Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alien Breed 3D Odamex Projekt for AROS SNEEK PEEK  (Read 3647 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: Alien Breed 3D Odamex Projekt for AROS SNEEK PEEK
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 23, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;730042
Holy crap, speaking of the Palette...

The classic DOOM engine has a Palette of 256 colors. This is due to the fact that that was the color limit of the standard VGA display at the time. Meanwhile the Amiga was capable of displaying thousands of colors at one time, hence the reason the Alien Breed color palette far surpasses that of DOOM, and therefore Odamex's current 256 color limitation.

Well this appears to soon be a thing of the past in regards to Odamex. I was just talking on the Odamex IRC channel and received these two images demonstrating one of the upcoming features in Odamex...

Why no OpenGL renderer, I wonder? Engines like Doomsday and such have had them for ages.
int p; // A

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
Actually there is a fork with GL support. It may be added to the official port eventually, I know that some of the devs are keen on seeing it included as an option eventually.

As for why it it does not have it already, well that's because Odamex is based off of a very old version of ZDOOM, and ZDOOM has always been software based.

As for me, I find that GL makes things look really nice, but it also brightens the hell out of everything when things should be dark. As an example, I have a few rooms and hall ways in my project that are very very dark. In these rooms are pulse lights that travel the length of the hall, or spins in a circle within the room (like DOOM 64). What this does is adds a little Alien-esque tension where in the player can only see the enemies when the light happens to dance across them. Add GL to the mix and you can see the enemies all the time, regardless if the light is on them or not. So basically what needs to be done is I would have to go back through my map(s) and adjust the lighting of every room and dramatically decrease the light level in hopes of restoring the intended effect...

...which is not exactly what I call fun. ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
Looks like I jumped the gun. While the display will be drastically improved in the next Odamex, I'm still going to be limited to a 256 color palette for the time being.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 03:14:56 AM »
256 Color Palette in 32 bit True Color

Also, I asked around and the plan is to eventually incorporate the ability to move beyond the 256 color palette as I'd hoped, none the less in the mean time the 32bit display helps things immensely!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:22:05 AM by XDelusion »

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 05:45:20 AM »
Very nice :-) The color's makes a huge difference.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
@XDelusion

In theory, as soon as you have an RGB framebuffer, there's no real reason why every texture couldn't have it's own palette. Of course, you could just use RGB textures too but they'd need a lot more memory and would probably be slower in any software rendering engine.
int p; // A

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
Sorry, it looks like i critasized the alien and then ignored this thread.
I like the look of the alien breed alien in the game.

It looks good. Probably won't play it because I tend not to play games on PC but if you did an android or classic Amiga version I would play.

I loved the demo for AB3D but didn't care much for the game. TKG was better but performance was very poor.

Anyhoo I like what I have seen so far and if I see it on A1200 or Andoid then I will play it

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »
I do believe someone is working on a port of Odamex to Android.

As for Classic Amiga support... some day after this project has reached a descent point, I may well have a go at porting over what I can to Lantus' port of Strife.

Quote from: foleyjo;730667
Sorry, it looks like i critasized the alien and then ignored this thread.
I like the look of the alien breed alien in the game.

It looks good. Probably won't play it because I tend not to play games on PC but if you did an android or classic Amiga version I would play.

I loved the demo for AB3D but didn't care much for the game. TKG was better but performance was very poor.

Anyhoo I like what I have seen so far and if I see it on A1200 or Andoid then I will play it

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Looking at the 32bit images, I'd say wait, but odds are, you'll still be stuck with a 256 color limit.

@XDelusion,

Where is your link to the images you're using for this TC, again? I can't seem to find the thread they were in.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf