Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Sonic the Hedgehog Amiga Fangame Project  (Read 6886 times)

Description:

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: New Sonic the Hedgehog Amiga Fangame Project
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 30, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »
Amos needs a better compiler, that's for sure.

Offline Rebel-CD32Topic starter

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Okay, I'm going to answer a few questions, but first I want to say that I didn't personally rip any graphics from the Sonic games, I simply saved them from one of the many Sonic fangame/spriterip websites that are out there. Sega has never has a go at anyone for making fangames, and they don't seem to mind at all.

Flashlab, yeah I was the guy with the poll about what kind of games the Amiga community wants, and I have the results here if you want to see them. I'm going to open another similar poll soon. We have gotten a team together and started "Underground Arcade", and currently have a few games in development, at least two of which should be out some time this year. We are still a small group though, and we desperately need more coders, graphic artists and other creative Amiga people to join the team so we can get more games made faster!

This Sonic project was just something I decided to whip up one morning after I woke up, just to see if I could do it. I didn't want to work on it for more than a day though.

I reduced all the background blocks down to 7 colours, although a few unique blocks use some of the colours from the player sprite (who has his own 8 colour palette). I tried to stick to what I observed in OCS games like Mr. Nutz and Brian the Lion, I would hope that these graphics could be used in a fully optimised OCS Sonic engine, which would have to use 7 colours for foregrounds (and possibly enemy sprites), 8 colours for the main sprite (not sure where Mr. Nutz got an 8th colour from, maybe reusing a single colour BOB from the background layer?). So with a bit of tweaking, I think Sonic could still look quite nice on OCS Amigas with a good engine, it would have heaps of parallax if we used the dual playfield mode. Of course with the AGA version you wouldn't lose any colour depth at all since it can do the same 16 colour layers as the Mega Drive.

I'm sure OCS Amiga people wouldn't mind the colour loss compromise if they still get to keep the speed and depth of the original Sonic game, but if the game were to use 32 colours for the sprites and foregrounds and missed out on the parallax, it just wouldn't feel the same, it'd probably feel like this Backbone game (raster bars are nice, but parallax is so much better).

I've left this project open for anyone to continue. They can download all the files required from here - http://sonicamiga.blogspot.com/ and of course new graphics and sounds can be found on the web, Google should produce a few results.

As I was saying earlier though, we have other games that need to be worked on and since we have no other pixel artists in Underground Arcade I've got a lot of work cut out for me, so I'm off of this Sonic thing for now. I just wanted to see if it could be done, and then give it away if anyone wants to continue it.
Amiga user forever.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2008, 09:26:59 PM »
Good to hear you got a team up and running! I hope you guys can make a nice game or two! Maybe you could give us some pointers what way you're going?
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »
Okay, some of the games we're working on (that I'm allowed to talk about) include:

Halloween Nightmare

This is actually two games, both platformers. One is a simple jump & run, avoid baddies, collect the candy type thing. The other is a more involving game with a storyline, heaps of interactive characters, lots of locations to explore, tougher enemies, loads of weapons, mission based levels, and possibly two-player support.

Annihilation

A horizontally scrolling arcade shoot em up. Classic arcade action with three ships to choose from and a huge range of weapons with upgradable firepower.

There are more games being made, but we have to keep them under wraps for now. We'll have some classic arcade remakes as well as some unique and original games too. We're also working on a website and a newsletter, but we've seriously taken on too much work to handle, and progress is slow. We're determined to produce quality games, but any help we can get is appreciated.

For more info, we've set up a blog until we get our website finished. We'll try and update it soon. Here it is - http://undergroundarcade.blogspot.com/
Amiga user forever.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2008, 08:30:01 AM »

Rebel-CD32 wrote:

All Amigas - http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Sonic500.lha

On my A600, the title screen loads with the intro music, but after that, I get an error that lowlevel.library cannot be found. I guess Kick 3.1 is needed?!

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2008, 08:56:11 AM »

Colani1200 wrote:

Rebel-CD32 wrote:

All Amigas - http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Sonic500.lha

On my A600, the title screen loads with the intro music, but after that, I get an error that lowlevel.library cannot be found. I guess Kick 3.1 is needed?!

Nope. I play it on mine 2Mb RAM/2Gb HD PAL A600 with no problems. Using a CD32 joypad, of course.
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »
Which Kickstart / OS version does it have?

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »
Sorry for not replying to this post earlier. I have tried the demo on my own WB2.1 A600 with 1MB RAM, and I got the same problem. I think lowlevel.library is needed for the control pad.
Amiga user forever.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2008, 05:14:30 AM »
@Rebel-CD32
first I want to say that I didn't personally rip any graphics from the Sonic games, I simply saved them from one of the many Sonic fangame/spriterip websites that are out there.

That is no excuse really. The only way to make it "safe" would be to require the end user to deal with it themselves.
Sega has never has a go at anyone for making fangames, and they don't seem to mind at all.

That's no excuse either.

But if you're happy with copyright infringement, that's your choice.

Offline Piru

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2008, 05:19:12 AM »
I think lowlevel.library is needed for the control pad.

In the future make sure the code falls back to regular joystick/keyboard controls if lowlevel.library is not found. This way it should work with anything KS 2.0+ (assuming nothing else depends on newer KS features).

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2008, 01:30:58 AM »
Just shut the {bleep} up, dickhead.
Amiga user forever.

Offline Piru

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2008, 01:43:14 AM »
@Rebel-CD32
Just shut the {bleep} up, {expletive}

Now that was constructive.

I still think you should deal with the copyright issues, however.

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2008, 02:55:38 AM »
@ Rebel-CD32

No need for the attitude mate ... Piru was just voicing concern about a potential copyright problem.

If, as you say, Sony are fine with fans making tribute games then thats okay ... just leave the keyboard bashing out.

To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, 05:38:51 AM »
I'm sick of idiots commenting on things they don't fully understand. How many times do I have to say this game was made with BACKBONE and not CODED. I can't "make sure the code falls back..." because no one is actually programming it. People seem to come on these threads and comment without actually reading all the previous posts. Do some {bleep}ing research, there are hundreds of lame Sonic fangames out there and SEGA (not SONY) has never done anything to stop them. This has been going on for YEARS, so why should I get all worried that SEGA is going to sue me for throwing together a quick demonstration on an obsolete system they probably don't even realise still exists?

STOP REPLYING TO THREADS UNTIL YOU READ THEM FIRST!

BACKBONE IS NOT A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE!

SEGA DOESN'T CARE!

THIS PROJECT IS FINISHED!
Amiga user forever.

Offline Piru

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, 07:06:45 AM »
@Rebel-CD32
Do some {bleep}ing research, there are hundreds of lame Sonic fangames out there and SEGA (not SONY) has never done anything to stop them. This has been going on for YEARS, so why should I get all worried that SEGA is going to sue me for throwing together a quick demonstration on an obsolete system they probably don't even realise still exists?

This is not about being in legal limbo (which it is too, regardless if the owner really cares or not), but about developer/artist integrity. This is about principle: you should not steal but do your own artwork.

You can rave all you want but that doesn't really change.

Now, personally I don't really care whether you do it or not, but I reserve the right to whine about it.

If you don't like it, tough.

Offline taunusand

• Show only replies by taunusand
    • www.amiga.dk
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
I like the game, thanks :-)
A1200, Blizzard 030, 2+32MB ram, 4GB CF, pcmcia netcard, Kickstart 3,1
A600, 2MB chip ram+4Mb pcmcia S-RAM, Kickstart 3,1
CD32 - Just for fun  :-D