Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Hyperion the new Amiga Inc.?  (Read 15323 times)

Description:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Is Hyperion the new Amiga Inc.?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
Quote from: number6;617233
Sometimes what is said in public is not reflective of the private reality. Your post would indicate a somewhat negative spin on Hyperion and AHT relations, no?
Are you dead certain such a negative relationship exists or existed?
It was posted in court documents so it is real Mr. Evert quote (his Sep 25 2005 reply to Bill McEwen of Amiga Inc). While it may suggest some strain in some relations (irrelevant) it does quite explicitly point out that Hyperion considers AROS illegal.

I'm well aware of what you are pointing to here, but are others going to understand you are referring to management and not to those hobbyists who make a choice to use a particular operating system?
If they fail to see that then there's little I can do to help them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:27:06 PM by Piru »

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »
Quote from: Franko;617227
How on earth can you show respect to a company like CUSA when they and their mouthpieces show no respect to the Amiga Community whatsoever... :(

Well, to be honest I wrote my comment with Hyperion in mind, not CUSA.. :) Since they havent done much so far, there isnt much to respect either. Doesnt mean they deserve all the crap that people keep saying, though.

Uh and as for Hyperion and lack of updates for OS4.. At least we *have* OS4. But I might have missed something, isnt there going to be a 4.1 release for classic anymore? :|
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
Quote from: Piru;617226

I have been in contact with Evert after this about AROS. I can't provide details but I am not worried about legality of AROS.

CUSA is receiving similar threats now. Sounds like a typical MO for Hyperion.

The case is different as Amiga Inc. has agreed to not compete with AmigaOS 4 under the Amiga name and Hyperion considers the use of AROS together with a the Amiga name as competition.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Piru

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 06:44:22 PM »
Quote from: Fats;617239
I have been in contact with Evert after this about AROS. I can't provide details but I am not worried about legality of AROS.
AROS or MorphOS have nothing to fear legally. Hyperion's empty threats were called years ago already.

I have to agree though that such tactics indeed remind me of Amiga, Inc.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 06:46:39 PM »
Sorry to but in here but...

Has anybody seen me favourite black pen, you know the one with me initials on it in wee gold letters, I'm sure I left it round here somewhere... :(

If anyone spots it please let me know, cos writing a letter of complaint with a red crayon don't look too professional you know... ta very glad... :)

Just butting out again... :)

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »
I find it funny that a lot of people are surprised that the official AmigaOS developers (weather you like it or not) moaned and complied about the unofficial AmigaOS 'very inspired' releases, it is after all their main competition, it would have been nice if they had been a bit more friendly and tried to work together but I think partly because there is money involved and lawyers (what is it about the Amiga that attracts lawyer, they must like the legal mess, maybe its a nice challenge for them)  rather than see it as evil competition scam braking coyright laws as I'm sure they could of worked something out and work together more, at the very least on the hardware side supporting the same hardware to bost sales (peg2 port was nice to see but would of been nicer a few year earlyier, but I guess amiga inc might of stop that)(ps I on about MorpthOs and AmigaOS here) threatening legal action is I think they are starting to realise is only going to annoy the community who like all the options and just want the best Amiga experiences they can have weather it MorpthOS, Aros, or maybe in some people eyes BeOS, I think Tever being in charge of Aeon was a wise call, because he said it before, he just like OS4 more but loves all the other efforts and supports them, just he support his main interest more by hopefully bring us the best ppc amiga you can buy and I really wish there was a way to to get MorpthOS and Aros on the machine so we could finally have a all in one Amiga to support but there are still people who live in the past and dont let bygone be bygone, and I'm on about OS4 and MorthOS team. Aros guys just seem to do their own thing and I think have keep out of the trolling and dirt a lot more than the rest of the community.

Like this very thread have proved again.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:05:37 PM by AmigaNG »

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »
Is Hyperion the new Amiga Inc.?

Isn't that obvious?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline jorkanyTopic starter

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;617249
I find it funny that a lot of people are surprised that the official AmigaOS developers (weather you like it or not) moaned and complied about the unofficial AmigaOS 'very inspired' releases, it is after all their main competition, it would have been nice if they had been a bit more friendly and tried to work together but I think partly because there is money involved and lawyers (what is it about the Amiga that attracts lawyer, they must like the legal mess, maybe its a nice challenge for them)  rather than see it as evil competition scam braking coyright laws as I'm sure they could of worked something out and work together more, at the very least on the hardware side supporting the same hardware to boot sales (I on about MorpthOs and AmigaOS here) threatening legal action is I think they are starting to realise is only going to annoy the community who like all the options and just want the best Amiga experiences they can have weather it MorpthOS, Aros, or maybe in some people eyes BeOS, I think Tever being in charge of Aeon was a wise call, because he said it before, he just like OS4 more but loves all the other efforts and supports them, just he support his main interest more by hopefully bring us the best ppc amiga you can buy and I really wish there was a way to to get MorpthOS and Aros on the machine so we could finally have a all in one Amiga to support but there are still people who live in the past and dont let bygone be bygone, and I'm on about OS4 and MorthOS team.

No offense...but this just might be the longest one-sentence non sequitur ever!

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
I got a E in GCSE English :banana:  (thank god for spell checker on the computer other wise you would have a lot more to laugh at.)

Plan to take a english course up very soon to improve, so no offense taken, as I know I'm bad. :(

Offline Piru

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
hopefully bring us the best ppc amiga you can buy and I really wish there was a way to to get MorpthOS and Aros on the machine so we could finally have a all in one Amiga to support

That's not going to happen. In order for someone to write support for some particular HW it needs to be available and reasonably priced. X1000 just doesn't qualify.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
I find it funny that a lot of people are surprised that the official AmigaOS developers (weather you like it or not) moaned and complied about the unofficial AmigaOS 'very inspired' releases, it is after all their main competition
Thing is, though, it being understandable from a business standpoint doesn't make it okay. Their claims were groundless and everybody knew it, yet they tried to intimidate legitimate competitors into backing down with the threat of legal action. That's some SCO shit right there. A good business responds to competition with counter-competition, not by trying to bully their competitors out of the market.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;617253
I got a E in GCSE English :banana:  (thank god for spell checker on the computer other wise you would have a lot more to laugh at.)

Plan to take a english course up very soon to improve, so no offense taken, as I know I'm bad. :(

Quick and dirty guide to making things more readable: Where you would take a breath during a sentence, add a comma. When covering something related to the previous sentence use a full stop.

When moving to a new topic start it off as a fresh paragraph.

(Yes, I too felt the cries of many pedants out there crying out in agony, but fuck it.)

So, your original post might look something like this:

I find it funny that a lot of people are surprised that the official AmigaOS developers (weather you like it or not) moaned and complained about the unofficial AmigaOS 'very inspired' releases, it is after all their main competition.

It would have been nice if they had been a bit more friendly and tried to work together, but I think partly because there is money involved and lawyers (what is it about the Amiga that attracts lawyer, they must like the legal mess, maybe its a nice challenge for them) rather than see it as evil competition scam braking copyright laws as I'm sure they could of worked something out and work together.

At the very least on the hardware side supporting the same hardware to boost sales (I on about MorpthOs and AmigaOS here) threatening legal action is I think they are starting to realise is only going to annoy the community who like all the options and just want the best Amiga experiences they can have weather it MorpthOS, Aros, or maybe in some people eyes BeOS, I think Trever being in charge of Aeon was a wise call, because he said it before, he just like OS4 more but loves all the other efforts and supports them, just he support his main interest more by hopefully bring us the best ppc amiga you can buy.

I really wish there was a way to to get MorpthOS and Aros on the machine so we could finally have a all in one Amiga to support but there are still people who live in the past and dont let bygone be bygone, and I'm on about OS4 and MorthOS team.

Yes, I also did some other very minor alterations there too for clarities sake.

Honestly mate, the best way to get a better working understanding of language is to read books, as many as you can. It'll help expand your vocabulary not to mention your imagination. If you're a bit stuck for books or, like me skint, then I would suggest the Gutenburg project as it has tens of thousands of free (legally so) books.

Happy reading and good luck with your course when you do it!
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
Quote from: runequester;617216
Hyperion has put out actual amiga product. Amiga inc seems to be somewhat short in this regard.

Almost forgot: screw mac, amiga is the way

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »
Declaring the competing projects illegal is a curious way to gather community spirit.

http://www.sintonen.fi/temp/hermans.txt
http://www.biclodon.com/misc/amigafarm/benhermans/

and

CUSA is receiving similar threats now. Sounds like a typical MO for Hyperion.

So sorry but I can't feel warn & fuzzy about Hyperion.
gee am agreeing with you l got say pretty dispointing what am reading of late
just when seriously thinking buying a sam 460 too
l guess l take my chances with the shark inclosure rather  than lawers offfice
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
Quote from: Piru;617235
It was posted in court documents so it is real Mr. Evert quote (his Sep 25 2005 reply to Bill McEwen of Amiga Inc). While it may suggest some strain in some relations (irrelevant) it does quite explicitly point out that Hyperion considers AROS illegal.

If they fail to see that then there's little I can do to help them.

gee twice in one day next be sending you xmas card

yes well before the legal action amiga os 4 chould been techincally untill tested

been not fully legal so seems bit rich hyperion saying aros is illegal

and its the spirt of the thing apart from lawers all the care about is money and

complicating things to make more money.

if you have decent people coding for right reasons surley they can work toghter for same

goal moving the amiga platform forward

just like ford and gm if ford makes cool model it improve the breed and make people

intrested in buying cars helps everone, l mean people talk amiga being hobby computer
which is true but yeah , all computers are hobby for me becuase l dont use them
for work or make money from them anyway

so am sure there good people in all groups working on amiga projects just love to
see some common sence and less fighting
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 22, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
I'm beyond caring now.

I am only interested in AROS maturing to completion and how expensive Natami will be.

Until someone uses a couple of brain cells and builds a cheap IBM Xenon CPU based motherboard for mass market then here's nothing to see as far as MOS/OS4 new hardware goes. Xenon or $100 600 MIPS Coldfire native port of those two OS options is the only future for Amiga compatibles. PPC price/performance is a joke.......as is CUSA LINUX + UAE claptrap frankly :roflmao: