Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does anyone think the Dreamcast could run UAE?  (Read 1535 times)

Description:

Offline harrisonTopic starter

• Show only replies by harrison
    • http://www.classicamiga.com
Does anyone think the Dreamcast could run UAE?
« on: November 07, 2002, 10:25:36 PM »
It would be nice as DC has the Keyboard and Mouse support, plus the ability to read CD-R's out of the box.

But personally I don't think it would handle it as even the SNES9x port struggles at about 50-60% full speed of a read Snes.
Admin of classicamiga.com

Offline Mickey

• Show only replies by Mickey
Re: Does anyone think the Dreamcast could run UAE?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 10:50:19 PM »
Well I personally think it can. It's fast enough, the snes is slow cause not many people are really doing anything for DC anymore. It's dying pretty quickly in my opinion. UAE should be a quick port since dreamcast is windows CE based. I'm wondering about amithlon running on it. I have a boot CD for Linux and it runs great, only problem is lack of hard drive.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 07:29:07 PM »
Has anyone spotted this C64 emulator for the dreamcast. It now also works on the PS2/XBOX. Where there is a will there is a way. :-D

edit -
let me try again: THIS C64 emulator

Offline th4t1guy

• Show only replies by th4t1guy
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 09:32:11 PM »
The Dreamcast is an excellent machine.  It runs games great and is fairly hackable.
However, its not very likely that it would be able to run UAE at an acceptable speed.  The main reason for this is that the Dreamcast is basically just a fancy 3d rendering machine.  A lot of emulation requires raw cpu power, something that the Dreamcast has little of. This is why emulators on the Dreamcast run slow.   Sure, it has great hardware rendering and decent sound, but it's NOT a PC.  Same with the ps2 (although I think the ps2 might be a bit more powerful in this department).
The xbox is a more likely choice since it's basically an 800mhz PC.