Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blatant Request!  (Read 1342 times)

Description:

Offline blobranaTopic starter

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Blatant Request!
« on: December 18, 2002, 04:17:31 AM »
i don`t want to sound blatant but i need feed-back on my site.

i know it works on most of the browsers.  i want your opinion on the :
speed/
style
layout.  
Also how navigable is it.
Plus,  is it too funny.?

please,

http://mysite.freeserve.com/blobrana/index.html

Don`t hold back!  If it`s rubbish , i`ll rewrite it. :-D

Re: Blatant Request!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 04:57:02 AM »
er, you can use the internal mail , if you want.

or e-mail me your complaints/complaments...

Is there anybody outhere..?

Offline Kent

• Show only replies by Kent
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=87
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 05:26:38 AM »
I'm probably not the best person to reply because I'll pick it appart to no end before it's over with.

To start with, the frames need to go and the left side navigation needs to be reworked.  Also, if you keep the frames, put in a better title other than "blobrana" in the html frame itself.  Individual pages should also have good solid titles so if you are able to pull them up with a search engine you don't get just "Blobrana" or "News".  A well written meta description no longer than 255 characters will also help when looking up the pages in a search engine.

The site lacks overall definition between sections and areas.  One section on the first page uses a black font and another uses a bold red font to increase the importance a bit yet at first glance it all looks like it's part of the same bits of information.  You really should keep the snow off the site and put it on a splash page of some sort to drop the confusion.  Keep in mind though, splash pages are a bit passe in web practices although I still use one on my site.  Going from section to section feels like I'm going to a completely different web site, keep an overall theme for all of the pages you have.  You can change colors from page to page but at least make the color change subtle.  Also, If you use a black background image, make sure to set the bgcolor="#000000" in the tag so viewers going to your web site can read the white text without images.  Each section feels like a completely different place, and what's with the moon phases in the upper left corner supposed to mean.  It would be good if I could get a thorough description of the navigational items so I don't have to guess where I'm going to.  You have a link at the bottom of the nav page that links to "Current issue" but of what?  The navigation changes from page to page but it's not consistant, some of the image links move and some of them change from page to page, sometimes they aren't even there.  I found a "your guide to blobrana" but it left a confusing feel without the ability to access it.

Animation is nice but when you have too much animation it's just a distraction.  The animated
tags need to go, they don't look very professional.  The dancing girls need to get gone yesterday, the add a cheap feel to the overall web site.  The heart beating has nothing to it, why is it there and what relation does it have to "Gearing up for Solstice!"?

Graphics need to be cleaned up if you are going to use drop shadows.  Drop the Java Applets, replace them with something more tangible and a little less irritating (coming from a Java programmer, I hate applets).  I found a gallery but I can't tell what it is or what it refers to.  The link colors should be defined for the pages so they don't blend in to the background before, during, or after clicking on them.  A really good example of bad color choices for links can be found on v3.vapor.com of all places, try clicking on the blue links on the right side under the .plan... they disappear comletely.

Midi... uhg... Unless you are trying to sell me on your music I don't want to hear it, thank god for Opera and the ability to turn embeded audio off.  If you want to show off some of your mods you've made then a midi file would be good as a quick sample of the same work but not in a manner of forcing it on people who view the web site, at least give an option to not play audio on the server end (yes, it's possible to do just that in JavaScript).

Anyway, that's a quick five minutes of going over your web site.  Please don't think I'm outright bashing your work, I do this for a living and find things like this all the time.  If you'd like some help and suggestions, I'd be happy to offer some of my ideas.

:pint:
I love the modern age world of this middle age crises America... all these SUVs driving around like there\\\'s gas to spare and then some.

http://www.RequestFocus.com

W. Kent Seaton ~ RequestFocus.com

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 05:39:16 AM »
Hum,  your right of course.

i`ll have to do a little bit of tweaking...

Colour coordination, and navigation first i think.

As for the music, i`ll have to read-up about about that.

Tnx for that .
 :-D

Offline Kent

• Show only replies by Kent
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=87
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 05:52:43 AM »

blobrana wrote:
Hum,  your right of course.

i`ll have to do a little bit of tweaking...

Colour coordination, and navigation first i think.

As for the music, i`ll have to read-up about about that.

Tnx for that .

Blob, start with this... make a navigation page that doesn't change from page to page, that's part of the problem in the navigation.  Once you've made a new navigation create three more, one with more detail, one with less detail (and without graphics) and one with so much detail you think you're going to get sick.  Rework the sections of the web site and find out how you can work these navigation pages into the sections.  Here on AO you find the majority of the navigation at the very top with small images pertaining to what they are (kind of).  They each use one or two words describing that particular link.  If you go to the forums you hget a better idea of what each of the forums contain.  Then take a look at my web site with two major navigations on almost every page and the home page describing in detail what each of the sections are.  You have a good start with tons of information, it just feels like someone set off a bomb inside of a candy factory located next to a school and all the kids are going insane.

:pint:
I love the modern age world of this middle age crises America... all these SUVs driving around like there\\\'s gas to spare and then some.

http://www.RequestFocus.com

W. Kent Seaton ~ RequestFocus.com

Offline Damion

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2002, 08:08:20 AM »
I found it very entertaining and informative,
and it worked great with Aweb. Nice string
theory info. And I say keep the girl! ;)

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2002, 08:10:23 AM »
I dont mean to sound horribly offensive... but that site if absolute trash in my opinon.

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2002, 08:35:12 AM »
Hey ..It looks ok to me !!

Wish I could make a website that looked ANYTHING like that !!

btw .. looks ok @1280 x 1024 in IE
The Reluctant Pom

Offline BADHead

• Show only replies by BADHead
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2002, 09:28:40 AM »
The ####e sorry  the site looks ok apart
from the dreadfull MUSIC !
Crazy on a ship of fools  :whack:

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2002, 09:33:33 AM »
yeah forgot to mention music on websites sucks unless its in flash and can be skipped through quickly...

My opinon of your site is this.. sense I realise your older most likely and I dont want to grade a guy in his 40's by the standerds  I would someone my age... I will just say keep trying and not make fun of it... its a mtter of 'taste' really... the snowfall? think long and hard about it... wether that is a good thing or not ...it impedes vision of the 'site' and that site is content driven moreso then it would be download driven or a portal to other things...it makes no sense.
The midi.. do people 'really' need to hear music on a website?.. I mean.. some icon sounds maaaybe but midi has been a mark of a junk site for years...sorry to say...as far as the design goes it needs some work.... but I wont make fun of your artistic capabilities because tastes very.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2002, 10:19:05 AM »
OK, I'll try to be constructive...
Drop 99% of the animated GIF's ( allthough I like the babe ;-) ) and try to make the navbar static.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.