Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Top 10 Os's ?  (Read 9338 times)

Description:

Offline BoudiccaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Boudicca
Re: Top 10 Os's ?
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;550255
I'm quite surprised at this one. I had a Windows 2K machine that was up for months on end (it only went down due to a power cut). I've always found it pretty stable in the past.

NT4 was up for years on end, but 2k immediately you installed anything on top IIS, Exchange, SQL etc, those dodgy 16 bit apps that wouldn't die, down it would go. U could say it was the software on top but, whats the point of a platform that self destructs when you connect any number of users greater than 10 to it. AD was great, IRQ not Less than or equal BSOD was a common one, not until driver signing did we get away from that. Also the Chkdsk bug that destroyed you NTFS permissions was fun too. ;)
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 09:34:16 PM »
Quote from: save2600;550257
Ummm, it's not hate. It's reality. The topic asked a very simple question and I answered it. In my world, there ARE alternatives to M$ products and a majority of my computing life since the late 70's, I have purposely avoided the use of them. I've used 3.1 through Win2000 and XP a little bit. No need to get into all the reasons why I don't care for 'em as I will never be "converted". Fact is, just because something exists and it's popular, doesn't mean *I* need or would want to roam with the herd all the time  ;)

Maybe "Top 10 OS's" actually means "My warm fuzzy nostalgic OS's"...
I guess I misunderstood the topic...

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »
Quote from: CSixx;550258
Not sure of your point, but a top 10 OS list with no Microsoft contribution present is silly.

None? I believe I listed MS-DOS  ;)  

Oh and Microsoft's Basic for Amiga is pretty good too, but it's not an OS, so I didn't list it.

And yes, I like my computing experience to be warm and fuzzy... why the heck not?!  lol

@Desiv - LOL!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:37:32 PM by save2600 »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 09:35:24 PM »
Quote from: CSixx;550258
Not sure of your point, but a top 10 OS list with no Microsoft contribution present is silly.

With hundreds of operating systems to choose from, I don't see why. You don't have to hate Windows to prefer 10 others. It's a personal choice, at the end of the day.

Of all the windows varieties, my own personal preference (in contrast to Boudicca) is Windows 2000. In many ways it was the first version that was as robust as NT (upon which it was built) that had the ease of use of 9x. It was also last version where you knew exactly where everything was and what everything did. Things started to get progressively more and more abstract since then.
int p; // A

Offline 560SL

• Show only replies by 560SL
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
VMS... really nice and rock- steady OS. Too bad Digital never understood the greatness of it. They pumped all their VMS profit into producing crappy PC's in the 90's and went bust. Hmm... reminds me of another company that made about the same mistake....

Wish there was a DCL emulator for the Amiga :)
AmigaOS: Forward Into The Past

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;550264
With hundreds of operating systems to choose from, I don't see why. You don't have to hate Windows to prefer 10 others. It's a personal choice, at the end of the day.

Of all the windows varieties, my own personal preference (in contrast to Boudicca) is Windows 2000. In many ways it was the first version that was as robust as NT (upon which it was built) that had the ease of use of 9x. It was also last version where you knew exactly where everything was and what everything did. Things started to get progressively more and more abstract since then.

Your right about knowing where things are, try Windows server 2008, I can't find a bloody thing in it. I have to have google open on the other screen to navigate around it.
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline a1200

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 09:43:52 PM »
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Amiga A1200, 3.1 ROMs, Blizzard 1230 MKIV 128MB & FPU, 4GB DoM SSD, Workbench 3.1

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:28 PM »
Quote from: 560SL;550265
VMS... really nice and rock- steady OS. Too bad Digital never understood the greatness of it. They pumped all their VMS profit into producing crappy PC's in the 90's and went bust. Hmm... reminds me of another company that made about the same mistake....

We are still using it.....running on HP hardware but VMS Mumps is still going strong, its the back bone of Mckesson PAS. VMS might meet its Virtualised maker in the sky this year, we are looking to host it on Intel. http://www.maindec.co.uk/services_charon_vax.html?gclid=CLuWxL7p3qACFcOT3wodPUEDQA

Offline 560SL

• Show only replies by 560SL
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;550270
We are still using it.....running on HP hardware but VMS Mumps is still going strong, its the back bone of Mckesson PAS. VMS might meet its Virtualised maker in the sky this year, we are looking to host it on Intel. http://www.maindec.co.uk/services_charon_vax.html?gclid=CLuWxL7p3qACFcOT3wodPUEDQA

I still use it too. Everyday at work. It would be nice to have it running virtualized on mainstream hardware, I always thought the choice of Itanium was a less brilliant idea.

$ exit 2928
AmigaOS: Forward Into The Past

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:39 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;550270

AS/400 -> OS/400 of course ... arf....

MUMPS... no... there cannot - absolutely not - be another MUMPS victim on this forum ?? jees.... my 1st job involved MUMPS (cannot remember the brand, some x86)...  I feel for you :( Thats bad :(

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »
Quote from: Nostalgiac;550276
AS/400 -> OS/400 of course ... arf....

MUMPS... no... there cannot - absolutely not - be another MUMPS victim on this forum ?? jees.... my 1st job involved MUMPS (cannot remember the brand, some x86)...  I feel for you :( Thats bad :(

Tom UK

Worse I had to develop in it, on x86 using MSM Mumps.....even managed to get the MS mouse working and had nice pull-down menu's....

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 11:42:49 PM »
Enjoy.

Free VMS

Quote from: 560SL;550265

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Pentad

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38:24 AM »
Kickstart 1.2 (buggiest thing I've ever seen Guru'ed me to give up and stuck to play games)

WOW!   You must not have lived through Kickstart 1.0 and Kickstart 1.1!   I remember beta testing Kickstart 1.2 and thinking how great it was compared to 1.0 and 1.1.  To be honest, I thought it was the first truly stable version of the OS.
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 01:11:57 AM »
Quote from: Pentad;550296
Kickstart 1.2 (buggiest thing I've ever seen Guru'ed me to give up and stuck to play games)

WOW!   You must not have lived through Kickstart 1.0 and Kickstart 1.1!   I remember beta testing Kickstart 1.2 and thinking how great it was compared to 1.0 and 1.1.  To be honest, I thought it was the first truly stable version of the OS.

Indeed and so did many others. Stable enough to be the first Kickstart to go to ROM  ;)

I lived on 1.2 for quite a few years actually with no problems whatsoever. Couldn't afford a hard drive anyway in those days, so I didn't care that it didn't "autoboot".

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:39 AM »
1. Windows XP SP3 (x64 Pro) - To be honest, most stable OS i've ever come across, took M$ long enough. :P
2. AmigaOS 3.1 - Uttery stable, whenever it isnt, it's usually hardware (or software faults, not OS).
3. AmigaOS 1.3 - Got to love them colours!
3. Linux (Mint & Knoppix) - Mint for it's nice layout, Knoppix for it's design and cleverness.
4. Windows 7 - Already a hell of a nice OS.
5. Mac OS9.2 - New user of this but wow, is it stable and easy to use!
6. RISC OS - Takes alot of effort to bugger this OS up lol.
7. Morph OS - Very clean.
8. Atari ST TOS 2.04 - Same comment as RISC OS.
9. Spectrum Basic - Simplicity is bliss.
10. AROS - Just wish I could afford it. :(

P.s. Great topic idea. :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:55:54 AM by tokyoracer »

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 30, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;550279
Worse I had to develop in it, on x86 using MSM Mumps.....even managed to get the MS mouse working and had nice pull-down menu's....
y

gosh... MSM rings a bell indeed - yes, wrote far to many lines of it, even using "windows" (text-style). The boss at the time insisted we used single character commands to make the code more compact - and abso-bleep-ing unreadable obviously

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner