Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does the Amiga 1200 060 accelerator have anough muscle to...  (Read 2248 times)

Description:

Does the Amiga 1200 060 accelerator have anough muscle to...
« on: December 19, 2002, 01:29:56 AM »
1) play mp3 music ?
 2) play mpeg movies ?

Offline machinehead

• Show only replies by machinehead
Re: Does the Amiga 1200 060 accelerator have anough muscle to...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 01:46:57 AM »
No and No.
One of the reasons I don't use my A1200 060 too much is because of how slow it is.
There is no software for this thing that comes within a decade of what I can run on my Compaq.
The internet is a joke when using an A1200 060. Nothing displays correctly, not even AMIGA.ORG!! I have Aweb 3.4 and reckon this is the best it can do.
I really have the A1200 because of nostalgia. It is fun to play with and talk about, but don't expect this thing to do streaming video. Sorry to sound so glum about the Amiga, but this is the truth. The truth shall set you free.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 01:49:39 AM »
So I should get the PPC accelerator instead then :)

I was trying to decide between  the 060 or the PCC.

But I guess the PPC is also a better choise because I can get the BVision Gfx card.

Offline Trezzer

• Show only replies by Trezzer
    • http://www.amiga.dk
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 01:57:26 AM »
No and No.

Let's try again:
Yes and yes!

mpega.library in combination with any old player like Amplifier will happily play 44.1KHz 192Kb songs - my 68060 certainly does that. On an AGA-machine you will need to run e.g. multiscan or similar to enable 44.1KHz output - otherwise you will only get 22.05KHz playback. Same thing for all Amigas with no sound card though.

Riva will also play mpeg1 files with audio at full speed with AGA+68060, but it will obviously not be 16 or 24 bit colour.

I have Aweb 3.4 and reckon this is the best it can do.

Well obvious that it looks pants then. Go get IBrowse 2.2 now.

don't expect this thing to do streaming video.

He didn't ask for streaming video.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 02:08:57 AM »
Hello

I personnaly run the A1200 with PPC blizzard 603e and Bvision .
I have buy all on ebay just for the nostalgia start with a 1200 then know its possible to upgrade it found the amiga.org and start the adventure :)) .
To best honnest you must be motivated and have free time to fix all problems you will have when you start to use good software .
Like os 3.9
warpos
etc .

Just to have a ####ing correct navigator i got no other choice to buy one Vapor .
It look like to be Old netscape version of navigator but it work great and now i start to use more and more my A1200 box PPC again .

And for sure not any trouble to play videos MP3 shoutcast streaming etc .

Just i hope more internet software with not to hard usage will be avaible soon .
Like ICQ ,A good and easy mail software and many other litle things :))

So not sure the amiga will come out the BS soon but its not so bad to use when you have a big config :)

Later
Oliver
PPC Rulez OS3.9

Offline machinehead

• Show only replies by machinehead
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 02:17:14 AM »
I stand corrected. Thank you.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 02:24:45 AM »
My experience is somewhere between the no-no and yes-yes camps.

I used my 060 A1200 for MP3 files for ages, and was happy with the sound.  This was using Amplifier or AmigaAmp, via AHI's best quality Paula chip modes.

It was not as good as I'm now getting via Windows XP and a sound card, but it was pretty reasonable.  The treble end of the spectrum was probably the most affected - I suspect the frequency response rolled off quite steeply after (guessing) 10Khz.  I didn't try running it with doublePAL screen modes though, just scan doubled PAL.  Apparently, this can affect the performance.

Mpeg was not as good.  I tried Frogger and a few others, but it always seemed to me that the frame rate was a bit slow.  Nonetheless, for some movies this was okay ;-)

Sound was patchy, probably due to the need to line up with the frame rate.

As far as I know, a towered A1200 (mine is a desktop), with a graphics card, can handle mpegs okay.  I was stuck with AGA, which is notoriously slow at this kind of stuff.

Regards

David

Offline WarPiper

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2002, 03:12:48 AM »
@Trezzer

Well obvious that it looks pants then. Go get IBrowse 2.2 now

huh?

what does pants have to do with this? umm...umm...what qualifys as looks KILTS then?

:-D
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline BouncingAyatollah

• Show only replies by BouncingAyatollah
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2002, 03:18:29 AM »
I found my A1200/060/50/AGA fine for MP3s with Amplifier although obviously system responsiveness is in proportion to the settings of the MP3 decoder, i.e. midway sampling was fine, high sampling made the system a bit sluggish.

As for mpgs, as others have said I found this okay but not brilliant on AGA, I am sure it would be fine with a gfx card. However support for the burgeoning number of video formats apart from mpg would be another issue. I found RiVA and MooVid good, and never had any luck with Frogger, occasionally it would actually play something.

Under AGA certain graphical operations can be massively accelerated by using a planar-to-chunky patch like BlazeWCP, the excellent FBlit and for some things FScreen although some programs will not open a screen properly with FScreen which was a shame as it made browsing especially much faster (virtually no "AGA ripple").

For FPU functions use a patcher like Cyberpatcher or Oxypatcher etc. I found Cinema4D multiples of times faster with Cyberpatcher on than off!
\\"Whose souls, albeit in a cloudy memory, yet seek back their good,
but, like drunk men, know not the road home.\\" -- BOETHIUS

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2002, 03:43:11 AM »
For what it's worth, I always found MP3's (and Shoutcast streaming audio broadcasts) to play just fine on my 50 mhz '060. I will say, though, that there are vast quality differences in players, and I found SongPlayer to be the best sounding MP3/mod player on the Amiga. (Granted, I have an Ateo Pixel64 GFX board in my Miggy, so I don't have the AGA bandwidth problems to deal with.)

But for mpeg movies, even on a Picasso96 gfx card, the '060 is anemic. I haven't upgraded Frogger in ages, but it was the fastest mpeg player that I ever tried... and it wasn't great.   :-(

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2002, 03:46:29 AM »
Wow! you guys are great!
Thanks for all the info!

I got a "brand new" Amiga1200 last year out of curiosity, but  I didn't start to tinker with it until last month.

Now I'm hooked. I just want to upgrade this motha to the max and then start writing games on it.

I think I'll get a PPC board with the BVision card. I would like to run my desktop at more than 256 colors :)

Offline Damion

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2002, 04:02:19 AM »
 I run an 060-66, and for it's age and clockspeed
it's pretty damn impressive...but with some things
you're going to be reminded that it's only 66mhz.
At those times I'll just fire up the Athlon.

I went from a stock machine to an 060, so the difference
was pretty dramatic.

Web browsing is no problem at all, especially with
a fast connection.

As far as sound and video, the 060 is fine, but
Paula and AGA are slow and dated. I'm sure that
an 060 would be more impressive yet with decent
sound and video cards.