Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Given x1000 news is everywhere.....but nonchalance prevails  (Read 15982 times)

Description:

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
Re: Given x1000 news is everywhere.....but nonchalance prevails
« Reply #194 from previous page: June 23, 2010, 10:23:13 PM »
Quote from: Andre.Siegel;566793

Third-party releases from individual developers are a different story. I cannot possibly have insight into all of those. But as far as official MorphOS news items go, timing has absolutely nothing to do with any outside influences. There have never been official announcements of future announcements either...

To clarify I was referring to MorphOS related news, not MorphOS official announcements.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;566778

I actually was one of the most vocal supporters of the Alt Amiga OS forum showing on the main page.  ssolie and I had several public arguments over this.  Membership voted for it getting on the main page, and it did.  The point that I think irks many AW.net regulars at this point is that there is a group of MorphOS users that don't use that forum much, if at all, and instead seek to hijack and/or derail OS4 threads in OS4 forums.

It is called paranoia.

On the other hand if you mean press releases... it is an open invitation. You can always manage private mailing list or forums if you want comments from other people.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2010, 11:10:08 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;566779
@ffastback

You explain and put up examples. And in my eyes all these annoyances about "MorphOS guys posting in OS4 threads" boils down to one thing: the "you've got to keep'em separated" norm; that you have been a part of for so long now yourself, that it probably has become a norm and normal to you as well. "They shouldn't post here, in this fine thread! After all, we provided some other fine place for them to be!". Whites in the front of the bus, blacks in the back. Apartheid.

no no no...the point is that here and also at AW almost every post specifically regarding AmigaOS gets hijacked (in a negative/ trashing way) by MOS people EVEN when the OP specifically states that he does not want to hear about any other options etc.  This is so blatantly obvious to even the most casual user.  You call this behaviour 'apartheid' :angry:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2010, 11:16:36 PM »
So this went from arguing about the equipment to arguing about OS4 vs MorphOS to arguing about forum vs forum flamewars.

This makes windows/linux discussions look mature and well reasoned.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2010, 11:17:24 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;566808
no no no...the point is that here and also at AW almost every post specifically regarding AmigaOS gets hijacked (in a negative/ trashing way) by MOS people EVEN when the OP specifically states that he does not want to hear about any other options etc.  This is so blatantly obvious to even the most casual user.  You call this behaviour 'apartheid' :angry:

I've seen MorphOS people trash talk OS4, but not AmigaOS. If OS4 really was AmigaOS that wouldn't happen.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »
Quote from: runequester;566810
So this went from arguing about the equipment to arguing about OS4 vs MorphOS to arguing about forum vs forum flamewars.

Flamewars? You must be new here! :lol:

Seriously though, if you want to see genuine flame wars, take a gander at the archives circa 2004. Now those were flamewars! :eek:

Quote from: runequester;566810

This makes windows/linux discussions look mature and well reasoned.

Obviously never been to Ars, or /. or OSNews. :laughing:
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2010, 01:22:19 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;566814

Be careful, I said something like that and got roasted :flame:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2010, 01:49:35 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;566814

Seriously though, if you want to see genuine flame wars, take a gander at the archives circa 2004. Now those were flamewars! :eek:
Is this one of those "knowledge mankind was not meant to view" situations where things will reach out of the monitor and do bad things to me?

Offline klx300r

« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2010, 02:18:25 AM »
Quote from: jorkany;566811
I've seen MorphOS people trash talk OS4, but not AmigaOS. If OS4 really was AmigaOS that wouldn't happen.

ahh bait thrown but too tired to take it...but thanks for proving a point:rolleyes:

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2010, 02:59:53 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;566846
ahh bait thrown but too tired to take it...but thanks for proving a point:rolleyes:

Yeah..... that is kinda the pot calling the kettle black. :roflmao:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2010, 03:03:15 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;566849

With the subtle difference jorkany doesn't use MorphOS (nor AROS, i believe).

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2010, 03:15:07 AM »
There is really no apps or games on OS4 I can't find elsewhere. It's fine for a hobby OS, but Amiga is my hobby not OS4. I'll stay hoping for 68k Amigas which lets me run software that is lean an mean. I want an Amiga experience the way I believe it should be. Thankfully I can find others who share my viewpoint.
Even if Amiga was a big company you would still have separate factions running different versions of the OS and you would even have a PowerPC and an x86 camp.
I think the fighting here is pretty mild. I don't think people believing strongly about something is going to drive people away, but a lot of apathy might.
If you want to see excitement give them what they have been asking for: an 'affordable' PowerPC card, OS4 on x86 or Firefox on OS4 and classic Amiga. I never asked for a PowerPC box so why should I be interested?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline klx300r

« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2010, 04:01:29 AM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r  
ahh bait thrown but too tired to take it...but thanks for proving a point

Quote from: Methuselas;566849

not much for kettles but I do like broccoli:afro:...when I go into a MOS thread and start trashing it then perhaps you can cut & paste your comment.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2010, 04:22:55 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;566841
Be careful, I said something like that and got roasted :flame:

True enough, makes a change for me to be watching it rather than experiencing it however :roflmao:

Quote from: runequester;566845
Is this one of those "knowledge mankind was not meant to view" situations where things will reach out of the monitor and do bad things to me?

:lol:

Your prescience serves you well.

So what are next weeks lotto numbers? ;)
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline DAX

• Show only replies by DAX
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »
@TakeMeHomeMama
People might be happily discussing about AOS and you waltz in saying HOW Mos is better.
Sure it has its benefits, and if the OP is interested, why not choose MOS instead? That's fine, however turning every OS4 thread into a petty competition only lead to the usual guys (old timers) fighting it out, the OP loses interest, and leave.
When I see this i generally waltz in myself with statements such as "people like to think of amiga as AmigaOS running on a custom computer not as a hermit crab that runs on Apple scraps" on purpose, just to show how ugly it can get if you keep the harsh competition up (and in particular, talking about my first 2 hours here, I also checked in to see what moderators do here to avoid what i believe will scare away EVERYONE from NG Amiga solutions).
You said I didn't like the arguments and cryed for mods, so i argued a little more...
Remember that the minor adjustments to OS4.1 are finished and after the X1000 port, all they will have as "work" will be the much needed 3D subsystem replacement (and other modernizations such as SMP)but as I already said,  If in the future AOS gets a full Mesa port and new 3D drivers, i won't  come here saying "look MOSSERS, shove that 64MB vram c*ap up your a*se  now" in any thread some ex Amigan gone mac, asks about MorphOS for his Mac hardware.

It's not the way to go if we want back comers, both AOS and MOS, try to understand that.

@gazgod

I see I steered some waters, but quite frankly I saw my share of biased and ill informed opinions durin those "call outs" (as you called them) with no proof whatsoever presented to corroborate them.
"ill informed", here is a summary of what I've been saying regarding "classics" and amiga possible evolution (which leads to NG Amigas) Correct me if I'm wrong (I am an open person):

We know the A1000 was a game console which was then decided to be turned into a computer, we also know that for how advanced it was it was very expensive and C= sold very little, with no SW made to use its real power (at that time, I mean, 1985).
At the time the A500 came out, C= missed the first of many trains by ditching the Ranger chipset (to which also Miner had worked on) and we know that by 1994, C= decided to scrap Amiga for good.
We also know that the "last" Amiga (hombre was no Amiga) they talked about at 1993 devcon was to have the AAA chip-set as a modular interchangeable board, the whole project was ditched, we know that, but if for a moment we want to forecast what would have happened in case they made it, we can clearly see that by 1996/97 off the shelf GPUs, which were advancing at the pace of a new chip every 3 months at the time (from 10 different companies) would have replaced any chip-set C= had in mind (with the difference that in the A4000 adding an RTG card still leaves the old chipset there, with that new Amiga, after taking AAA away, there would be no GFX chipset left inside the machine) and by today any Amiga would use Ati or Nvidia GPUs (there was no competing with that evolution speed, too fast).
Amiga in 1994 was already only good as a media authoring workstation (2D/3D/Video) with a very little (if any) place in the gaming market.
Then Commodore failed, Amiga went from Escom (first purchaser) to Amiga Inc. (last)
Amiga Inc. wanted to divide its Amiga business in their "anywhere idea" and a more classic rendition of the platform (new AmigaOne HW running AmigaOS4), and this latter part, has been legally handed over to Hyperion in the last settlement.

We go on and on, but the bottom line is, don't be surprised if adult amigans that grew up professionally with it (accelerator cards, RTG, mediators and whatnot) and understand that the abandonment of magic chipsets, was inevitable, see the X1000 as a new Amiga workstation, they weren't using such chipsets since for-ever anyway (they used their Picasso, V-Lab Motion and Video Toasters instead) and they would love to use a modern one again (some might chose MOS which is also an excellent choice with great merit).
Saying "it's no amiga" because of the absence of magical chipsets, with how the world evolved since then, it's rather pointless quite frankly.

AOS MOS and AROS machines, are Amiga, not 1985 console Amiga, but NG Amiga personal computers that allow you (or "aim to" as a future goal) to do modern computing the Amiga way.

I know the "Amiga way" for many here has just been insert the floppy and auto-load the game, but for many others it was more than that. NG Amigas are aimed at this second group.

@pyromania
it is unfortunate that the majority of AOS4 users went away, and it doesn't help that there are more MOS and AROS users posting at AW than here.
When we talk next gen I see more pluralism there due to the above simple fact, here however there is the healthiest classic users population, which makes this a very popular site nonetheless.
Things can improve though, like me, many AOS4 users would post here if we avoid doing what i told TMHM above which makes things ugly and scares away back comers (MHO of course).
Anyway, I for starters am here to stay ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:36:56 PM by DAX »