Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: -Joystick DB9 Splitter  (Read 1207 times)

Description:

Offline DrummerboyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
-Joystick DB9 Splitter
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:51:24 AM »
Hello,

Anybody know if  the uses of something like this DB9 splitter, can damage something in any Amiga?  (look the pic, its similar but its 1 female to 2 males)
I aks this becouse i saw in Big Book Amiga Hardaware, exist something similar but its a switcher, you know,  gives the impression that I need to separate or leave only one signal at a time.
Anybody uses this?

Comments?

regards
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: -Joystick DB9 Splitter
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:06:19 AM »
It should work fine.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline amigaksi

• Show only replies by amigaksi
    • http://www.krishnasoft.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:06:51 AM »
Quote from: Drummerboy;561493
Hello,

Anybody know if  the uses of something like this DB9 splitter, can damage something in any Amiga?  (look the pic, its similar but its 1 female to 2 males)
I aks this becouse i saw in Big Book Amiga Hardaware, exist something similar but its a switcher, you know,  gives the impression that I need to separate or leave only one signal at a time.
Anybody uses this?

Comments?

regards

I have never damaged anything plugging things into the joystick port including db9 splitters (and that's with the machine on).  I suppose you could run into problems if you had an analog joystick that uses the POT lines and also have a mouse hooked up simultaneously since the mouse buttons also use the POT lines, but still wouldn't damage things.  Perhaps, some exposed circuit hooked up to it that exposes the pins to static or something can damage the Amiga.
--------
Use PC peripherals with your amiga: http://www.mpdos.com

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »
-redundant as I stepped away and found Amigaski and Red beat me to it-   lol

Hmm.... yeah - I'd normally be hesitant hooking that IBM looking thing to an Amiga. You'd think you'd want a diode on one of those +5v lines at least, but I bet you'd be okay with a Joystick/Mouse combo hooked to it. A passive joystick w/ no circuitry in it that wouldn't use the voltage and a mouse which does... yeah - I'd say it's worth a try. Try it on a machine though where the CIA's are easily replaceable  :)  

Reminds me of this 4 way splitter for some 4-player games back in the day... anyone remember those and the games that took advantage of 'em?  Micromachines or a similar game and at least one Tennis game IIRC.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:19:18 AM »
As a matter of fact I just wrote a blog entry about manually building a splitter to install a Micromys internally in my 128T. I have no fears about using a splitter.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline DrummerboyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:00:26 AM »
Ok,

I will try.. i hope nothing happen.

I said becouse i remember in the 80´s and 90´s some friends has problems doing somethings in the Joysticks ports.. For example in the C64/128 its not recommendable conect a joystick with power on.
Anyway.. i will try

thanks.
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy

Offline amigaksi

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:42:41 PM »
Quote from: Drummerboy;561506
Ok,

I will try.. i hope nothing happen.

I said becouse i remember in the 80´s and 90´s some friends has problems doing somethings in the Joysticks ports.. For example in the C64/128 its not recommendable conect a joystick with power on.
Anyway.. i will try

thanks.

If your splitter isn't just passing the 9 signals straight through and is connecting GND (pin 8) to +5V (pin 7) then perhaps you could damage things.  Although, I did try that a few times on Atari 8-bit and it just reset the machine.  Only when I plugged a 120VAC line into the joystick port's digital control line trying to control a light bulb did it fry that pin but the computer still worked.
--------

Offline amigaksi

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
Quote from: save2600;561500
-redundant as I stepped away and found Amigaski and Red beat me to it-   lol

Hmm.... yeah - I'd normally be hesitant hooking that IBM looking thing to an Amiga. You'd think you'd want a diode on one of those +5v lines at least, but I bet you'd be okay with a Joystick/Mouse combo hooked to it. A passive joystick w/ no circuitry in it that wouldn't use the voltage and a mouse which does... yeah - I'd say it's worth a try. Try it on a machine though where the CIA's are easily replaceable  :)  

Reminds me of this 4 way splitter for some 4-player games back in the day... anyone remember those and the games that took advantage of 'em?  Micromachines or a similar game and at least one Tennis game IIRC.

They do have fuses and other chips on the Amiga so CIA wouldn't be the first in line to get fried.
--------

Offline abbub

• Show only replies by abbub
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
Among the many things that I got with my 2000 when I bought it at a yardsale years ago was a db9 splitter for the joystick.  I've never actually used it, but it's very much an 'amiga looking thing', rather than an 'ibm looking thing'. :)
Amiga: ...an elegant computer for a more civilized age.

Amiga 2000 Workbench 3.1 (A2630 @ 25 Mhz / ECS Agnus & Super Denise / 1 MB Chip, 4 MB Fast / GVP 2000-HC, 2 GB HDD & Plextor CD-ROM / 1080S CRT