Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Hyperion the new Amiga Inc.?  (Read 15314 times)

Description:

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
Re: Is Hyperion the new Amiga Inc.?
« Reply #89 from previous page: February 23, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;617522
I've already given you a few of them and even provided a specific example which Jorkany was kind enough to provide citation for.

Your response to that was to ignore everything said and turn to quote mining.

Like I said in regard to your response to Kesa: Typical.

I pointed out to Kesa that attacking the person - an ad hominen attack - is not a good way to win an argument. Attack the argument itself - that's the way to go.

Therefore I bow down to your extremely subtle referential sarcasm in writing "As for Hattig, well that figures." out of nowhere.

Offline number6

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;617571
Cheers. I considered that, but it appeared the final final release was December - which makes it worse in two ways - even longer to develop it, and a shorter time to 4.1 which was also paid. I'm not being easy on Hyperion here! :-)

It may seem odd to issue a "final" and then follow that with an "update". But you have to put this in perspective of what followed. (cancellation of contract).
That needed to happen sooner, as opposed to later in most people's minds, hence the odd order of release.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2011, 09:59:58 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;617565
Is this the Commodore USA thing? I think we already worked out that was because they were going to use the Amiga name with AROS, and Amiga Inc. couldn't license the Amiga name to Commodore USA for that particular use because of the terms of the license with Hyperion. Or the 2005 quote about Aros, which someone else in this thread earlier said wasn't something they were worrying about any longer, and as common sense dictates isn't an issue because they haven't been going after AROS itself, nor the iMica or Ares One - not that we know of anyway.
Well, the fact that we even have to clarify between multiple instances here says a lot, but I was specifically referring to the threatening discussion about AROS and MorphOS. The CUSA thing is at least not completely groundless (after all, they did sign that agreement,) but badmouthing legitimate, underived competitors and impugning their legal status because they're stepping in on your territory is completely indefensible.

Now, I do understand that that was some time ago, Hermans has left (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong,) and I don't think that it's entirely reasonable to hold their past misdeeds against them indefinitely. (Though as near as I can determine, they've yet to apologize in any way, shape, or form for that behavior.) My objection here is more to the idea expressed by multiple people in this thread that their behavior is somehow justified by their producing a product for the Amiga community, like their usefulness in one regard gives them carte blanche to get away with whatever FUDding and contract shenanigans they feel like. That is not an acceptable excuse, never has been, and never will be.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline number6

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;617577
Now, I do understand that that was some time ago, Hermans has left (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong,) and I don't think that it's entirely reasonable to hold their past misdeeds against them indefinitely.

No. That is incorrect, unless something changed this week. heh.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
Quote from: number6;617582
Thanks for the correction. All the more reason to not turn a blind eye to this behavior out of convenience, then.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2011, 03:22:51 AM »
Quote from: number6;617582

Hermans stepped down couple of years ago (as I recall he got a job in a Belgian law company) but came back around A-eon press release last year. He has been somewhat active between as I have seen him logging on to IRC.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2011, 04:57:24 AM »
Quote from: itix;617620
Hermans stepped down couple of years ago (as I recall he got a job in a Belgian law company) but came back around A-eon press release last year. He has been somewhat active between as I have seen him logging on to IRC.

So far as I can tell Ben is the only employee of Hyperion, all the developers seem to be contractors, they in turn licence the compiled code (though not the source or the ownership rights) back to Hyperion in lieu of pay. I suspect that latter part plays a major role in why OS4 development has been so glacial - with developers leaving for jobs that actually pay, Hyperion are left with potentially flawed bits of code they're legally not allowed to alter and thus have to re-implement all over again.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2011, 04:58:27 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;617577
My objection here is more to the idea expressed by multiple people in this thread that their behavior is somehow justified by their producing a product for the Amiga community, like their usefulness in one regard gives them carte blanche to get away with whatever FUDding and contract shenanigans they feel like. That is not an acceptable excuse, never has been, and never will be.

QFMFT++

Best post of the thread, by far.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2011, 05:03:46 AM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;617458
Mods - please close this thread due to it being really really BORING!

:D

+1
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;617627
So far as I can tell Ben is the only employee of Hyperion, all the developers seem to be contractors, they in turn licence the compiled code (though not the source or the ownership rights) back to Hyperion in lieu of pay.

Ben's day job is in a Belgian law company and I dont think Hyperion ever got formal employees at all. This kind of job (industry) just does not require an office nor employees.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook