Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How do I get started in Amiga Game Development on an emulator?  (Read 3965 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: How do I get started in Amiga Game Development on an emulator?
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 09, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
On WinUAE you can emulate hardware in "real speed" (JIT off and other options)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;740279
Of course WinUAE is better than nothing (I still use it for prototyping and as my 'virtual' ECS/RTG Amiga) but it's no good when you get to the optimization stage of development (esp important for Classic HW).

Yes, both have strengths & as soon as you do something that will push the machine you need to be using both.

In your example you would always have to optimise it for running on real machines, whether you did that up front or at the end is sometimes irrelevant. Although I'd prefer to do it up front as it can have knock on effects. Like if you're going to write something that uses a lot of blitter and copper effects then again you're going to need to be testing that on real hardware more often because that could have serious consequences.

If you're starting out and writing something like a puzzle slide game, then actually getting something to run at all is going to be enough of a challenge whether it's fast enough on real hardware or not. Sometimes learning is about making mistakes and developing on WinUAE will allow you to make mistakes quicker.

I preferred geekgadgets gcc to sasc, it produced faster code for me anyway. Single stepping is quite useful though and although there was a commercial gcc based development environment, I never tried it.

For writing a real classic amiga game I'd be tempted to use devpac to write 68000 assembly.

Offline Tom01

• Show only replies by Tom01
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;740330

For writing a real classic amiga game I'd be tempted to use devpac to write 68000 assembly.

For a platform independent game I would use C/C++ with gcc and SDL.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »
SDL on real hardware?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;740338
SDL on real hardware?

NovaCoder has made an AGA optimized cut-down version of SDL.

Also there is the old WarpSDL reimplementation that is lightning fast but incomplete.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;740330

Speaking of which, I've got an immaculate boxed copy of Devpac 3 with manuals and original disks for sale if anyone is interested?

Also have AMOS Pro with disks and manuals in same condition for sale too.

Might have BlitzBasic 2 as well but will have to check when I get home tonight.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
WarpSDL is no more "incomplete" than Novacoders new AGA SDL, in fact if anything Id have to say the contrary.
The "problem" with WarpSDL however is that the "dev kit" was never publicly released, ergo of no use to anyone.
Chaozer actually sent me the lib and headers some years back when I was chatting to him on IRC, but unfortunately I didnt really know at the time what I was doing, nor did I realise how valueable said files would be to me so I dont think I ever backed them up (very slim chance that I still have them, but even if thats true they could be anywhere).

Thanks to Novacoder though we now have a basic SDL lib for AGA, which has been fun to play with. Dont know if anyone is interested, but I've compiled Reminescence for 68k (flashback replacement engine), along with Bermuda Syndrome (and a few others I abandonded for lack of performance reasons).

As for the original question it depends on what you want to do and what type of languages a person is familiar with/wants to learn. The scope of developing for amiga/amiga based systems is way too broad to give a simple answer. Some sort of elaboration might yield responses closer to what the OP was specifically hoping for.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 05:18:54 PM »
Isn't there some sort of game creation tool called Backbone or something similar?

I think Cammy is quite knowledgeable on it.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;740362
WarpSDL is no more "incomplete" than Novacoders new AGA SDL, in fact if anything Id have to say the contrary.
The "problem" with WarpSDL however is that the "dev kit" was never publicly released, ergo of no use to anyone.
Chaozer actually sent me the lib and headers some years back when I was chatting to him on IRC, but unfortunately I didnt really know at the time what I was doing, nor did I realise how valueable said files would be to me so I dont think I ever backed them up (very slim chance that I still have them, but even if thats true they could be anywhere).

Thanks to Novacoder though we now have a basic SDL lib for AGA, which has been fun to play with. Dont know if anyone is interested, but I've compiled Reminescence for 68k (flashback replacement engine), along with Bermuda Syndrome (and a few others I abandonded for lack of performance reasons).

As for the original question it depends on what you want to do and what type of languages a person is familiar with/wants to learn. The scope of developing for amiga/amiga based systems is way too broad to give a simple answer. Some sort of elaboration might yield responses closer to what the OP was specifically hoping for.

Are you or anyone else here still in contact with Chaozer? It would be great if someone could resume work on his code.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »
There is Amiga E.
Google for it and and you will get some links.
Also check this page: http://www.amigacoding.com/index.php/Main_Page

You did say Game development so one of the game packages might be a good start to get something going quickly.

If you go for 68k assembler or C you will want the ROM kernel manuals.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show only replies by Mrs Beanbag
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
I manage fine, on the whole, in 68k without the ROM kernel manuals. I have some other books which are perhaps a bit less comprehensive.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline nicholas

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;740386
I manage fine, on the whole, in 68k without the ROM kernel manuals. I have some other books which are perhaps a bit less comprehensive.

http://amigadev.elowar.com