Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: We need an iBrowse replacement for 68k!!!  (Read 25688 times)

Description:

Offline a-pexTopic starter

• Show only replies by a-pex
We need an iBrowse replacement for 68k!!!
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »
Hello all,

we need a new BROWSER for 68k Systems supporting CSS & AGA.
A first step is NETSURF, but it has no native GUI and is not optimized.

Why? With the upcoming PHP 5.4.x VBulletin 3 & 4 is no more supported.
This is something that will happen in the future for http://www.a1k.org.

After a long internal discussion I can say that the http://www.a1k.org Community grand a minimum of 750€ for a working optimized Browser supporting 68k, AGA & CSS.

And I am sure this will be more only from our side, together with other Amiga Communities this could be enough money for a nice holiday. :-)

Regarding OS4 we have enough good solutions, but we need something again for the Classic Amigas...

Offline Pentad

Re: We need an iBrowse replacement for 68k!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:05:25 PM »
Quote from: a-pex;724265
Hello all,

we need a new BROWSER for 68k Systems supporting CSS & AGA.
A first step is NETSURF, but it has no native GUI and is not optimized.

Why? With the upcoming PHP 5.4.x VBulletin 3 & 4 is no more supported.
This is something that will happen in the future for http://www.a1k.org.

After a long internal discussion I can say that the http://www.a1k.org Community grand a minimum of 750€ for a working optimized Browser supporting 68k, AGA & CSS.

And I am sure this will be more only from our side, together with other Amiga Communities this could be enough money for a nice holiday. :-)

Regarding OS4 we have enough good solutions, but we need something again for the Classic Amigas...

Great!  Start coding!
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
I am no coder and I think I am doing enough for the AMIGA community. ;)

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »
Quote from: Pentad;724267
Great!  Start coding!

This is the same bullshyt "write and submit a patch" and "RTFM" mindset which pushes a lot of people away from F/OSS projects.

While many people have ideas not everyone is a do-er or a coder.  Responses like yours discourage people from providing ideas.

I don't know what a-pex does to support the Amiga community, but I certainly wouldn't discount his missive simply because he's not coding.

Offline chris

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:16:38 PM »
Here's roughly what needs to be done to get the OS4 frontend for NetSurf working on OS3/AGA: http://wiki.netsurf-browser.org/Todo/AmigaOS_frontend#OS3_Support

Note that:
* The plotters code does not need P96 or RTG.  Although I can't test it on AGA, it works fine on an 8-bit RTG screen using graphics.library functions only. (Screenshot)
* The font code uses the bullet API, but the new-style OS4 calls for setup.  By default it uses anti-aliasing via tags that are new to OS4.  On palette-mapped screens it reverts back to old non-AA calls.
* It's Reaction-based, but the trickiest part is probably the scrollbars in the window border, which are attached using new tags and classes.  NetSurf has built-in "grab and drag" so the scrollbars could be omitted initially anyway!  The rest of the GUI is pretty basic buttons, string gadget (this is a custom job, but can be reverted back to the standard one if necessary) and a tab bar, none of which use any new features AFAIK.  The menu is attached with a new tag but that's easily changed.

I'm happy to give assistance with back-porting this.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;724273
I don't know what a-pex does to support the Amiga community, but I certainly wouldn't discount his missive simply because he's not coding.

I am the founder from http://www.a1k.org and still managing and owning this forum since over 8 years now... From 2004-2006 I produced together with Andrew over 50 new AMIGA Phoenix boards and I am also beta tester for OS4. Hope this is enough, to post my wishes here. ;) I am no coder, but I am supporting the AMIGA since 1988!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 06:50:03 PM by a-pex »

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 08:39:17 PM »
@a-pex

Dont waste your time on this forum as you can see... i dont understand german but i visit your forum many time, great work.
a1200 060

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
If ported to 3.9 aga I will gladly donate as well

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
The classic users make up the biggest block of the Amiga community, it's what has kept the likes of Amigakit in business for almost 10 years.  Yet what I don't understand is that with all this appetite for new and used hardware, it doesn't seem to translate into much desire for new software as well.

What we need here is some kind of bounty system like they already have in place for the NG Amiga's. It's understandable that most of the remaining developers choose to use their time and skills enhancing the new Amiga OS's, it's what the are passionate about. If we want these people to backport their software with all the extra hassle it entails using the ancient Amiga Workbench, then it's up to us classic enthusiasts to ask them nicely and get the bounty's organized and in place to pay them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:20:45 PM by Akiko »

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;724273
This is the same bullshyt "write and submit a patch" and "RTFM" mindset which pushes a lot of people away from F/OSS projects.

While many people have ideas not everyone is a do-er or a coder.  Responses like yours discourage people from providing ideas.

it sure looks like the amiga community don't have any 'do'ers' left anymore at least in the coding department. but one thing it sure has, is a hell of a lot of 'users' that just want and want and want... maybe it's time to get starting learning to code before it will be to late...

and before you jump on my arse i have quit the amiga long time ago. i just use it for what it is an old failed attempt of a computer, with fun old games.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
Quote from: A1260;724322
it sure looks like the amiga community don't have any 'do'ers' left

If we would have only coders in the community, the community would be also dead!

2004 there was no good german Amiga forum and the classic community was like dead.
I made a forum, I am still taking care for it, we have many people developing hardware and do not getting money for it, why only a coder must be got paid? What is with all the other people taking care for this great computer?

I will quit every work I am doing to learn coding and then? Who will manage my forum?
Should I close it? It is one of the biggest, at the moment we have over 170 people online...

I do not understand where the problem is to ask for a new browser port without getting blamed from everyone. :( Same on EAB. Thank you to all for that!

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
Quote from: A1260;724322
it sure looks like the amiga community don't have any 'do'ers' left anymore at least in the coding department. but one thing it sure has, is a hell of a lot of 'users' that just want and want and want... maybe it's time to get starting learning to code before it will be to late...

and before you jump on my arse i have quit the amiga long time ago. i just use it for what it is an old failed attempt of a computer, with fun old games.

You definitely put it better than the other poster.  Saying "the Amiga community has very few coders remaining and we could use some more if you have the time to learn" is a helluva lot better than simply telling someone to do it themselves, which is the inference taken from curt comments in response to better-detailed wish-lists.

Your use is irrelevant to my opinion, and my opinion is irrelevant to your use, so you'll get no arse-jumping from me.  Especially since I agree with you: It is a shame that we've lost a lot of programmers and I believe it's important that we show appreciation to those remaining not just in verbal and monetary support, but also perhaps by joining their ranks.  Personally, when I've though I have the time to jump in, life has other ideas for me.  I purchased Cubic several years back to facilitate my adventure, and it sits largely unused right now.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »
...by the way, I am using a Mac for 90% of my daily work, but I will never quit with my AMIGAs. Why? It is great hobby and if you met the right people helping each other, it is a fantastic hobby.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:57 PM »
Hiya Apex :)

It's an interesting project but it would take lots of time for me to port Netsurf AGA, even with help.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;724315
@a-pex

Dont waste your time on this forum as you can see...

Is there's some special need you felt to insult everybody else on the forum? Or are you naturally this rude?

@a-pex

There are other possibilities in the short term. This site went through a similar transition a while ago was updated to a version of vbulletin that is heavily dependent on CSS for layout and some functionality.

This upset a few classic users that couldn't use the site after the update. So, I wrote a small degrader proxy in PHP that parses the markup and degrades it into (far obsoleted) HTML that iBrowse (and AWeb) can cope with.

Compare this site in iBrowse versus this one: http://aoproxy.extropia.co.uk/

What you could do is set up a sub domain on a1k and we could look at installing a suitably modified version of the code on it to cope with whatever forum engine you ultimately go for.
int p; // A