Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Distribution Licence For Workbench...  (Read 18950 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Distribution Licence For Workbench...
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 04:25:30 PM »
Applause to Franko, and rude noises to the copyright natterers. That's all I have to say.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 04:27:18 PM »
Quote from: dammy;635120
I'm still wondering who gave you the right to do that?  Now if you can prove in court that AI doesn't own the license to WB/KS and Hyperion's license is null and void, now that would be a horse of a different color.

Seriously, Dammy, give it a rest.  CUSA is selling gangbusters, they'll have their Linux/Workbench spin done in no time, and you can proudly trumpet that their boxes are teh true successors of the Commodoar line.  How's about you leave us old tired farts alone who wish to play with our toys from 1992?

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
Prepare to get ur ass sued off by that Hyperion lawyer :-)

Too bad, its going to be a quiet forum here in the future ;-)
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »
Quote from: dammy;635120
I'm still wondering who gave you the right to do that?  Now if you can prove in court that AI doesn't own the license to WB/KS and Hyperion's license is null and void, now that would be a horse of a different color.

Read my first post again a bit more carefully, no has given me the right to do anything but I have done all I can within reason to try and obtain a distribution licence... ;)

So if you want to prove something in court feel free to do so but I have no reason to believe you legally own these rights or have the ability to sell or issue me with a distribution licence, at the end of the day it's your money you'll be spending on court proceedings so go speak to your lawyers now and start your proceedings... :)

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;635122
Seriously, Dammy, give it a rest.
+1
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
Quote from: cv643d;635123
Prepare to get ur ass sued off by that Hyperion lawyer :-)

Too bad, its going to be a quiet forum here in the future ;-)

Hyperion have never responded to any of my requests so you're in for a bit of a let down there... ;)

I really wish folk like you would do a bit of research before rattling their gums about things they don't know... :)

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »
Go Franko! All In! :swords:
CD32
A500

Offline Cool_amigaN

• Show only replies by Cool_amigaN
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
@Franko

Don't even bother with the licenses for 1.x-3.1. It's a almost 2 decades after the initial launch of 3.1 and around 25 years for 1.3; whoever wants to obtain them has already done so, several years ago. Even typing "download Amiga 3.1 OS"" on Google will bring up countless websites that already freely distribute it and no "legitimate" source. Finally, Amiga Forever is not a couple of stock 3.1 ADFs, it's a whole UAE emulation environment headed to more "dedicated" amigans, who want to use a fully functional 3.x emulated system. 1.x-3.1 ADFs are for those who want to periodically launch some OCS/ECS/AGA game for a spin of nostalgia, and that game won't be coming from a "legitimate" source either.

Apart from the above, and on a slightly different matter, partially affiliated with the current subject, some people never cease to surprise me. I can't be sure whether it is hypocrisy or they haven't checked what year do we live in. Will you see any Sega fan complaining for distributing Megadrive's games? No. Will you see any MS follower complaining for distributing  Windows 95? No. Will you see Nintendo fan complaining for distributing Game Boy's games? No. What about Atari 2600, or DC, or Jaguar or 3DO? Even the companies behind them (and we are talking for really BIG companies), don't go after the "retro movement". And Amiga 68k is exactly what it can be described as a retro platform. But on Amiga fora every time, someone is going to complain for distributing (let's say) Agony, when even Psygnosis (long before shutting down) didn't even mentioned the word Amiga in their website, clearly indicating that they simply didn't give a fuck.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
Quote from: save2600;635119

As an aside, I wonder if M$ would care about people downloading MSDOS, Win3.1, etc. anymore? Apple with their olden OS's. OR is it just the Amiga community that gets their undies in a bunch of this kind of thing?  :lol:

Microsoft would probably claim patent violation of their FAT12/16/32 patent... Apple released System 7.x for free, it used to be available on their own servers for a while... Gone now, and they really don't care about pre OSX now.

-edit- well poke me with a stick, it is still free on their servers!! http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.0.x/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:05:37 PM by bloodline »

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;635122
Seriously, Dammy, give it a rest.  CUSA is selling gangbusters, they'll have their Linux/Workbench spin done in no time, and you can proudly trumpet that their boxes are teh true successors of the Commodoar line.  How's about you leave us old tired farts alone who wish to play with our toys from 1992?

I'm not worried about C=USA, it's Cloanto that has my concern.  Cloanto donated money to TeamAROS (and perhaps to Power2People since they took over TeamAROS bounties) for development of open source software, including the AROS kickstart bounty.  I don't like seeing Cloanto getting screwed for being one of the few commercial companies supporting not only classic Amiga community but AROS community as well.  So no, I'm not going to give it a rest.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
Quote from: dammy;635133
I'm not worried about C=USA, it's Cloanto that has my concern.  Cloanto donated money to TeamAROS (and perhaps to Power2People since they took over TeamAROS bounties) for development of open source software, including the AROS kickstart bounty.  I don't like seeing Cloanto getting screwed for being one of the few commercial companies supporting not only classic Amiga community but AROS community as well.  So no, I'm not going to give it a rest.

So...Cloanto donating money to an OpenSource (Open as in free to download and modify) project affects people downloading original commodore OS how?  Once Aros68k doesn't suck, don't you think people will flock to it?  This isn't about Cloanto or AROS, its about you and Franko.  THAT is what I was inferring by giving it a rest.  Making up some bullshit reason for your Quixotic campaign doesn't change that fact.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
@Franko

Someone pointed out in another thread that Petro gave Amiga Workbench 3.0 free to the community along time ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Quote from Amiga Format CD #51: AFCD51/+System+/Tools/Workbench/Workbench 3.x/AF_Readme

Here are the DMS archives for the complete Workbench 3.0, in case you haven't
 got an install disk, or you corrupt your originals. We can't put later versions
 on because we'd need a licence to do so, but Petro Tyschtschenko has given us
 permission to include this version of AmigaOS on all AFCDs from now on.

To extract the files, simply have a stack of six disks at the ready for
 insertion into df0: (or whichever drive you've set up in AFCDPrefs) and then
 double click on the DMS archive icons.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Files on Amiga Format CD #51: AFCD51/+System+/Tools/Workbench/Workbench 3.x/

Install.dms
 Workbench.dms
 Locale.dms
 Fonts.dms
 Extras.dms
 Storage.dms
 OS3.1_BoingBag1.lzx
 AF_Readme

A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 05:48:05 PM »
Quote from: dammy;635133
Once Cloanto offers a copy of WB3.1 for sale unbundled, I will happily purchase it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;635136
@Franko

Someone pointed out in another thread that Petro gave Amiga Workbench 3.0 free to the community along time ago.

@ AmigaHeretic

That's just one of the reasons why I can't understand why the copyright mafia here rattle their gums all the time... :(

I collected and bought all those old AmigaFormat CoverDisk CDs and right up until the last one ever issued with Amiga Format Issue number 136 (AFCD 52) in May 2000 they were indeed giving away freely Workbench 3.0 ... :)

I'm only making sure that I have done all that I need to that would stand up in any court of law as being "reasonable" should anyone who may still own the copyright on them wish to challenge me on the distribution of them, should the need arise... :)

As I am more than satisfied that I have done so and as no-one has responded then I am preparing to make these Workbench Disk Sets available on my sites. Hence the reason for this thread, a last chance for anyone to advise me on contacting anyone who I may have missed in trying to obtain a licence and to ask the site owners, administrators and mods to please not be influenced by the copyright mafia here, who neither own any of the material let alone have a scooby doo about the legality of who may own it and even more so, the simple fact it has nothing to do with them in the first place... :)

Offline Cool_amigaN

• Show only replies by Cool_amigaN
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;635135
So...Cloanto donating money to an OpenSource (Open as in free to download and modify) project affects people downloading original commodore OS how?  Once Aros68k doesn't suck, don't you think people will flock to it?  This isn't about Cloanto or AROS, its about you and Franko.  THAT is what I was inferring by giving it a rest.  Making up some bullshit reason for your Quixotic campaign doesn't change that fact.

Do not get into a debate with him. As I have pointed out offering stock 1.x-3.1 ADFs is completely different from selling a complete, fully functional, patched and up to date (as much as possible), amiga emulated environment with lots of extra goodies. No one is going to download 3.1 ADFs just to recreate AF.

« Reply #29 from previous page: May 03, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
@ Cool_amigaN

Couldn't agree more with you in what you said in your post and as I think I've given enough details and reasons for me doing this, then I'll leave it up to the admins & mods here to decide if the link in my signature to CommodoreScotland.com should be removed when I make this stuff available... :)

Just don't understand why Amiga sites seem to have more than their fare share of these copyright mafia numpties who quite apart from the fact they don't own the stuff they have even less of clue about copyright and don't realise that the rest of us don't give a toss what they have to say... :)