Android 2.3 but by the time I bought a model had been updated to 4.0, and when I unboxed it and booted it up, it updated again.  But, I'm sure, someday the phone won't get a new build of Android - because it will be out of spec.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage